Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 16th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,270Posts
    • 252Thanks
    britishboy
    Whats best for short journeys, petrol or diesel?
    • 16th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    Whats best for short journeys, petrol or diesel? 16th Apr 17 at 5:31 PM
    As above, am looking to spend up to £8,000 on a car to do the 6 mile commute to work and back each day (12 mile round trip). Not too fussed about fuel economy, and want either a BMW, Mercedes or Audi saloon ideally.
    What would be better, petrol or diesel? It will mostly do short work trips with a few longer trips a month (40-60 miles)

I realise will be getting a car up to 8 or 9 years old for that money, just wondered what engine would be more suited to our use
Page 2
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Apr 17, 9:53 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    kmb500
    Big difference between a Japanese car such as a Honda Accord and a flash brand from Deutschland in terms of reliability mate.
    Originally posted by palgrave
    you're right, the Honda will no doubt be much more reliable and cheaper to run too!
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 18th Apr 17, 10:01 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    MataNui
    You will easily pick up a German car about 8+ years old for that money, you could get a few newer options too. Just be aware that the lower trim level German cars are almost agricultural inside.

At that age you may pick up a pre DPF diesel if thats the way you want to go (older side though). I wouldnt get a diesel with a DPF for that mileage and definitely not one of the earlier DPF models. DPFs have changed a lot recently to enable them to regenerate faster at lower temperatures. The ones you would be looking at wont be that efficient.

Also most diesels of that age will have very high miles on them. Diesel German saloons are a favorite of companies and sales reps
    • cajef
    • By cajef 18th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 4,458 Posts
    • 3,528 Thanks
    cajef
    Big difference between a Japanese car such as a Honda Accord and a flash brand from Deutschland in terms of reliability mate.
    For starters I am not a mate of yours, and just for your information I am on my third Honda now though not old bangers and for once I do agree with you about reliabilty.
    Last edited by cajef; 18-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Apr 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    DoaM
    For £8 OP wants to buy a Merc/Audi/BMW. On your bike mate. One of these cars that's a decade old will probably cost more in maintenance and repairs
    He who must not be named is back?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 18th Apr 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 6,407 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Whats best for short journeys, petrol or diesel?
    Petrol.

It is best for long journeys too.

Diesel is the work of the devil.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 18th Apr 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Robisere
    Petrol.

Diesel is the work of the devil.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    What rubbish, takes no account of where you live, how long your journeys, which model, how old. I live in a rural location and all my journeys are longer than most urban dwellers. A MODERN diesel suits my situation fine. Daft statement.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 19th Apr 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 6,407 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ^^^^You are presumably in the employ of the devil.
    Who'll remember the ones
    of smoke against the sky
    • palgrave
    • By palgrave 19th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    palgrave
    I wouldn't even touch a modern diesel with YOUR barge pole. Injectors, turbos, DMFs, clogged EGRs, not to mention a lousy power delivery and an unrefined agriculture tractor like engine noise, not for me son. I'm sure some diesels would have sorted the latter issue but they're still a long way off in terms of smoothness compared to a petrol.

I don't do many miles so a naturally aspirated, big displacement auto suits me just fine. Oh it must have leather and climate control too.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Petrol.

Originally posted by Head The Ball
    My 2 litre Mazda MX5 costs £50 more in fuel per 1000 miles than my 2 litre diesel Mondeo which is far larger and weighs 50% more.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I wouldn't even touch a modern diesel with YOUR barge pole. Injectors, turbos, DMFs, clogged EGRs, not to mention a lousy power delivery and an unrefined agriculture tractor like engine noise
    Not had a single issue in 150,000 miles of driving diesels. The 0-60 time for my 2L diesel Mondeo is the same as a 2L petrol Mondeo but the diesel is far better at 30-70MPH acceleration thanks to more torque. As for smoothness, DMFs sorted that issue.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 19-04-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 20th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 4,564 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    My 2 litre Mazda MX5 costs £50 more in fuel per 1000 miles than my 2 litre diesel Mondeo which is far larger and weighs 50% more.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    The MX5 was never designed with economy in mind! No one would buy an MX5 if they were that concerned about fuel consumption or emissions. My 1.6 MX5 cost £270 a year in VED, which is a bit eye watering, but worth it for the sheer pleasure of driving the thing.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 6,407 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Fuel is just one part of the cost of running a car.

What is the total cost of ownership over the time period you plan to own and run the cars?

Purchase price, servicing, depreciation, VED etc.

Even if the diesel is still cheaper you also have to consider other factors.

How much more pollution does one produce versus the other?

How much more fun to drive is the MX5 versus the Mondeo?
    Who'll remember the ones
    of smoke against the sky
    • easy
    • By easy 20th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    easy
    You can get diesels without DPF's at that kind of age (or slightly older) like the VW/Audi 1.9PD engines. They have a good reputation for reliability and fuel economy - 50 to 55 even in a passat, more in a golf.

At the kind of age you are talking, there is unlikely to be any price difference between purchase price.

As the years have progressed petrol cars have got more fuel efficient, but then again, so have diesels - but at about £8000, I'm not sure if you will be buying into that more recent technology.

Having said all that - we just dont know what the future will bring re diesels - in the long term, they are almost certainly going to be taxed to extinction but the short term? Who knows. Will that affect the resale of your car?
    Originally posted by JP1978
    Just to say that i wouldn't suggest to anyone that buying a diesel car is a good idea now, especially an older pre-DPF one.
    Apart from the fact that diesel is probably going to become more expensive, several cities are already putting plans in place to ban diesels outright, so you'll end up with a car that you can't take anywhere.
    We were planning to buy the lease car I have been driving for the last 3 years. Loved it, but as it's a diesel we have shelved that plan altogether.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 20th Apr 17, 10:42 AM
    • 7,042 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    This sounds perfect for a s/h electric car.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 20th Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    kmb500
    I am surprised it's only £50 more, £50 only got me 250 miles in my MX-5. (£200 for 1000 miles)
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 20th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    I am surprised it's only £50 more, £50 only got me 250 miles in my MX-5. (£200 for 1000 miles)
    Originally posted by kmb500
    25 mpg. That's pretty poor.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

3,225Users online

Martin's Twitter