Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jessicasalviora
    • By Jessicasalviora 16th Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jessicasalviora
    I'm useless
    • 16th Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    I'm useless 16th Apr 17 at 7:04 PM
    Don't reply.
    Last edited by Jessicasalviora; 17-04-2017 at 9:17 PM.
Page 2
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 18th Apr 17, 8:04 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    sangie595
    It would appear that the OP quit because we were being "rude", i.e. not telling her what she wanted to hear. I hope she hears the message eventually, but I doubt it. I suspect that something similar happened at school - her suggestion that she was going back to education after she had saved enough money didn't really make any sense, since she is at the only age when that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do, and there are a plethora of educational and training opportunities. If she's still reading this - go to college, or get an apprenticeship. You can't "delete your post" every time the world doesn't treat you as you want it to.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 18th Apr 17, 8:11 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    sangie595
    When I started work, it wasn't unusual for pretty, young , innocent new starters to be sexually harassed as well as having to deal with everything else. It was wrong, but that was the culture back in the 70's. I'm sure there are many female contributors to this forum who can say they had to deal with sexual harassment from those days

Thankfully that's all legislated against. Not to say it still doesn't happen, but it's not as common place as it once was
    Originally posted by Livelongandprosper
    Ah. The good old days....!

But, to be fair, those were the days when a swift smack in the mouth or knee to the balls was accepted as a form of grievance it was certainly a more direct method of saying "don't do that again" than four months stuck in grievance meetings with the jerk!
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 18th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    daytona0
    I failed the Tesco aptitude online test about 13 years ago for a Saturday job

God I feel old now!!
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Oh dear
    ent.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 18th Apr 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    "We don't think you are suited to working at Tesco".

"Thank you! That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!"
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Apr 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 8,677 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Oh dear
    Originally posted by daytona0
    I think I was too honest.

If a customer was being a pita, what would you do....

To add insult to injury, my brother passed and got a trial shift
    Survey Earnings 2017 - 163
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone

God I feel old now!!
    I done one before for a supermarket (can't remember which one) there was no note section to tell them how c!rap their questions were

Went something along the lines

You see a shopper in a wheelchair what do you do?
    A) nothing carry on working
    B) go over and start to help with their shopping.

I answered B but thought the question was worded very badly, no option to actually ask the customer if they wanted help or not It would be very discriminating for someone to just come and help when the person didn't want/require it!

I'll never know if I got the right answer, I wondered if it was A and to leave it to the person to ask if they wanted.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 18th Apr 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I done one before for a supermarket (can't remember which one) there was no note section to tell them how c!rap their questions were

I answered B but thought the question was worded very badly, no option to actually ask the customer if they wanted help or not It would be very discriminating for someone to just come and help when the person didn't want/require it!

I'll never know if I got the right answer, I wondered if it was A and to leave it to the person to ask if they wanted.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone

I'm pretty sure the required answer was A. Even if there is the option of "ask if they wanted help", people in wheelchairs don't want to be asked if they need help when they are just going about their business. You should only ask if they need help if they appear to be struggling with something.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I'm pretty sure the required answer was A. Even if there is the option of "ask if they wanted help", people in wheelchairs don't want to be asked if they need help when they are just going about their business. You should only ask if they need help if they appear to be struggling with something.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes this is true, hence why my hesitation when I originally answered the question, in fact I even checked with a friend who worked at a supermarket and they told me 'B'!

they said I was overthinking it and that as a supermarket employee my job was to be helpful to customers, they had a point so I went with that, but as said I have often wondered.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 18th Apr 17, 4:12 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    CakeCrusader

You have to match your replies to the Supermarket. B's definitely Waitrose, A's Aldi
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 19th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Yes this is true, hence why my hesitation when I originally answered the question, in fact I even checked with a friend who worked at a supermarket and they told me 'B'!
    Unless they devised the test or were in charge of recruitment you don't know that they were right. They may have got it wrong, but got the job anyway because they were a good candidate and got enough other questions right.

Ideally, there should be a series of questions like this. If someone answers all As they are probably too unhelpful. If someone answers all Bs they are too impulsive and easily distracted. A good candidate would have some As and some Bs showing they are at least thinking about what they should do, whether or not the answers are 100% "right". But that may be overthinking it and maybe Tesco just want you to answer all "B"s.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    “ When I started work, it wasn't unusual for pretty, young , innocent new starters to be sexually harassed as well as having to deal with everything else. It was wrong, but that was the culture back in the 70's. I'm sure there are many female contributors to this forum who can say they had to deal with sexual harassment from those days

Thankfully that's all legislated against. Not to say it still doesn't happen, but it's not as common place as it once was
    Originally posted by Livelongandprosper
    Ah. The good old days....!

But, to be fair, those were the days when a swift smack in the mouth or knee to the balls was accepted as a form of grievance it was certainly a more direct method of saying "don't do that again" than four months stuck in grievance meetings with the jerk! Posted by Sangie595
    Indeed! you certainly needed a good sense of humour and a very thick skin to be a female in the Armed Forces in the 1970s! I never actually had to deploy the 'knees in the balls' option, but came close to it more than once.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,518Posts Today

6,391Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin