Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 15th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Super Louse
    LG G4 Bootloop EE/Carphone Warehouse saga.
    • 15th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    LG G4 Bootloop EE/Carphone Warehouse saga. 15th Apr 17 at 10:09 PM
    Hi guys! I was recommended to share this story with you by a good friend so I hope some find it useful as well as someone being able to help me!

Il start from the very beginning of this saga from the day I bought my new LG G4 at cribbs carphone warehouse. I opted to trade in my HTC M8 to cover the upfront cost of the new contract and phone with EE (ive been an EE customer as long as I can remember!). My LG G4 was not at the store that day so they said they would hold on to my HTC M8 until my LG arrived and we could transfer all my data and wipe the phone. They placed my phone in an envelope clearly makred "do not send". This as far as im concerned was part of the deal for me to sign on to my new contract. A few days later I am notified that my LG has arrived for collection in store. On arrival at the store the gentleman who served me last time dashed off to go find both my phones - he came back with the LG but could not find my HTC.

He went back to look for my phone again leaving me and my partner standing there for a good 20 mins - he never came back - instead a manger came out to explain that my phone had been sent to the trade in centre by mistake and that they would make sure they got it sent back. 3 or so weeks later with repeated visits and phone calls they then tell me that the phone is lost forever along with my data. Now, the shop honestly couldn't of cared less but after talking to carphone warehouse customer services people I received a bit of compensation - about £200 I think but it was like drawing blood out of a stone and to be honest It didn't go anywhere near to making that experience feel ok.

Fast forward about a year on and me swearing id never step foot in that bloody store again and my LG G4 just suddenly turns off and will not turn back on, later research on this diagnosed this as a well known issue called "Bootloop" - it basically makes the phone completely useless. Also worth noting is that LG are being sued in america for this. I first contacted LG who did offer to repair the phone for free BUT could not provide a courtesy phone in the mean time and that it would be up to where I bought the phone to provide one. So I went to EE to talk about it but sadly they said they couldn't help as the phone was from carphone warehouse - I then was left with no option but to return to carphone warehouse who needless to say were frankly really horrible about it and the shop assistant was just rambling on about how i should of bought insurance. I stood my ground and eventually got past on to the manager who luckily was less rubbish but said that they couldnt sort out a loan phone as I was getting it repaired through LG. SO. As carphone warehouse were so desperate to relieve me of my phone once again (lets see if they can loose this one as well! ) I cancelled my repair with LG explaining the situation and that Carphone warehouse would repair under warranty witch was no problem as I hadn't even sent my LG G4 to them yet anyway.

Carphone Warehouse have promised to fix my phone free of charge. the staff in the store were unaware of the bootloop issue
    I checked the repair tracker on Thursday witch said it was "rea.dy to collect" so I dashed in on Friday to be told it wasn't at the store and "ready to collect" didn't mean it was ready to collect (WTF). I have been told it should be there next week and il get a text. we will see what they say then - also worth noting my partner had the same problem with her G3 from the same store and has had to take up another contract as they refused to repair it under warrenty because of "damage".. so she is paying for her old broken LG G3 and an iphone 7 deal off of USwitch.

lots of information to take in i know, sorry. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Ps. just in case anyone missed it, its Carphone Warehouse Bristol Cribbs Causeway I strongly recommend giving them a visit if you hate yourself.
    Last edited by Super Louse; 16-04-2017 at 3:02 PM.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 9,842 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 16th Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 16th Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    Sorry i tried but failed to understand to much of a ramble .

Bootloop is generally a firmware or users software fault that can normally be fixed by a factory reset .
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 16th Apr 17, 3:01 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Super Louse
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:01 PM
    Thankyou for your response. On this occasion the issue with with my phone and many others (LG 5, V10, Nexus) is a hardware default. id post links to articles about it but im not allowed!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    • 30,268 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    Thankyou for your response. On this occasion the issue with with my phone and many others (LG 5, V10, Nexus) is a hardware default. id post links to articles about it but im not allowed!
    Originally posted by Super Louse
    You can post links, it just wont be a clickable link as spaces will be added.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 16th Apr 17, 3:19 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Super Louse
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:19 PM
    I just tried again and it said i cant as im a new user. Anyway. Does not matter. if anyone wants to read up about it just google lg g4 bootloop
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    • 30,268 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    Well other new posters have managed it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 16th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Super Louse
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    Glad to hear it! Thanks for your help
    • Lazy hoops 97
    • By Lazy hoops 97 16th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lazy hoops 97
    • 16th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 16th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/class-action-lawsuit-targets-lg-over-legendary-g4-v10-bootloop-issues/

The time you took to reply is probably about the same time it took to google it
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 20th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Super Louse
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    Bump!
    Will hopefully have a fixed phone as of tommorow but
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Super Louse
    *but am worried they will try to charge me some mysterious damage. I have such little trust for carphone warehouse as it is. I really hope they dont mess me aroubd any futher
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 20th Apr 17, 11:20 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    ryan121
    With the bootloop situation, they've done nothing wrong. I had the same issue when I was with three and I had to get it repaired direct with LG. Three don't do courtesy phones. All they have to do is make sure you can get it repaired, that's it really.

They are wrong to suggest insurance would have helped though. Insurance won't cover something that can be dealt with under a warranty.

Sadly all you can do is wait and with LG it took two weeks to be repaired for me.

For the future, I'd advise never buying an LG phone again. From what I learned the issue is due to poor quality materials being used. There are much better brands with much better service out there. Also, I know carphone warehouse is cheaper than going direct but I think you get much better service if you go direct with the network. The two times I've complained to three they've been amazing. Can't imagine carphone warehouse being better, to be honest.
    • Super Louse
    • By Super Louse 21st Apr 17, 2:56 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Super Louse
    Since going through this ive been looking at other providers and I keep on hearing how good three are for customer service. Suprised they would not provide a courtesy phone tho! Also am I correct in saying in your case three should of repaired it under warrenty?

You are correct with carphone warehouse. They havent done anything wrong (yet) but they didnt handle it brilliantly either. As for not buying LG again it saddens me to agree with you as i do think bar this issue they make good phones. I really dont see how shops are still getting away with putting people on 2 year contracts with phones that simply will not last that long.
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 22nd Apr 17, 2:16 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    ryan121
    To be fair to three most places don't provide courtesy phones and the ones that do only provide a cheap nokia which doesn't really cut it these days when most people have smartphones.

In regards to repairs with three, in the first instance, you have to deal with the manufacturer direct as that is who the warranty is with. I presume if it can't be resolved that way then three will deal with it.

As phones are becoming more complex it seems to be more common that people are having issues. Not much you can do really.
    • d123
    • By d123 29th May 17, 1:12 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    To fix boot-loop issue here is best solution. Try this:
    First backup the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone.
    Enable the USB debugging option on your handset.
    Download the update file on your computer; don’t unzip the file.
    Remember that your device must be rooted and installed with a custom recovery image.
    Place the ROM file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
    Then turn off your device and reboot it into recovery mode.
    From recovery mode wipe the system as showed during the previous method.
    Then return to the recovery menu and select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
    In the end reboot your phone.
    Do note that if your handset gets stuck in a boot loop you will have to reboot into recovery mode once more for wiping the internal system (the cache, the dlavik cache and wipe data factory reset).
    Get more information in Lg G4 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-lg-g4-manual&po=325291&lang=English.Good Luck.
    Originally posted by yhegfjh
    It's well documented that the LG bootloop was caused by poor quality materials and shoddy workmanship in the production of the handsets, they need to have replacement parts fitted, no hard reset is going to successfully fix the G4.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

3,838Users online

Martin's Twitter