Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThursdaysChild
    • By ThursdaysChild 16th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ThursdaysChild
    Neighbours over the road - Antisocial/illegal behavior - or just me being intolerant?
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    Neighbours over the road - Antisocial/illegal behavior - or just me being intolerant? 16th Apr 17 at 6:47 PM
    Hi,

I'm after advice, suggestions on what I should do, or if it's just me being intolerant and there's nothing to be done then please tell me that as well! about the situation with my neighbours over the road.

I live in a terrace at the end of a cul-de-sac and the neighbours in question are over the road (in the terrace opposite). They have about 5-6 kids plus "hangers on" (extended family or friends) of various ages from... I'm not sure exactly but I'd say about 6-7 up to mid teens. They seem to spend most of the day outside playing in the street with football etc -- to which I say hurrah as at least they aren't sitting around indoors getting obese with games consoles!

However... they are really loud and do what I'd consider "anti-social" behaviour, but I'm not sure if it actually is, or if I'm (I don't have any kids myself) just being intolerant. Shouting all day long, jumping up and down on their wheelie bins, hammering on their front door / windows for someone to let them in after they went out, climbing over and jumping on the bonnet of their (parents') car, bashing a brick on to their bins over and over and over... etc.

All day long... bangbangbangbang on bins, WhHHEEEeeeSSShhh of wheeling an office chair around in the street (!) knockknocknkocknock on their window, climbing up fences, leaving bicycles in the street so I can't get out of my drive without asking them to move it (not done intentially to wind me up) etc etc.

They haven't done anything destructive to my property as such, as they seem to understand that they can jump on their own car (etc) but not other people's, but it's still really loud and incessant. And they are continually in mine and others' driveways running around with footballs and have kicked them into my car etc.

I don't feel "intimidated" as such, but the level of noise and consistancy of the noise is such that I'm getting to my wits end and can't hear myself think when I'm sat indoors!

It went on for at least 6 hours yesterday and similar today...

I wouldn't have a problem if it was noise from DIY or other things that have to be done, as I do understand that we can't have a silent environment all the time (!)

I'm not on speaking terms with those neighbours, but not on particularly bad terms either. We've never spoken (other than things like "sorry" when their kids almost ran out in front of my car!)

Edited to add: My impression is that those kids are bored out of their mind as their parents aren't providing anything for them to do or paying attention - but I don't think I can report it to social services or anything just for that!

What if anything can I do?
    Last edited by ThursdaysChild; 16-04-2017 at 6:51 PM.
Page 4
    • borkid
    • By borkid 17th Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    borkid
    I do have double glazed windows and yes they do shut out the noise but.. as we go towards the spring and summer should I have to keep windows shut because of excessive noise over the road.

There is a local park ~500m down the road!
    Originally posted by ThursdaysChild
    What do the other neighbours think? Are they out all day? I had this problem with a group of children from the other end of the road. In the end I opened my window and played classical music rather loudly, they went within 5 minutes. They do occasionally return but aren't as noisy. I hasten to add it was middle of the day and the immediate neighbours were out at work apart from one who is slightly deaf.

With other children if they are usually polite and well behaved I'll pop out and ask if they are OK because they sounded as if they had hurt themselves.
    • Atomix
    • By Atomix 17th Apr 17, 9:58 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Atomix
    Not meaning to sound flippant- but I'd save myself the stress, hassle, which could be for many years - and move. Good luck.
    • camptownraces
    • By camptownraces 17th Apr 17, 10:18 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    camptownraces
    OP might find that things are a lot better tomorrow, when the kids are back at school. Should keep them out of the way for about 7 hours.
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 17th Apr 17, 11:06 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    Not meaning to sound flippant- but I'd save myself the stress, hassle, which could be for many years - and move. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Atomix
    This is an old thread, but the OP of this one did move to escape the noise and disruption. It seems drastic, but sometimes the only way

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1836825
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 18th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I am not sure about the jumping on their parents car That doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me not least because I think most people would not want their children to be jumping on the bonnet of their car in case they damaged the car.

It sounds as if the parents are not very interested in their children. If that is the case there isn't anything you can do that would make them interested.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Or maybe they are just not very interested in their car. I've had cars that I would let my children tap dance on the roof of without any worries at all.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 18th Apr 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Can you find out in confidence who the landlord is and speak to him/her? A quiet word might help - particularly about the excessive numbers (it seems) and hangers on. Otherwise you are protecting all their parents from the noise during every school holiday and you are suffering instead.

My young neighbours (early 20s) moved in and started inviting all their friends for heavy drinking sessions. I got the feeling they had just left home and that all their friends came round because they couldn't make the insane amount of noise they did partying etc as at home as they still probably lived with parents. I thought 'why should I put up with it though?' and spoke to the letting agent, who put an immediate stop to it. I think landlords are the best way to go as technically they are liable and would be the ones penalised, with a maximum punishment of prison, if they don't sort out tenants who are breaking the law in terms of environmental health. it may be that the noise from your neighbours would not be classed as such, but daytime noise can be considered if it is constant.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By teddysmum 18th Apr 17, 2:58 PM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I'm afraid to talk to the kids directly in case their parents kick off, as happened previously (with different kids and parents) i.e. "How dare you talk to my child! If you have a problem talk to me directly".
    Originally posted by ThursdaysChild
    Incredibly, a friend, who is a trained lifeguard (but not on duty), saved a child who was struggling in a swimming pool and the parent who hadn't been watching over his child , ranted and threatened her for touching his child.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 18th Apr 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    PS just to clarify - the letting agents in my case obviously wouldn't go to prison (neither in yours) but the ultimate threat of this, or of any fine/court case etc, and potential hassle of a complaint or neighbour issues is usually something that professional letting agents/landlords will want to prevent, just to avoid the potential hassle and damage to their reputation. I found that they respected the neighbourhood just as much as the tenant in their property, as they understand the type of issues and after all a decent letting agent is part of the community and should also act with consideration of it. Just a thought.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By hohum 18th Apr 17, 3:08 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    hohum
    I do sympathise - I lived next door to a family where I knew all of their names before being introduced... and even the kid down the street.

We bought and are opposite some social housing with lots of young families. They're generally good kids, I just have to regularly remind them that using our garden wall as goalposts, with our windows a couple of metres behind, is not ok. Or that our drive is not where they ride bikes. But they're not bad and I just put up with it as part of living in a community, I like that they all play out, and the siblings look out for each other. Your situation sounds more difficult and I don't think you're being unreasonable: but equally there's not a lot you can do about it really. Ear plugs?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Apr 17, 6:32 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 3,750 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Does the landlord know that these kids are climbing over his fences? Are they banging on the front door as well? Banging on the windows? Potential damage to his property?

If they haven't lived there long they have probably got used to moving often. I wonder why?
    • freeman3030
    • By freeman3030 18th Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    freeman3030
    I can sympathise with you. I too live in an end of terrace house in a cul-de-sac (I'm right at the end with parking/turning area next to me).
    I go through stages of being really annoyed at the kids and being incredibly tolerable. My neighbours have got a couple of kids and there are several other kids in the street, age ranging from about 5-12. Having just had a bank holiday weekend I've been outside doing a bit of work in my garden and all I've heard is footballs, shouting to one and other to pass the ball, screaming with excitement... then the inevitable tears because ones fallen over. At the end of the day, they're kids and they're going to make noise. When I was younger I played outside on my bike and although I'm sure I wasn't as loud as the kids living near me, it's nice to hear them having fun. Then there comes a time where your having lunch and enjoying the peace outside and then you get the onslaught of shouting/squeeling.
    Sometimes a ball comes over into my garden, they'll knock on my door and ask for their ball back. All the time the kids are polite I think it's acceptable to tolerate a bit of noise.
    The banging on the bin would probably annoy me though. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can really do. Not knowing your area or plot your house sits on, have you thought about planting a tall hedge out the front to block some of the noise. Being a terraced house though, I can imagine there's not an awful lot of front garden to do this as the driveway probably takes up the majority if not all of the front garden (assuming you have a driveway).
    With regards to the football hitting your car, I'm not sure I could be as tolerable. I would go spare if it frequently hit my car. I could get over it if it was once, not not if it was once a day. If that happens again, maybe suggest to the kids to play football in one of the back gardens to avoid hitting your car.
    It can get you down though. One night all I could hear were the kids next door running up and down the stairs (fortunately that's all we can hear from our next door neighbours). At the time I was annoyed because all I wanted to do was sleep, but then I thought... this is the trouble when living in close proximity to others. I sometimes feel like a miserable old man (at 26) but then I remind myself that they're just having a bit of fun. Every year that passes, they'll get another year older. I'd rather hear kids playing outside than kids causing destruction to the neighbourhood.
    Kids are back to school this week (I think) so hopefully it will become more tranquil.
    DEBTS:
    *Sainsburys: £701.98/£924.28
    *Tesco: £1,100/£1,200
    *Amex £990.90/£1015.90
    *Barclaycard £1,592.21/£1667.23
    *My partner: £380/£2,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin