Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rattle
    • By rattle 16th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 66Thanks
    rattle
    Disabled and no space to park
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    Disabled and no space to park 16th Apr 17 at 3:15 PM
    Hi,
    When I moved into my house the parking was not too bad I could normally find a space outside my house.In the last three years it has become a real pain as peoples children get older and have started to drive.There is enough space outside to park two cars but my house is like a magnet all the neighbours visitors and delivery drivers etc park there.

My neighbours know I am disabled yet they will often park outside leaving me with nowhere near my house to park.I applied for a disabled bay but was refused.
    I was thinking of having a polite sign made and getting it fixed to my garden gate something like "Please leave this space clear for disabled resident" or "This space is needed 24 hours a day for disabled resident.

I don't want to upset my neighbours but my mobility is limited and getting worse and I need to address this issue.I am also not sure on the legality of fixing a sign on my gate with that type of wording am I allowed to or not? I am a housing association tenant.Any advice would be appreciated.
Page 2
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 16th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    I don't know if this would apply for creating a driveway, but it might be worth enquiring?

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/overview
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 16th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 13,000 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    arcon5
    I don't think there is a solution that doesn't involve moving or lots of money
    • rattle
    • By rattle 16th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    rattle
    I don't think there is a solution that doesn't involve moving or lots of money
    Originally posted by arcon5
    I could get a tank and just park on top of the cars
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 16th Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 15,089 Posts
    • 20,499 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Give up your car and use taxis?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    unforeseen
    If the slope is so steep then there's a good chance a dropped kerb would be refused because you would be trying to pull out onto a road totally blind, even without cars parked on the road either side of it
    • rattle
    • By rattle 16th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    rattle
    If the slope is so steep then there's a good chance a dropped kerb would be refused because you would be trying to pull out onto a road totally blind, even without cars parked on the road either side of it
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I think that could be the case.
    • rattle
    • By rattle 16th Apr 17, 9:21 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    rattle
    Give up your car and use taxis?
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I cannot get into a standard car they are too low plus taxis are far too expensive.I drive an adapted SUV because it is taller.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 16th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4,043 Posts
    • 1,788 Thanks
    aardvaak
    You could ask the council to mark a 'disabled' space outside your house
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 16th Apr 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 5,499 Thanks
    warehouse
    You could ask the council to mark a 'disabled' space outside your house
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    You could read the first post again....
    Pants
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 16th Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Have you tried posting on the Disability Matters(?) board?

I would have thought this was quite a common problem and perhaps the regular posters on there may have some advice?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 17th Apr 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Ectophile
    The most cost-effective option I can see is to bend the ear of one of your local councillors, to see if they can get the council to reconsider putting in a disabled bay.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • supergran2007
    • By supergran2007 19th Apr 17, 6:15 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    supergran2007
    You say you've applied for a marked disabled bay and have been refused - but remember that even if a bay had been marked out, it would not have been your own personal space... any other blue badge user could use it too.

Is this information right ? I only ask out of curiosity after being yelled & shrieked at ( & called all the unmentionable names under the sun ) for using one of these spaces outside a house when dropping my grandson off at school, ( i'm a blue badge holder by the way, & it was clearly displayed )
    My grandson was so traumatised & scared by this woman that I haven't parked there since.
    The ironic thing about this is the woman herself is not actually disabled. She said the space is for her young daughter so they can get her in the car. In all the time I've been doing the school run I've never seen her go out with her daughter at this time ( but have seen her on countless occasions jumping in her little 2 seater sports car & racing off !)
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 19th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    jools1985
    Have you tried taling to your neighbours about the issue? Do they realise you need to park nearby because of your disability?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Apr 17, 6:30 PM
    • 59,605 Posts
    • 348,143 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    One of the reasons bays are refused by Councils is that it costs them over £10k to get a little man with a pot of paint to spend a couple of hours painting it.... an unbelievable cost!

And, as has been said, it wouldn't be "yours" anyway and might encourage other disabled people to move into the street if they saw it so you'd be back to square one, but even worse off
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 19th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    debtdebt
    One of the reasons bays are refused by Councils is that it costs them over £10k to get a little man with a pot of paint to spend a couple of hours painting it.... an unbelievable cost!

And, as has been said, it wouldn't be "yours" anyway and might encourage other disabled people to move into the street if they saw it so you'd be back to square one, but even worse off
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Have you got any evidence to back up that outrageous £10k figure?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    • 25,426 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Wouldn't surprise me if it cost £10,000.

It cost £13,000 to paint the lines on a roundabout near me. It was in the newspaper because they did it 3 times. Finally ending up with the original layout. £13,000 every time and that was a few years back now.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 19th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    • 22,460 Posts
    • 55,966 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    You say you've applied for a marked disabled bay and have been refused - but remember that even if a bay had been marked out, it would not have been your own personal space... any other blue badge user could use it too.

Is this information right ?
    Originally posted by supergran2007
    Yes - any BB holder can park in a bay marked for 'disabled' use on a residential street. It is incredibly annoying for the resident, hence the response you got; but not actually against the law.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 19th Apr 17, 7:18 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yes - any BB holder can park in a bay marked for 'disabled' use on a residential street. It is incredibly annoying for the resident, hence the response you got; but not actually against the law.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    You don't even need a BB.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Wouldn't surprise me if it cost £10,000.

It cost £13,000 to paint the lines on a roundabout near me. It was in the newspaper because they did it 3 times. Finally ending up with the original layout. £13,000 every time and that was a few years back now.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    That's because each time they probably had to get a TRO to allow them to close off portions. TROs aren't cheap.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,276Posts Today

9,116Users online

Martin's Twitter