Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helenthegardener
    • By helenthegardener 16th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    helenthegardener
    Paying cheques into account
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    Paying cheques into account 16th Apr 17 at 12:37 PM
    Please does anyone know which current accounts allow easy cheque pay in. I have had a lloyds account for 20years but the branches (and post Office) are not convenient to me since I moved because they are situated in a pedestrian only precinct in the centre of town which has no vehicle access.

There are no traditional banks that I would bank with easy parking available so I am considering alternative e.g. A supermarket which at least is open longer hours and has parking.

If I could pay cheques in at my local Sainsbury's or Co-op or similar would be so much easier but am having trouble finding out which accounts allow this and really don't want to resort to paying postage to bank cheques because the cheques are for relatively small amounts.

Thanks H
    Last edited by helenthegardener; 27-04-2017 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Replies received are not relevant
Page 2
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 18th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Good news about the mobile banking option later this year. The Post Office service never seems convenient as you need the magic combination of the special envelope plus a paying-in slip, which I think most people don't have, and Post Offices don't seem to have them either in my experience.

I didn't know you could pay in cheques at Co-op stores. Is that just for Co-op Bank?
    • d123
    • By d123 18th Apr 17, 9:27 PM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    d123
    I didn't know you could pay in cheques at Co-op stores. Is that just for Co-op Bank?
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    At Co-op supermarkets? They never mentioned that when I banked with them and they don't mention it on their website.

How do I pay money into my account?

You can pay money into your account by:

visiting your local branch

visiting your local Post Office - for cash deposits simply hand over your cash/debit card to a member of staff. For cheques you'll need a paying in slip, post office envelope (see below) and the cheque you would like to deposit

sending a cheque via the post*

electronically by setting up a standing order, or direct transfer from one bank account to another. Please check your individual account for more information

Please note, businesses paying via post office must be registered to use this facility and use brown envelopes for cheque deposits. Non Business customers must use the white envelopes.

To request any stationery please contact us.
    The address to send your cheque to is:
    The Co-operative Bank
    Blaise Pascal House
    100 Pavilion Drive
    Brackmills
    Northampton
    NN4 7AR
    http://ask.co-operativebank.co.uk/system/templates/selfservice/coop/#!portal/401100000001000/article/PROD-2648/How-do-I-pay-money-into-my-account?fromQuery=cheque
    Dave
    ====
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 18th Apr 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Some of the larger Co-op department stores used to have a Co-op Bank counter in them, basically a mini Co-op Branch. The one in Sheffield did, but that was many years ago. Apparently, they've tried the concept of in-store branches again in more recent years:
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/co-operative-bank-in-store-branch

I doubt whether Co-op stores without an in-store branch would let you pay cheques in.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 19th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sausage_time
    ...I think First Direct are (were?) one of the very few who would provide pre-paid envelopes for their customers to post cheques to them.
    Originally posted by gt94sss2
    Last batch of envelopes I received from FD had just the address printed but no postage. Miserable gits. I brave the queues at my post office when I need to pay in a cheque now.
    • helenthegardener
    • By helenthegardener 20th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helenthegardener
    I wanted to know if I could pay cheques in to a Sainsbury's or Co-op bank account at there shops as there is one near to me.
    Last edited by helenthegardener; 20-04-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 51,387 Posts
    • 21,753 Thanks
    grumbler
    their shops

Re Co-op see post #22 above.

Re Sainsbury's I don't think that they offer current accounts. For savings they suggest to post cheques - 'ask a question' at the top of https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • stclair
    • By stclair 23rd Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 3,356 Thanks
    stclair
    I personally never pay postage to a business just add free post into the address and the letter has alwats made its way there lol
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 23rd Apr 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I personally never pay postage to a business just add free post into the address and the letter has alwats made its way there lol
    Originally posted by stclair
    You do realise that simply writing 'freepost' into the address doesn't mean it gets delivered free? If they don't have a legitimate freepost arrangement with Royal Mail then the recipient still needs to pay the relevant postage plus the associated admin charge - this may have worked for you with some businesses but it's not really a viable generic recommendation, especially for sending cheques.

Edit: should have added that the recipient can choose whether or not to accept unpaid mail, so relying on them doing so isn't wise....
    Last edited by eskbanker; 23-04-2017 at 3:22 PM.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 23rd Apr 17, 5:47 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 3,356 Thanks
    stclair
    It's been working fine for me for years ��

I used to work in a post room and umpteen letters would cone without enough postage or non at all. Royal also would invoice the company on a regular basis.

Just the same as when customers send SAE the company would very rarly use them.

Obviously it's down to the individual person if they want to do it not. Most companies have a free post address and maybe the OP should ask Lloyds if they have one.

I'm not recommending anyone should do I'm just telling you my own personal experience.
    Last edited by stclair; 23-04-2017 at 6:03 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • custardy
    • By custardy 23rd Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    • 32,211 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    custardy
    Originally posted by stclair
    So basically your view is you shouldn't pay for services you use? (lol?)
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 29,359 Posts
    • 18,567 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I wanted to know if I could pay cheques in to a Sainsbury's or Co-op bank account at there shops as there is one near to me.
    Originally posted by helenthegardener
    Open up an account with either of them and transfer the money once cleared to an account of your choice.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 7,246 Posts
    • 5,222 Thanks
    pmduk
    Owners of phones with Cyanogen Mod (such as our 2 WileyFox phones) will be glad to learn that version 13 - Android 6.0.1 - will be updated to Nougat by WFox, by June this year. Recently had an email from WFox regarding that.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    This means that some apps previously unable to be used eg the Barclays app, can now be used on the upgraded WF phones.

Before, the app considered the phones to be rooted and insecure. My WF phone was upgraded to Nougat last month.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 23,753 Posts
    • 10,976 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    This means that some apps previously unable to be used eg the Barclays app, can now be used on the upgraded WF phones.

Before, the app considered the phones to be rooted and insecure. My WF phone was upgraded to Nougat last month.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    w..t..f.. are you on about?
    Only nougat I use ends in my mouth.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,202Posts Today

6,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin