Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucylot
    • By lucylot 17th Apr 17, 7:47 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 9Thanks
    lucylot
    Voluntary redundancy/retirement &JSA
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:47 AM
    Voluntary redundancy/retirement &JSA 17th Apr 17 at 7:47 AM
    I am taking voluntary redundancy and early retirement next month. My pension isn't very generous and I will be looking for part time work. My husband says that I can claim JSA. Is this correct even though I have left work voluntarily
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    You can claim JSA as long as you are looking for work.

Any earned income(pensions count as earned income) can effect the actual payment(still get the NI credit).

(unless it has changed VR was OK for JSA claims from the date of termination)
    • lucylot
    • By lucylot 17th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    lucylot
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    I know I will only be able to claim contribution based JSA due to savings and joint income. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to claim anything because I was leaving voluntarily. Thanks for your advice
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Apr 17, 7:27 PM
    • 35,304 Posts
    • 45,428 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:27 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:27 PM
    You said also that you were going to retire early. In which case you cant claim Jsa. Have you been paying fill Ni contributions
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    you can still claim JSA if still under state pension age, even if you have a pension.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 18th Apr 17, 3:33 AM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:33 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:33 AM
    you can still claim JSA if still under state pension age, even if you have a pension.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    But as far as I know the pension income will be deducted from the JSA amount, even if you qualify for contributions based JSA, so you may only end up with NI credits.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th Apr 17, 5:19 AM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:19 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:19 AM
    But as far as I know the pension income will be deducted from the JSA amount, even if you qualify for contributions based JSA, so you may only end up with NI credits.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    That's what I said in the first reply....
    • lucylot
    • By lucylot 18th Apr 17, 6:52 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    lucylot
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:52 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:52 AM
    Thanks for all your advice. I am 6 years off getting my State Pension. I have enough NI conts for the full SP so unless they are going to pay me JSA no point claiming it
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th Apr 17, 7:28 AM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:28 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:28 AM
    At 73.1pw and a 4 reduction any pension money will make it not worth the effort to satisfy JC+.

you could defer the pension a few months but is it worth it, especially if you fancy a break.

Also the JSA is taxable, depending on the redundancy payout, pension and any new job income you could end up seeing some of it disappear anyway.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 18th Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Thanks for all your advice. I am 6 years off getting my State Pension. I have enough NI conts for the full SP so unless they are going to pay me JSA no point claiming it
    Originally posted by lucylot
    Have you had a state pension forecast? If you were ever contracted out then due to the changes last year you might still be able to increase your pension.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • lucylot
    • By lucylot 18th Apr 17, 10:55 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    lucylot
    I have had a state pension forecast and the amount I will get is reduced because I have been in a local govt pension scheme and have been contracted out.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Apr 17, 8:02 AM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    I have had a state pension forecast and the amount I will get is reduced because I have been in a local govt pension scheme and have been contracted out.
    Originally posted by lucylot
    In that case, working, signing on just to get credits or voluntarily paying NI contributions may be worth it, as each additional NI year you get going forward will increase that amount by around 4.45 a week up to the maximum.
    • lucylot
    • By lucylot 19th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    lucylot
    Where would I find more info about this please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,742Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin