Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 16th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,740Posts
    • 3,702Thanks
    Mista_C
    Bank Holiday Twitchiness
    • 16th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    Bank Holiday Twitchiness 16th Apr 17 at 7:47 PM
    Right now the OH and Daughter are watching a movie, the youngest is watching parkour videos on the net, the eldest is over at his GFs for another hour or so and I'm... getting twitchy.

I don't do relaxing well. I rarely sit down because I'm always finding something to keep myself busy with. It feels like I'm being forced to relax when really I want to get stuck into a project.

I have a half finished project that is in the spray paint stage and the weather isn't in my favour for that right now.

I thought I'd kill a bit of time browsing the web but then I found something I'd like to try but I need to buy some PIC microcontrollers so that'll have to wait.
    In fact, everything I'd like to do hobby-wise is going to require me getting some components.

I've gone round the house doing all those little DIY jobs I've been putting off for such an occasion and now I've nothing left to do with just over a day left to go.

Do you get the bank holiday twitches and, if so, how do you occupy this time?
Page 1
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    • 23,232 Posts
    • 90,125 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 16th Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    Jack Daniels is ten pounds off a litre at Tesco Extras.

No, don't thank me.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Missli
    • By Missli 17th Apr 17, 3:30 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,607 Thanks
    Missli
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:30 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:30 PM
    I'm never bored. Read a book, or perhaps try writing one.
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 17th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Mista_C
    • 17th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    I'm never bored. Read a book, or perhaps try writing one.
    Originally posted by Missli
    I wasn't bored I just have a creative urge to get out and neither access to resources or conditions to do so at the moment.

Boredom is generated by having nothing to do. I have plenty I want to do but I 'm restrained by circumstance for now and I'm not the kind of person to sit back and waste a day away watching TV or reading a book (unless it's a tech manual of some sort). Writing a book is OK, I'm actually working on something at the moment but it doesn't quite scratch that itch when I'm feeling like this.

It'll all be good tomorrow. I can get my hands on some PICs and, weather permitting, I might be able to get back to some modding work.
    • Missli
    • By Missli 17th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,607 Thanks
    Missli
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    Well I hope you enjoy your holiday somehow. For some I appreciate the need to do. Do you like art at all? It's something people I know well who are creative types enjoy.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 17th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 23,486 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    I wasn't bored.
    Friday work in the morning and mooched around local retail park
    Saturday - went out to Knarseborough for the day and Harrogate
    Sunday - painting which been overlooked
    Monday - ikea.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 17th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,595 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    I wish we had an IKEA nearby. I'm not sure I'd want to brave it on a bank holiday though!
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 17th Apr 17, 9:58 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Mista_C
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:58 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:58 PM
    Well I hope you enjoy your holiday somehow. For some I appreciate the need to do. Do you like art at all? It's something people I know well who are creative types enjoy.
    Originally posted by Missli
    I used to draw and paint but that was another lifetime ago. These days I like to modify old video games consoles, both in appearance and function.
    I do the occasional bit of work in Photoshop, images for web sites, logo creation, etc. but bank holidays are always quiet. I've got some web design work to do but I'm waiting to hear back from the client who, oddly enough, is offline over the bank holiday.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 17th Apr 17, 10:53 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 15,819 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:53 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 10:53 PM
    I used to draw and paint but that was another lifetime ago. These days I like to modify old video games consoles, both in appearance and function.
    I do the occasional bit of work in Photoshop, images for web sites, logo creation, etc. but bank holidays are always quiet. I've got some web design work to do but I'm waiting to hear back from the client who, oddly enough, is offline over the bank holiday.
    Originally posted by Mista_C
    Maybe learn another language? Is there a country you particularly like visiting when speaking the language might help you enjoy it more (assuming you don't speak it already!)

It might be something a bit different from what you normally do, and there's probably enough learning material available on the Web for you to do it quite cheaply; you can do it whenever you have time - bank holiday or not.

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 17th Apr 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 6,764 Thanks
    melanzana
    Everyone is different. You twitch, but I never do. I love down time, read the kindle in peace, surf for rubbish stuff on the net, go for a walk, sort out the cupboards (and then abandon that after five minutes!), and so on.

Quiet time is good for the soul.
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 17th Apr 17, 11:58 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Mista_C
    Maybe learn another language? Is there a country you particularly like visiting when speaking the language might help you enjoy it more (assuming you don't speak it already!)

It might be something a bit different from what you normally do, and there's probably enough learning material available on the Web for you to do it quite cheaply; you can do it whenever you have time - bank holiday or not.

WR
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    I tend not to go abroad anymore although I spent a fair bit of time in Germany in days gone by. I can speak conversational German already and I'm slowing trying Russian via the web.

It's a good idea but, and I hope this makes sense, it's more input when what I need during the slow times is more output.
    My brain is constantly thinking and, while it's great during working hours, it's a frustration during quiet times.
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 18th Apr 17, 12:02 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Mista_C
    Everyone is different. You twitch, but I never do. I love down time, read the kindle in peace, surf for rubbish stuff on the net, go for a walk, sort out the cupboards (and then abandon that after five minutes!), and so on.

Quiet time is good for the soul.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    I do enjoy quiet time but it usually chooses me rather than me, it. Bank holiday especially because I get ideas buzzing in my head and I have to put a lid on it until the bank holiday is over.

Today I've been playing the old game Lemmings, mainly because it requires some thought and concentration to puzzle my through it. I find that helps somewhat as a distraction.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 18th Apr 17, 5:33 PM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 23,486 Thanks
    Tarry
    I wish we had an IKEA nearby. I'm not sure I'd want to brave it on a bank holiday though!
    Originally posted by avogadro
    It was my first ever visit
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 18th Apr 17, 9:57 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Where I work we are blessed with the Tuesday off as well after the 3 main bank holidays so we've had 5 days off and have done little or nothing for all of them. Hubby likes to sit and do nothing, but as I've got older I do have a problem with doing nothing. Even if I'm off ill, I usually end up putting a load of laundry in or something. When we go on holiday, I like to go out and visit places whereas he'd be happy to stay in or by the tent all day, most days. Good Friday ended up being a total pyjama day until late in the afternoon when I drove my mum on an errand, on Saturday I did go out and I then did some gardening in the afternoon, but Sunday was another day of nothing so yesterday and today felt like making up lost time. These days I even struggle to just sit and watch TV, which is why I've usually got 8 4 or 5 hours' worth of TV to catch up on at any one time!
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £0 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66
    (SPCNo.10 £682.31 * SPCNo.9 £442.64 * inc Quidco to 2/11/17 £249.69) *
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 18th Apr 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Mista_C
    In my old job we would get the Tuesday also although it was less of a frustration as bank holidays were usually a good time to do some network maintenance so, unless I had a trip planned with the family, I would usually volunteer for that.

This bank holiday has been particularly tedious due to our car being in the garage having work done. Our daughter has a number of disabilities which means lengthy public transport trips are a no-no.
    On the positive side I did manage to take her over the local park today. She's too big for the swings etc. but she does like to make use of the open air gym over there.

Today was OK though. I was able to look at improving an Atari 2600 composite video mod I made a few years back as well as look at a switchless 50/60Hz mod for an Atari Jaguar (although that still needs some work before I'm done with it).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,451Users online

Martin's Twitter