Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joe134
    • By joe134 16th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 3,034Posts
    • 399Thanks
    joe134
    re-mbam scan
    • 16th Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    re-mbam scan 16th Apr 17 at 9:31 AM
    Hi Guys, When I turned Pc on today, Mbam Premium popped up saying certain protection items were turned off?
    When I checked , Web Shield was turned off, so turned it back on.
    I then noticed Scan for Rootkits was off, but was off last time the Pop-up told me same thing a few weeks ago,( it was scan for Ransomware, that time, which I turned back on)
    It's probably never been turned on, never noticed.
    .This time, my Pc has crashed 3 times when it scans for Rootkits,beeped and Blue Screen with writing, telling me to restart, after turning off, or taking off any new added items.
    I have now turned Rootkits back off, and scanned ok.no problems?

why should my Pc crash as soon as Mbam scans for them?.
    did it find one?

Any reason why these items keep being turned off, not by me?
    Last edited by joe134; 16-04-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Page 1
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 17th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    I had this when I tried the trail Pro version so I uninstalled it and am back on the free version. If you're W10 like me there seems to be some idiocynracies between the two. I'm trying Malware Hunter at the moment to see if it's as good as the older vrsion of MBAM. I always swore by it in the past but since they've updated it I'm not sure MBAM is as good now.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 17th Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Lambyr
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    I'll be honest, since MalwareBytes 3.0 came along, I've had issues every few weeks with one of the protection modules turning off and not being able to be turned back on without faffing about disabling certain modules to get it to boot up properly and then re-enabling.

I always had a lot of admiration and respect for MalwareBytes, but 3.0 is a glitchy PITA at times. If I wasn't on a cheap legacy subscription, I'd cancel it and try something else.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 17th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Gillor
    • 17th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    • 17th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    Not sure what the problem is but it sounds like MBAM may have become corrupted, either by a fault in the programme itself, conflict with other security software or malware.

MBAM has been the “default” on-demand anti-malware scanner for years now and still seems to be the majority recommendation, and although I’ve been using the Premium/Professional version for years now I have the feeling that the company is either “resting on its laurels” or is failing to keep up with the latest malware threats. Not only that, but the programme now seems decidedly flaky.

Although I have a lifetime license I've stopped using it in favour of Zemana Anti Malware which is available free as an on-demand scanner or paid for with real-time protection, much like MBAM. IMHO it’s speedier, more stable and gives much better protection when I've tested it against multiple malware samples.

This seems to be born out by AVLab’s report Protection Against Ransomeware Threats October 2016 where MBAM was positioned in the bottom category.

However, if you are happy with MBAM, try uninstalling it and then scanning with something like Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Emegency Kit or even Zemana and then do a fresh install of MBAM.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 18th Apr 17, 6:44 AM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:44 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:44 AM
    Not sure what the problem is but it sounds like MBAM may have become corrupted, either by a fault in the programme itself, conflict with other security software or malware.

MBAM has been the “default” on-demand anti-malware scanner for years now and still seems to be the majority recommendation, and although I’ve been using the Premium/Professional version for years now I have the feeling that the company is either “resting on its laurels” or is failing to keep up with the latest malware threats. Not only that, but the programme now seems decidedly flaky.

Although I have a lifetime license I've stopped using it in favour of Zemana Anti Malware which is available free as an on-demand scanner or paid for with real-time protection, much like MBAM. IMHO it’s speedier, more stable and gives much better protection when I've tested it against multiple malware samples.

This seems to be born out by AVLab’s report Protection Against Ransomeware Threats October 2016 where MBAM was positioned in the bottom category.

However, if you are happy with MBAM, try uninstalling it and then scanning with something like Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Emegency Kit or even Zemana and then do a fresh install of MBAM.
    Originally posted by Gillor
    Thanks all, thought it was just mine.
    i have had it years,it's free, and as it is on my laptop, which I use only for non secure stuff, I will stick with it, until I change Pc.
    Use I-Pad for banking.
    I read rootkits are hard to detect by any security system?
    Just wondered if one was on, and, caused crash, when detected?
    Doubt I will know for sure, without another re-instal, which I don't want to do with this 10 year old W7 Acer, it's been good to me.
    Just have to be wary.
    Seems Mbam ain't what it used to be.
    Do you have Rootkit enabled on yours, without problems?.
    Are the ones you quoted free?
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 18th Apr 17, 8:34 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Gillor
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:34 AM
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Zemana Anti Virus are free. Hitman Pro is free to scan but normally you have to subscribe to remove anything it finds. However, if I recall, you get the first time scan/removal free.

As you say rootkits are notoriously difficult to identify and remove. GMER, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Sophos Virus Removal Tool and Dr. Web CureIt are all free but I have to be honest I’ve not had much joy with any of them.

Once you have had any serious malware infection the only way you can be 100% sure it’s gone is to do a fresh re-install of your operating system.
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 18th Apr 17, 1:15 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    hans 2
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:15 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:15 PM
    Try a scan with another old favourite

SUPERAntiSpyware
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 18th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Gillor
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    Try a scan with another old favourite

SUPERAntiSpyware
    Originally posted by hans 2
    The keyword being "old"

A cracking anti-spyware programme ten years ago but IMHO about as useful as a marzipan spanner nowadays. Which is a shame as it used be excellent, especially when combined with the old MBAM.

Unfortunately neither seem to be that effective nowadays.
    Last edited by Gillor; 18-04-2017 at 8:03 PM.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th Apr 17, 12:36 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:36 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:36 AM
    I suspect it realises something is wrong and disables them. there is a chance you have something and it is doing it but you would need more monitoring.

Personally I did not like the GUI change after v1.75 OR the slower speed, so that is what I use, it may be a bit more basic (no rootkit scan) but I use apps from Bleeping Computer for Rootkits if I suspect such an infection on a machine.

It uses the same DB, you just have to go to update settings and tell it not to download new versions of program.

I think AV programs have got silly, tail wagging the dog, turn your PC into a malware scanning device and not enough CPU to do much else.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    Thanks Guys, looks like living with it, or a re-instal, which I don't want to do if possible;.
    kids want to buy me a new Pc for my 70th,July, may just go down that route, this being 10 years old.
    I think I know where the Rootkit came from,( IF) I have it, when I upgraded from Vista to W7.
    Had a little outside help or, not, as the case may be.
    My stupidity, trusting.
    I just want to be sure, if possible a Rootkit is on it?
    peace of mind, but, suspect I have, and it's crashing pc when found?
    I have always suspected something was not just right with Pc afterwards, but coudn't be sure, hence purchase of I-pad for secure online stuff.
    Use this for surfing etc, which is ok.one gets paranoid after a while, chasing malware etc
    I have to use mbam without rootkit detect on, which shows pc is ok, or scan for rookit on, and keep crashing it.
    rather self evident ones on , and staying on.
    Last edited by joe134; 19-04-2017 at 7:41 AM.
    • Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 19th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Lambyr
    Might it be worth trying the MalwareBytes forums?

They'll probably ask you to gather some logs for them, but then they'll be able to tell you whether it is a rootkit as you fear, or whether it's something benign causing the programme to crash.

Not suggesting nobody here could do it, but it is their product so whether the crashes are caused by a rootkit or not, they might want to try and fix the problem as well as advise?

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 19th Apr 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    "Avast" allows you to scan for rootkits at boot time, so other AV software probably does too - what AV software do you use?

Have you looked to see if yours does?

Doesn't solve the MBAM problem but may ease your concerns by running other software to check for potential rootkits
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 19th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Gillor
    If you’ve decided to live with the (possible) rootkit situation make sure you delete all sensitive information on your PC such as email contacts, banking details, passwords etc. or any information which could possibly be of use to a potential hacker.

You also need to ensure the rootkit it doesn’t attack other machines on the network and that you don’t cross infect any other Windows machines you have, or come into contact with.

I still think it’s worth giving Kaspersky TDSSKiller a run to see if it finds anything so at least you will know if there is an actual infection. It’s simple to use and you can download it direct from Kaspersky’s website - if you can find it tucked away there - or from Major Geeks…
    www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_tdsskiller.html
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 19th Apr 17, 11:00 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    hans 2
    If confident, as you have W7 why not run ComboFix that may well sort it.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    "Avast" allows you to scan for rootkits at boot time, so other AV software probably does too - what AV software do you use?

Have you looked to see if yours does?

Doesn't solve the MBAM problem but may ease your concerns by running other software to check for potential rootkits
    Originally posted by danthemoneysavingman
    Hi dan, I have Avast, and run boot time scan often, no sign of rootkit on it, but will do another now.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    If you’ve decided to live with the (possible) rootkit situation make sure you delete all sensitive information on your PC such as email contacts, banking details, passwords etc. or any information which could possibly be of use to a potential hacker.

You also need to ensure the rootkit it doesn’t attack other machines on the network and that you don’t cross infect any other Windows machines you have, or come into contact with.

I still think it’s worth giving Kaspersky TDSSKiller a run to see if it finds anything so at least you will know if there is an actual infection. It’s simple to use and you can download it direct from Kaspersky’s website - if you can find it tucked away there - or from Major Geeks…
    www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_tdsskiller.html
    Originally posted by Gillor
    Thanks Gillor, I would like to find it if possible, because, it may affect my I-pad and network, e-mail etc.
    Will try as you suggest now.
    Last edited by joe134; 19-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Apr 17, 11:31 AM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    Thanks Gillor, I would like to find it if possible, because, it may affect my I-pad and network, e-mail etc.
    Will try as you suggest now.
    Originally posted by joe134
    Just Run it, from your link, and it found nothing, which is nice to know.

Just need to find out why, it crashes when I turn rottkits on in Mbam now?
    Will try the forum next.
    Thanks all.appreciate all your help.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    If confident, as you have W7 why not run ComboFix that may well sort it.
    Confidence in the tech dept is not my strong point, but, will try anything, as I don't want to infect anything else, or be hacked, if not already.
    Does anyone on here actually have rootkit scan turned on, on their mbam as a default setting?
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 19th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    hans 2
    Does anyone on here actually have rootkit scan turned on, on their mbam as a default setting?
    Originally posted by joe134
    Default setting is off.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    Default setting is off.
    thanks hans, that's how mine was, until I turned it on, when it told me some settings were turned off, web, being one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,070Posts Today

7,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin