Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 16th Apr 17, 5:55 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Helpp
    Cancelled car insurance
    • 16th Apr 17, 5:55 PM
    Cancelled car insurance 16th Apr 17 at 5:55 PM
    Hey, I'm currently stressing out on the situation I'm in because I can't ring my insurance provider with it being easter bank holiday, so I thought I'd create an account here to get some help and advice in the meantime.

I recently returned from on holiday to find a letter informing me that my car insurance providers were cancelling my car insurance policy for missing a direct debit payment. This payment was taken on the 28th March 2017 when there were insufficient funds to be taken from my account.

I have had my car insured with this same company since the 29th January 2016. During this time my direct debit payments have always been taken on the 1st of each month. Furthermore, until this most recent payment, they have always been paid on time.

On the 26th January 2017 at approximately 6pm (I could probably find the exact time), I called my insurance providers customer service helpline. I made the call because on the auto renewal letter I had received it indicated that my car insurance policy would automatically renew on the 28th January. During this phone call I asked the advisor who I was speaking with if I could continue to make my payments on the 1st of each month. The advisor informed me that since I had previously had a plan in place for my payments to come out on the 1st, I would not have to pay a direct debit arrangement fee. Thereafter, he told me that my next payment would be taken on the 1st March and each subsequent date afterwards.

However, having checked my bank statements I can see this to not be the case. The payment that was meant to be taken on the 1st March was in fact taken on the 28th February. Given that I am paid on the last working day of each month, I had enough funds in my account to cover this payment, but not the payment the following month.

I suppose what I am basically asking is, do I have reasonable grounds for getting my policy reinstated, or am I knackered for stupidly not checking the date my payments came out and wrongly assuming the advisor who I was speaking to had done his job?

Thank you to everyone in advance.
    Last edited by Helpp; 16-04-2017 at 5:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Page 1
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 16th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 20,204 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    Yes you do have grounds for having the policy reinstated, the Insurers will however resist this as it is difficult for them admin wise.

I would recommend you give them a call and be as polite as possible and refer them to the agreement you made on the phone and ask them to listen to the call.

Ask them to suspend the cancellation until the call has been listened to.

If this does not work come back for more advice
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 16th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    Thank you for putting me slightly more at ease dacouch. Just having looked at their extremely poor customer service reviews online I'm really worried they're going to try deny having ever received the call.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    When you renewed, and got the new policy documents, what payment date was stipulated on that? If it was 1st, then you should be able to get the policy re-instated no problem. If it says 28th, then you might have a little more of a battle.

Log an official complaint with the insurer, tell them that on the call on X date at x time when you renewed you specifically asked for the payments to continue on 1st month - and ask them to listen to the call (they can do this).

I can't see how they would cancel the policy after just 1 failed payment though. Usually they'd try again after a few days and, given April 1st was a Saturday, they should have been able to take the DD on Friday 31st.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 16th Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    I thought the D/D guarantee meant the company had to represent after a failed collection, then send written request for payment, then cancellation?

I'm sure I've been told in the past too that conditional cancellation letters aren't allowed any more, and a client has to be given a request to pay then a notice of intended cancellation?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 32,728 Posts
    • 16,745 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    I thought the D/D guarantee meant the company had to represent after a failed collection,........
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    No.

The DD guarantee protects the customer against the merchant abusing the DD by using it to collect unexpected/unauthorised etc amounts from customers.

It doesn't allow customers second chances following any default
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 17th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    I cannot recall having ever received any policy documents FutureGirl. I'm sure I probably did but if I had noticed that the payment date was the 28th I'd have given them a call straight away. Few lessons have been learnt mind.

Anyway, I gave them a call today. The first advisor I spoke to said there was no record of me having ever made a call. I was adamant that I made a call on the 26th January and so the advisor said that they would have a look into it and give me a call back tomorrow. Thinking I better be safe I downloaded some software that enables you to view deleted call history and it showed that I made the call at 19:32 on the 26th.

I gave them a call back with the exact time that I made the call and was told by the next advisor that that was the exact time they had on record so I was clearly trying to be fobbed off when the first advisor told me they had no record of the call haha.
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 17th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    Actually, having thought, the policy documents I did receive were basically just the renewal letter saying that my policy was due to be renewed on the 28th. To which I rang them and asked for the payments to be taken on the 1st as they had been previously.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 17th Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    Actually, having thought, the policy documents I did receive were basically just the renewal letter saying that my policy was due to be renewed on the 28th. To which I rang them and asked for the payments to be taken on the 1st as they had been previously.
    Originally posted by Helpp

Yes, you then would have received policy documents for the new policy year. (The policy doesn't continue, it's a new policy just with the same policy number).
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 17th Apr 17, 9:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    Ah fair enough, I must have missed that then. Still it seems really harsh to cancel the policy after one failed payment. If they'd have tried to take the payment again a few days later it would have came out no problem.
    • paparossco
    • By paparossco 17th Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    paparossco
    Excuse me if I state the obvious but don't use the car until this is sorted and you have the documents or you run the risk of being stopped by the police.
    The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.
    Wayne Dyer
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 17th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 6,499 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    prosaver
    Excuse me if I state the obvious but don't use the car until this is sorted and you have the documents or you run the risk of being stopped by the police.
    Originally posted by paparossco
    the car has to be insured even if its on the driveway ..I had to get my other car (using for spares) SORN to get out of getting insurance(new law)
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 21,148 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    lisyloo
    the car has to be insured even if its on the driveway ..I had to get my other car (using for spares) SORN to get out of getting insurance(new law)
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Unless you fill out a sorn, which I expect would take 5-10 minutes online. Obviously you can't then use the car.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 17th Apr 17, 10:28 PM
    • 6,499 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    prosaver
    dont know if they give you a warning first?
    All registered cars are recorded on the Motor Insurer’s Database (MID), and any owners whose cars are not insured or SORNed will automatically receive an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL) in the first instance. This will be followed by a fixed penalty notice of around £200 and six points on your licence. If you still fail to insure or SORN your car the case could go to court where you could be fined up to £1000 and be disqualified from driving. Your car can also be seized and eventually destroyed if you don’t pay to have it released.
    ref https://www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/how-to-sorn-a-car/
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 18th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    Yeah I'll get that SORN sorted. I did manage to find my policy documents they sent me, it says my policy started on the 28th January but doesn't give any indication as to what the payment dates would be.

I was told I would be given a call back today but nobody has rang. I'm trying to ring them back and I've been in the queue for over an hour now.
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 19th Apr 17, 3:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    So I was on the phone for two hours last night before they closed and I had to give up. After numerous promises of a call-back today I finally managed to get through and was told that they have no record of the call that I made. Just as I expected really.

I've been asked to email them proof that I did indeed make a call on that date, which I can definitely do. However, I suspect they're just going to come back and say that a screenshot of the call date, time and duration isn't proof that I was told my payments would be coming out on the 1st.

Can anyone offer any further advice? Cheers.
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 20th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    KittenChops
    So I was on the phone for two hours last night before they closed and I had to give up. After numerous promises of a call-back today I finally managed to get through and was told that they have no record of the call that I made. Just as I expected really.

I've been asked to email them proof that I did indeed make a call on that date, which I can definitely do. However, I suspect they're just going to come back and say that a screenshot of the call date, time and duration isn't proof that I was told my payments would be coming out on the 1st.

Can anyone offer any further advice? Cheers.
    Originally posted by Helpp
    Use their complaints process... State (in writing) all of the calls you've made (starting with the one asking for the payments to be on the 1st) and ask them to listen to them all - you can even ask for transcripts of them (perhaps even recordings?). And as dacouch said earlier, ask them to suspend the cancellation pending your complaint / their investigation.
    • Helpp
    • By Helpp 21st Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helpp
    Thanks for taking the time to respond KittenChops.

It's been a very stressful few days but I've managed to get things sorted now, albeit not in the way I would have liked ideally. So even when I emailed in screenshots of the call I made on the 26th, the company maintained that they couldn't find a copy of the call recording. Eventually, I managed to get through to a manager today and he admitted due to an error on their part they were willing to waive £100 of my arrears (totalling £250 quid somehow) and offer me a new policy with the agreement that I would not have to declare having a policy previously cancelled. I was also advised that the cancellation would not leave a black mark on my credit history.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 21st Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 32,728 Posts
    • 16,745 Thanks
    Quentin
    If you accept the offer make sure you get it in writing that the cancellation has been recinded, and removed from your record and keep it filed for evermore!
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 21st Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Blibble
    Please get that final point in writing - the last thing you want is further lost call recordings when trying to hypothetically explain in the future why you haven't declared your cancelled policy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

7,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin