Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Apr 17, 7:31 AM
    • 1,775Posts
    • 11,977Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do this week. W/c 17th April
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:31 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week. W/c 17th April 17th Apr 17 at 7:31 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 2
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 27,983 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Yorkshire - sorry you're feeling a bit blue. I think that some days are just like that. I've literally just posted on my diary that I'm stumped as to how I earn so much but still have to watch every single penny. Hope that you're feeling a bit better today.
    I've had another rough night. Think it's the stress of not doing my school work so I'm going to make that my top priority for today. Even though I'd far rather be crocheting.
    Have had to rejig the budget to cover my minor overspend in Scotland so we'll have a frugal few days ahead as well.
    Have a good day all
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 33,745 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Managed to get lots done yesterday, so hoping for similar success today!

Today's plans:
    Used up leftovers for breakfast Done
    Clean kitchen Done
    Dog walks x 2 (he is still looking very curly from his bath yesterday ) Done
    Uncover fruit trees which I covered with fleece yesterday to guard against forecast frost. Will probably need to put this back on later, but the pollinating insects will need to get at the flowers during the day. Done
    Find a box and pack an ebay item sold late last night Done
    Post this, along with 3 other items that sold over the weekend

Posted the original 3, packed, but not posted the other item. It needed cleaning and as it is a vintage enamel item, I didnt want to pack it until bone dry. I will post it tomorrow
    Visit sales unit and change stock Done
    Strip spare bed and wash linen, peg out on line to dry Not done
    Hoover upstairs (first floor, anyway!) Not done this either
    Check for surveys Did a few for onepoll
    Log onto HMRC web site as apparently there is a message for me - doubt if it is something I want to hear, but better find out what they want! This is a faff with codes sent to phones etc Done, nothing important / or that I didn't know
    Make a cake as we have run out of treats - I have all the ingredients in, so no additional cost Done
    Continue with shopping list, though I don't intend to go today Done
    Rest of smoked fish and rice thing I made yesterday for dinner, with freshly cooked veg Done
    Listed an item on ebay

Can't think of anything else atm, so will update later. I do find these lists very motivating, as they kind of hold me accountable.... anyone else feel like that?

DD2 and little GD came round this afternoon, so I didn't get all done that I intended to. Must remember to include those on tomorrow's list!
    Last edited by DawnW; 18-04-2017 at 8:27 PM.

• WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 18th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,547 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Morning, i hope its ok if i join in again

This week i aim to:

-avoid the supermarkets and all shops
    -use up some of what i already have
    -do some baking
    -stick to my meal plan
    -write next weeks budget
    -mop downstairs
    -visit the GP about a form i need filling in
    -make an appointment with the CAB
    -do some research about ESA for my son
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 18th Apr 17, 10:46 AM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning WantyobeSE, where ya been?

I took the cat to the vet this morning, it's an abscess from a scratch from my stroppy cat. She really is miserable and horrible to her sister and this time it's cost me £117 (including flea drops.) At least it wasn't anything more serious.

I came out without my lunch again today I was rushing to catch the train (they are 30 minutes apart outside rush hour) but hopefully the sooner I get there the less chance they will take me up on my offer to only bill for a half day (though I don't mind if I have to.)

I've not made any plans for dinner tonight, the cheapest option would be pasta which I have all the ingredients for. I'll also do the YS run for more fruit if there is any.

Have a lovely day, everyone, so glad it's a short week!
    Lunches brought to work in August 16/22 Money saved to date £34.98 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £126.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 18th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 17,881 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Just paid the last £19 off my only CC with interest. Now onto the 0% card.

Paid £1188.09 to debts this month so pretty happy with that.
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 18th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 17,881 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Can't think of anything else atm, so will update later. I do find these lists very motivating, as they kind of hold me accountable.... anyone else feel like that?
    Originally posted by DawnW
    Definitely! I kinda went off the rails when I stopped posting around 3 years ago - we moved house (far more expenses than we first anticipated) and I wasn't accountable in any way... #badtimes
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 18th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 17,881 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Definitely! I kinda went off the rails when I stopped posting around 3 years ago - we moved house (far more expenses than we first anticipated) and I wasn't accountable in any way... #badtimes
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    Gosh, all this talk about moving house 3 years ago. I thought I'd have a little search of house prices etc and found my old house up for sale. It looks lovely - I really do want to move back in! Looking at it just leaves me feeling so much regret about selling it. We wasted so much money moving city and renting the extortionate place for 18 months. I am happy with my current house but the neighbourhood and neighbours just aren't the same. I've also never had the feeling of 'I never want to move again' like I did with my old place. I want to move from here as soon as I can tbh...

I've been trying to put a positive spin on things and think of all the good points about moving but deep down I can't stop thinking that we should've stayed put and saved/paid off more. The commute may have killed me and I'm soooo happy I moved jobs and I really do like this city, but definitely feel like we are in a worse position debt-wise now. I guess everything happens for a reason so I've learnt some valuable lessons along the way and it will all even itself out by the time we pay off our debts and move to our forever home someday.

OK, sorry for spamming the thread - I will get back into my non-posting box now...
    • happytails
    • By happytails 18th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    happytails
    Hi all,

Joining in again (been a few months, maybe a year since i frequented this board).

Paid my friends and family back the money I borrowed

Checked bank

Sold some spare fabric for £15

Sarah
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 18th Apr 17, 4:51 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 4,492 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

We've made the most of the sunny day today by spending it in the park with family.
    Today's small things
    * Gym session done to make the most of my membership and filled water bottle there twice
    * Showered and continued use up of bathroom lotions and potions
    * Arranged to meet my parents for a walk and lunch, lunch was using vouchers from Tesco's that we'd changed for Chef & Brewer pubs, its was a lovely long walk there and back and the food was nice too
    * Took a ball with us to keep the kids entertained
    * Checked banking /updated spreadsheet
    * Rang hospital to see when ds can go in for his blood tests Will fit this in with taking the other ds to get his glasses fixed tomorrow
    * Washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash and hung it out on the line

Still to do
    * Bring the washing in
    * Not much food needed after our 3 course lunch!
    * Watch the last 2 episodes of The Night Manager on Amzn
    * Check fpl / lukcyphone

I think that's about it from me. Have a good day all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • mandySaver12
    • By mandySaver12 18th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    mandySaver12
    Making lunch for work everyday instead of buying it saves me £15 a week

Assume i work 40 weeks a year thats £600 a year
    Last edited by mandySaver12; 18-04-2017 at 5:31 PM. Reason: Add more info
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 6,346 Posts
    • 35,968 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Madam got her first choice school it's literally a 5 minute walk away and has excellent offsted reports. Really happy this anxious wait is over now for another 6 years

La E you are right, she is far too young! She only turns 4 in July So sad these early years are almost over
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2795.06/Roadkill £8.58
    NSDs Aug 3/15 CC saved £1802.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 18th Apr 17, 8:02 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    FatVonD
    MandySaver12, and that's if you only buy a meal deal, I work with people that spend twice that! If it's also money you've had to pay tax on you can add a nother 25% of earned income to that £600!

DNMS, glad madam got her first choice school, the summer babies look so tiny when they start! I was a July baby but back in the dark ages I wasn't allowed to start school until Easter, I was itching to go as my friends started in September!

LaE, I feel a bit like that about the house I was in when my son as born, I had a £70k mortgage on a 4 bed, 3 storey house. It seemed a lot 20 years ago but it would have been paid off by now. Selling it though bought me four years at home with my son, we all make decisions based on the circumstances at the time though. You will find somewhere else that you love, I'm really happy in the house I am in now and am so thankful when I pass my last house (on the train) that I don't live there any more
    Lunches brought to work in August 16/22 Money saved to date £34.98 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £126.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 18th Apr 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 10,332 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Evening everyone.

Purple Fairy thank you for starting this weeks thread.

Just popping into to subscribe to the thread so I can easily find you guys if I have a moment to sit down and type anything.

Yet another night with less than 4 hours sleep which is a shock as I usually have between 9 and 11 hours a night.

Last 2 nights we have all managed to sit down to a home cooked meal, we also made 2 loaves of bread yesterday and I am about to go downstairs a weigh out the ingredients so I can make flapjack in the morning.

I'm only not in bed now as I am waiting for the boys to get back from martial arts train8ing.

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 18th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 3,168 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello All,

Today I have;

- Revisited budget for the rest of the month.
    - Done top up shop, we have ended up out sync with bank holidays and going way, but got enough to the end of the week for work lunches and dinners.
    - Been out to a local attraction doing a £1 day, fun and cheap too.
    -Returned ebay hat, purchased for a wedding but it was very poor quality. - Bonus full refund and no need to return it, not that is much use.
    -Cleaned the house, ready for the week ahead.
    Originally posted by Lottebear
    - Made a great dinner with enough left over for tomorrow so moved internet shop until next week
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 18th Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 7,740 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hi all, I often read these weekly threads but rarely post.
    Today was almost a NSD but bought two small teddies for our new kittens. They are already snuggling them when they go to sleep so I think a good few pennies spent.

-Brunch from food we have in: potato scones with a fried egg, then a toasted hot cross bun. Dinner was using up leftover roast lamb from Easter weekend- lamb saut!ed in harissa with onions, cherry tomatoes served on homemade houmous with a warmed wrap and carrot salad on the side.

-early morning gym session completed so have got 12,000 steps in and using my membership to the fullest.

-Opened a new regular saver today and stashed some pennies in there, also swept money from my current account to savings to prevent mindless frittering away.

-Washing done and put outside on the airer to take advantage of the sunshine, and meter reads submitted and credit requested back from gas/elec supplier (credit is £150 so requested £100 refund)

-Yougov survey completed for 50p and 85p earned one poll, also checked free postcode lottery but no win, boo!
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 18-04-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    Emergency savings- £3750.96 /£6000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1743.34/ £2150. 81%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £279.15 July: £172.36 Aug: £203.24
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 18th Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    • 4,245 Posts
    • 34,257 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Thanks for the kind words, that's why I am here, you are a great bunch. Much better day today, just keep reminding myself of the good stuff. And job no. 2 makes a huge difference to our finances so for now I just have to get on with it.

LaE we moved here just because the area was cheap. It is lovely but very remote with no public transport which is hard for the teens. I would move to somewhere more central in a flash but it makes no financial sense at the moment and I cant face the hassle of moving.

Off at 6.45am this morning to go to the gym before work, 2 lots of paid stuff, kitchen cleaned, jambalaya made with bits out of the fridge, scones made because DH is low on extras for his pack up tomorrow. Have taken some meat out for tomorrow nights tea, will chuck it in the sc in the morning.

Bed now. I am with you all when the dfw wagon starts rolling tomorrow x
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 6,346 Posts
    • 35,968 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning boo to going to work! And today I am working the additional day so I have to travel for an hour to a different borough, battle the decisions the LA are making. Sometimes it seems like such a grind doing my job

Planning on visiting dd after work as I am working in her area. Be good to see how she is as I've been worrying about her

Madam is going to mil's so that £35 saved. I need to contact the cm as I noticed she hasn't deducted the bh off of the invoice so that is another £35 saved (obviously this will come after the awkward conversation!)

Because I'm doing ot out of area I don't have to leave until 9 and from then am on the clock (same coming back will finish at 4 but due to travel will put 9-5 on timesheet ) Will also get approx £25 in expenses for travel which should cover my petrol for the whole week

put washing out on line & put some seedlings in the greenhouse to start hardening them o

grab food & drinks to take with me

Busy night tonight as today is the actual day I will do my personal statement for my ma. For some reason there is something holding me back, I guess it's the fear of not being able to do it....

Going to speak to oh as would like to go to the lottie after I get back for an hour

read newsletter

Ok I better get cracking! Happy hump day guys x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 19th Apr 17, 7:31 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Well I made a tiny dent in Mount ironing Everest yesterday but it did feel good,if I can just conquer the rest now before it collapses everywhere I will be very happy.my DD has forgotten what clothes she actually owns
    Just one meeting today and then the rest of the day is mine. DD and myself went along to a meeting yesterday evening and did cheat on the way home, eating Maccies (treat budget well and truly over this month)while driving around looking for the cat. She will have been missing 3 weeks today. You're lucky to find a cat full stop, so it's turned into a cat spotting game. Have found one cat 3 different times, I'm sure it glares at me everytime I spot it. It doesn't seem impressed with me at all
    I'm glad that your cat is OK FVD. Costly little blighters, but so worth it and I'm glad it was nothing more serious.
    LaE brilliant about ur credit card and an amazing amount paid to debts this year.
    I love it when I hear people achieving success on their debt free journey, it keeps me focused.
    BB be kind to yourself. I'm not surprised that u are not sleeping alot, ur family have just been through a very traumatic event.
    DNMS great news about madam getting into first choice school, the years go so quickly. I remember someone saying wait till they get to secondary school, it does go even faster and they were right.
    Managed to get washing out yesterday and more planned to go on the line today.
    Just about to do the cat cleaning stuff
    Run hoover over and mop floor.
    Squeeze in last night's Holby City episode.

Have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Apr 17, 7:41 AM
    • 6,346 Posts
    • 35,968 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Well I made a tiny dent in Mount ironing Everest yesterday but it did feel good,if I can just conquer the rest now before it collapses everywhere I will be very happy.my DD has forgotten what clothes she actually owns
    Just one meeting today and then the rest of the day is mine. DD and myself went along to a meeting yesterday evening and did cheat on the way home, eating Maccies (treat budget well and truly over this month)while driving around looking for the cat. She will have been missing 3 weeks today. You're lucky to find a cat full stop, so it's turned into a cat spotting game. Have found one cat 3 different times, I'm sure it glares at me everytime I spot it. It doesn't seem impressed with me at all
    I'm glad that your cat is OK FVD. Costly little blighters, but so worth it and I'm glad it was nothing more serious.
    LaE brilliant about ur credit card and an amazing amount paid to debts this year.
    I love it when I hear people achieving success on their debt free journey, it keeps me focused.
    BB be kind to yourself. I'm not surprised that u are not sleeping alot, ur family have just been through a very traumatic event.
    DNMS great news about madam getting into first choice school, the years go so quickly. I remember someone saying wait till they get to secondary school, it does go even faster and they were right.
    Managed to get washing out yesterday and more planned to go on the line today.
    Just about to do the cat cleaning stuff
    Run hoover over and mop floor.
    Squeeze in last night's Holby City episode.

Have a good day everyone x
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    you wait until they have moved out and have their own lives HK! It's like the time when we were all a family unit belongs to someone else, and in a way it does. I miss when it was just me and my 2 kids facing the world together....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all, and hello kittenkirst

I'm awake early to get DS up for his apprenticeship he's up and getting ready so fingers crossed something comes of it!

I went to sleep earlyish last night so feel a bit more human than I did yesterday, the first day back is always harder after a break

I have some YS broccoli and Stilton soup in the freezer that I can take in for lunch today, a little anti social but needs must!

Tonight I need to print and make up the order of service that I am doing for my mum's friend, I'm just waiting on the final bit of info which is due today. I can then drop them to my mum's tomorrow evening so they have them in good time.

Still have a mountain of clothes to sort and iron and/or put away, it's my least favourite job. There's also a mountain of washing up been brought out of the teens room which they assured me they would wash up themselves but DSGF has cut her hand so it's bandaged and DS won't be here. I'll sort it and put some in to soak before I leave for work which will at least alleviate the need for a chisel.

Have a good day everyone

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

8,566Users online

Martin's Twitter