Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlegrebe
    • By littlegrebe 16th Apr 17, 10:41 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    littlegrebe
    0 WOW
    European destination with little walking?
    • 16th Apr 17, 10:41 AM
    0 WOW
    European destination with little walking? 16th Apr 17 at 10:41 AM
    Any suggestion for a European holiday which would involve little walking please as I can no longer walk very far?

We would prefer not to go to a beach resort unless there were other attractions easily accessible. We like nature, museums, architecture and history. We are happy to use public transport and willing to pay for centrally located accommodation.

I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you
Page 1
    • Shimrod
    • By Shimrod 16th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    Shimrod
    • 16th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 16th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    How long do you want to go for and what is your budget?

A couple of suggestions for shorter holidays are:
    Venice - compact, will give you museums, architecture and history. You're never too far from the grand canal so easy to hop on and off the boats. Not a cheap place to stay though.

Vienna - it's a long time since I've been, but I remember it as a compact city with excellent public transport. We stayed by the Viennese woods and got the train in. Staying centrally, you could do day trips to Salzburg and other areas.

Have you considered a cruise? A Norwegian cruise would gives lots a nature and some architecture - most of the places visited by the cruise ships are small so not much walking to get around and you can always book excursions.
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    photome
    • 16th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    I love Krakow
    its cheap, great food with loads of restaurants around the old town main square, hotels also on the main square. trams are frequent, there are also buggy tours that depart from the main square to 4 different areas of krakow.

lots of history and architecture.
    • littlegrebe
    • By littlegrebe 16th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    littlegrebe
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions

We are flexible on length of stay. As i cannot rush the minimum would be 4 days but previously we have changed locations and spent a few days in another city.

Our budget is about $1500 (lost sterling sign and cannot restore at the moment!) but for the right holiday we could go for more.

I am not sure about a cruise as we are still (relatively) young so i thought I would reserve that option for if/when I have to use a mobility scooter
    Last edited by littlegrebe; 16-04-2017 at 5:34 PM.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 7,151 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    I chose Munich as my first destination after osteoarthritis surgery for all those very reasons. Public transport over the whole region is superb and an Isar-Karte gets you all of it for a pretty reasonable price (some hotels also throw-in day cards with the rooms), some of the best galleries and museums in Europe, a good range of architecture, esp if you like imperial/Gothic Renaissance and modern - all accessible by a bus or tram from right outside my hotel - tram and Underground to all the main parts of the city centre or to the side of a lake with views to the Alps - even some shops/shopping centres have direct access to stations and a a smart/cool modern city with a great range of stuff to do.

History too - oh yes! Some of it very challenging certainly but a fascinating place.

Good hotels are on the reasonable end of the price scale and access from UK airports id great - either direct or via Amsterdam/Frankfurt.

I've been back since - following my third operation but when I was able to walk a bit further and yes there is even more to see and do now I'm more mobile again.
    Last edited by pogofish; 16-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    • littlegrebe
    • By littlegrebe 16th Apr 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    littlegrebe
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:18 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:18 PM
    Thanks Pogofish.

Yes we really enjoyed Munich for all the reasons you write and we are considering returning. Just would like the option of somewhere else!
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 16th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    In Croatia at the moment.
    Split is less than 2.5 hours from LGW.
    Airport shuttle to the historic area takes 35 minutes, and costs just less than £4pp [33Kuna].
    Lots of accommodation options in the historic area.
    Very flat terrain.
    Lots of culture and history.
    Very clean, few cars.
    Loads of reasonable restaurants indoor and outdoor, and places to drink.
    Beautiful islands like Brac [£7 return and 50 minutes each way], and Hvar for day trips and day cruises.
    Exceptionally friendly folk, and no language issues, they love English.
    10 out of 10 from moi and the cook.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 16th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    gfplux
    • 16th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    Luxembourg?
    Very close to the UK.
    Very good transport system
    I am a Remainder. Brexiteers spent much of the last 40 years campaigning for Britain to leave the EU. I feel entitled to continue to say it will prove a bad move for Britain, I still hope it will not happen. In the 70's (when we joined) Britain was known as the sick man of Europe. (Source Wikipedia)
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    Ljubljana for two or three days. Lots of coach options to take in other locations beyond there.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 17th Apr 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    Neil49
    Thanks for the suggestions

I am not sure about a cruise as we are still (relatively) young so i thought I would reserve that option for if/when I have to use a mobility scooter
    Originally posted by littlegrebe
    Despite your reservations a cruise would seem to be an ideal option. The age range on a cruise ship is somewhat lower than you imagine. The advantages for you would be that you get transported to different locations with little or no effort and can always stay onboard if you aren't up to walking far. Restaurants, bars and entertainment are all within easy reach.

Should you wish to go on a shore excursions you will find that they are all have details of the level of walking ability required, the number of steps involved etc to ensure passengers know what to expect.

If everyone on them waited to go on one until they were using a mobility scooter it would be chaotic on board!
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 18th Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Paris, Not as expensive as you would think.
    The transport is easy.
    Tons to do.
    • paulfarrugia
    • By paulfarrugia 18th Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    paulfarrugia
    Reykjavik in Iceland is small and easy to get around. There is still plenty to do and the all the nearby attractions are by coach with very little walking.
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    skint_chick
    If you liked Munich then what about Berlin? There is so much public transport that you can get about easily with very little walking - there's U bahn stations at all the major points of interest, and lots to do and see. There are lots of day trips you can do too with little walking - Potsdam (and a hop on hop off bus to the palaces), Sachsenhausen if you like that type of history, Leipzig etc.

I enjoyed Lisbon - which sounds like a walking nightmare with the hills - but the trams are very good and I only walked a short distance down a hill after visiting the cathedral. Everywhere else was metro/tram and very reasonably priced.

Cologne was great too, lots to see and great public transport. I would recommend either German cities for the public transport or a river cruise if you have the budget. My mum has mobility issues and can't walk far, and loves river cruises because as someone else said there are so many options when you get there- you're usually in a central area and can just wander around yourself, or take a guided tour. There are some lovely options through Germany and into Austria/Switzerland, or Netherlands and Belgium.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 18th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    Gibraltar is only 2 miles or so in total so requires little walking, you can get tours round.

Can see monkeys, lots of history and a lovely place. We went there on a tour from a First Choice Holiday Village resort in Spain but you can also stay there. Think BA fly there.

Also love Venice and Bruges is nice and both little walking.

Saw brown bears in wild in Finland (Arola Bears, you stay on site) but you do need to walk say 500 metres for that and also have a car. Think they are in Croatia too.
    • littlegrebe
    • By littlegrebe 19th Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    littlegrebe
    Thanks to everyone who replied. We are thinking of Cologne and some river cruises this holiday but have had lots of good suggestions which we will take up in the future
    • slinga
    • By slinga 20th Apr 17, 2:16 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    slinga
    Ljubljana for two or three days. Lots of coach options to take in other locations beyond there.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Interesting.

Can you expand on this a bit?
    And where did you stay?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Interesting.

Can you expand on this a bit?
    And where did you stay?
    Originally posted by slinga
    Travelled solo. Flew from Luton.

Airport bus to the city €4.10 each way.

Stayed in a hotel called the Allegro on the edge of the old town, under the castle, twenty minutes walk from the bus station. Rate included breakfast.

Did a walking tour and boat trip on day one. Investigated the castle and other places of interest on day two. Chilled sitting in bars overlooking the river.

Paid €13 return for a bus to Lake Bled on day three. Lovely place.

Back to Ljubljana day four and people watched from bars in glorious weather.

On catching the bus home I noticed routes to places as far afield as Stockholm, Marseille, Munich as well as closer destinations such as Zagreb and Padua.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 20th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Travelled solo. Flew from Luton.

Airport bus to the city €4.10 each way.

Stayed in a hotel called the Allegro on the edge of the old town, under the castle, twenty minutes walk from the bus station. Rate included breakfast.

Did a walking tour and boat trip on day one. Investigated the castle and other places of interest on day two. Chilled sitting in bars overlooking the river.

Paid €13 return for a bus to Lake Bled on day three. Lovely place.

Back to Ljubljana day four and people watched from bars in glorious weather.

On catching the bus home I noticed routes to places as far afield as Stockholm, Marseille, Munich as well as closer destinations such as Zagreb and Padua.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Just got back last night from 2 great weeks in stunning Croatia.....Split, Brac, and Tucepi. Purposely didn't use up all our Kuna, in order to encourage us to return asap.

Zagreb for a week or so as a base for day trips is looking good for this September. Then where.....let the planning commence.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 20th Apr 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Blue264
    uniI agree with a lot of what has been recommended here. Croatia and Ljubljana are on my hit list. I remember when Ljubljana was the clubbing capital of Europe before the Yugoslav war and rise of Ibiza.

Personally, I'd add Salzburg to the Munich trip, and get a hotel in the old town, or just across the River Salzach so that you have the views of the old town, such as the Hotel Stein http://www.hotelstein.at/en/images-salzburg-austria.html
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 20th Apr 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 5,095 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    Cologne was great too, lots to see and great public transport. I would recommend either German cities for the public transport or a river cruise if you have the budget. My mum has mobility issues and can't walk far, and loves river cruises because as someone else said there are so many options when you get there- you're usually in a central area and can just wander around yourself, or take a guided tour. There are some lovely options through Germany and into Austria/Switzerland, or Netherlands and Belgium.
    Originally posted by skint_chick
    You could do worse than the Rhine Valley in general to be honest (particularly the middle Rhine). Some stunning cities that are never far from the countryside.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,349Posts Today

8,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin