Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 16th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3,041Posts
    • 2,346Thanks
    dekaspace
    Can't get my head round pre pay gas top ups
    • 16th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    Can't get my head round pre pay gas top ups 16th Apr 17 at 8:05 PM
    Over the years never understood how the meters take credit i.e I have £2 left of £5 emergency so I top up £10 and get like £4 into credit.

In recent years I go for no standing charge companies and the current one confuses me.

When I moved in there was 3.75 of electric in and I assumed it would be wiped, instead I got a new card and that 3.75 stayed.

I only use the gas for washing plates and use a electric heater (500w) for a hour if desperate for heat and if I boiled kettle and have leftover water use that for washing dishes so that lasts ages.

When I changed supplier the amount didn't change, I assumed they would reset it to zero too, Anyway 6 weeks ago I had £1.91 left in meter and topped up £5 and was about £3.73 in credit which sounds right as I didn't check for a few hours and did some dishes.

I realised I had ran out of emergency the other day but not topped up to today, put £10 in and it took about £4 for debt which I assumed was the emergency and about £1.80 for something esle, but then I am now only £1 in emergency credit left.

Not £1 in credit which in itself would be wrong but emergency credit used and £1 of emergency credit left.

Where has the £9 gone?!! It can't be standing charge as there is none and I don't owe debt.
Page 1
    • matrix999
    • By matrix999 17th Apr 17, 12:47 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    matrix999
    • 17th Apr 17, 12:47 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 12:47 AM
    See when you moved in was there any debt on the meter or have you agreed to pay back an outstanding debt?

Getting a new card through the post doesn't automatically update the meter sometimes an engineer or MOP (meter operative) has to attend and reset the meter.

As an example, my brother moved into a new flat recently.. the meters were both prepay and the previous occupier had ran up a huge debt that was getting paid back through the meter each time it was topped up.

Scottish Hydro had to come out and reset the meter and remove the debt so my brother wasn't paying it back.
    Kevin
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th Apr 17, 8:46 AM
    • 5,953 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:46 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:46 AM
    I only use the gas for washing plates and use a electric heater (500w) for a hour if desperate for heat
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Its likely to be cheaper to boil the kettle for washing up and to use the gas central heating for heat.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 17th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    Over the years never understood how the meters take credit i.e I have £2 left of £5 emergency so I top up £10 and get like £4 into credit.

In recent years I go for no standing charge companies and the current one confuses me.

When I moved in there was 3.75 of electric in and I assumed it would be wiped, instead I got a new card and that 3.75 stayed.

I only use the gas for washing plates and use a electric heater (500w) for a hour if desperate for heat and if I boiled kettle and have leftover water use that for washing dishes so that lasts ages.

When I changed supplier the amount didn't change, I assumed they would reset it to zero too, Anyway 6 weeks ago I had £1.91 left in meter and topped up £5 and was about £3.73 in credit which sounds right as I didn't check for a few hours and did some dishes.

I realised I had ran out of emergency the other day but not topped up to today, put £10 in and it took about £4 for debt which I assumed was the emergency and about £1.80 for something esle, but then I am now only £1 in emergency credit left.

Not £1 in credit which in itself would be wrong but emergency credit used and £1 of emergency credit left.

Where has the £9 gone?!! It can't be standing charge as there is none and I don't owe debt.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Despite having a PPM, you should receive regular statements (typically annuallly) that will indicate the credit you have purchased and the energy (and related cost) you have used.

Emergency credit is exactly that, credit (albeit limited) made available to you despite having a Pre-payment meter for the odd occassion you may have forgotten to top up to allow you to still draw gas/electricity.

You seem to be using that function routinely. Please try to avoid going into emergency credit. You'll find managing much easier. There are complications related to using emergency credit. I believe, for example, whilst you are on emergency credit the meter does not deduct daily standing charges ...but they do still accrue and will end up be taken after you come out of emergency credit.
    Last edited by PaschalFun; 17-04-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 9,788 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    something doesn't seem right here

I suggest you look at your meters everyday at around the same time and make a note of how much you are using each day, this will give you an idea of your daily cost (its probably more that you are thinking it will be).

Do you know how much emergency credit you get on each meter? On my meter it doesn't automatically go into emergency credit I have to put the key in to activate this so its easy to tell how much I get the meter goes up by that amount.

How long have you lived in the property? Speak to your suppliers as it is possible you are paying off someone else debt. When you top up when you haven't gone into emergency credit, do you get the full amount added on then?
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 17th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    Its difficult, been living here a few months and it rarely goes down except when I do something i.e if I just use kettle to wash dishes it might go down by a few pence a day maximum, then wash dishes twice in one day (when I have guests) it goes down by like 30p, just as having a bath makes it go down by about 30p rest of time it never really changes hence £1.91 lasting weeks for me

Moved in mid December, had zero on meter so activated emcr but due to Christmas and having keys at old property until 1st week in Jan I didn't use anything or even activate credit.

Had a few baths as shower was faulty, apart from that the only time gas would be used would be for washing machine which I used about 3 times a month which does lower meter by about 30p a time as does having a bath.

So it was £5 emcr start of jan, changed suppliers about a month later and it had about £3.73 left of emergency which I did query and was told thats normal, actually thinking about it this is when money seemed to go down fast as spent about £2 in a week or two despite using kettle to wash dishes and electric shower for myself, I know as my mother put on £5 around mid Feb as it had £1.91 or so left, after top up it went back to about £3.70 which I assumed to be because mother liked to fill sink every time we had even a few plates.

After that didn't really check to about 10 days ago so about 6 weeks it used £6.90 which doesn't sound much but heating has never been on

And I also checked heating just in case and its used 1p since I topped up last night, in that time I ran tap a few minutes to make sure I had hot water.

And yes emcr has to be activated.

So its used 1p in 18 hours so I doubt its my usage.
    • K.S.
    • By K.S. 17th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    K.S.
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    you should be able to see what you owe for going into emergency, and there's a fee for every day you're still on emergency i think... fiddle with your meter a bit, hold B or press it a few times to cycle through prices and stuff
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 17th Apr 17, 4:47 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:47 PM
    From another thread....

Display number What this means
    00 The most recent amount of credit transferred to your meter
    01 Amount of credit that was last allocated to any outstanding debt to
    your meter
    02 Amount of credit used to repay emergency credit you’ve used
    03 Amount of credit allocated to your gas supply
    10 Price per unit of gas
    17 Daily standing charge (collected at 2am every day)
    25 The minimum debt repayment you’ll pay in a week
    26 The maximum debt repayment you’ll pay in a week
    27 The amount of debt to be repaid. This will reduce each week if you add
    enough credit to your meter
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 17th Apr 17, 4:47 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Who are you with? Utilita?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Apr 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Ebico, will see what meter says tonight.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 9,788 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Is it a standard thing to charge for using emergency credit?

The few times I have had to use it, I have noticed that the amounts aren't quite correct but they are only a few pence difference so thought nothing off it, just assumed it was me miss reading. I only use the emergency credit for a few hours at most until I can get to a shop.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Apr 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Can't get anything when pressing A or B apart from Index

But pressing button A says £10.82 owed!

What for?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    My current train of thought was the property was empty for at least 6 weeks before I moved in and it was with a supplier that had standing charges, I assume as the meter was empty at time (emcr not activated) it piled up charges that I have been paying off since I moved in.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Apr 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Ok, so phoned company today who confirmed it was debt which they assumed to be from previous tenant and said they updated account, and if I top up £5 it will reset meter at same time and have the £9 I lost credited to it as well.

So I do this and it took £4.50 of my £5 and didn't update.

So I worked out its taking 90% of each top up, I also assume why this is why the £5 I also topped up about 5 weeks ago took £4.50 off too as I assumed it went from like £1.90 in debt to £1.80 in credit when it must of been £1.80 in debt.

So they basically owe me £18!

So they have to send someone out to reset the meter manually.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 19th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Spoke to them again today and they said something different, that it might take as many as 5 top ups to show up, due to "slow updates"

Am I getting fobbed off?
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 19th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Its pretty standard on PAYG. Just do a minimum top up once a day to speed it through
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 21st Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,346 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Yes but woman also said its likely not to work until debt is cleared by myself as well.

But the general point is I use maybe £1 a week gas, so going to have about £40 credit at this point, which may sound good but I am on benefits.
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 21st Apr 17, 9:59 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Joyful
    The gas meter does not charge you for going into emergency credit. It does not though take your daily standing charge while using it. This means the next time you top up you will be paying for the EC used and the standing charge build up. To check the amount you need to clear press the red button twice and it will say the word Owed and have a figure beside it. Just so you know the electricity meter does take back the standing charge when using the EC.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 5,953 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    ^ There's no standing charge with Ebico.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

3,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin