Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 15th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9,558Posts
    • 50,186Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Computer problem.
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    Computer problem. 15th Apr 17 at 8:27 PM
    Medion Tower System.

Working perfectly. Turned my back for about 30 minutes, and came back to a blank monitor. Couldn't get an image from waggling the mouse or briefly pressing the power switch to wake it up.

Switched off, then back on again. Still no image on monitor, and computer was giving out three bleeps, repeating.

After several restarts, bleeping has stopped, but still no screen image.

Monitor tested on Laptop, and is working.

Any ideas/suggestions.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
Page 2
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Iv got a box of old video cards and you are more than welcome to one (no charge) if you want ..

Iv got nothing that is going to blow you away but if it works then at least you know where the problem is and can source one to suit your needs ..
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Apr 17, 11:06 PM
    • 11,178 Posts
    • 6,214 Thanks
    Strider590
    It's unusual for video cards to just fail, normally you get clues like random crashes and on screen "artefacts" way before they finally die.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 16th Apr 17, 11:14 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Some machines fail on POST for simple things like no monitor plugged in or no keyboard. With keyboard error you get an on screen message, with monitor you get beeps. First thing is check the monitor is properly connected, firm and square. Could be as easy as that.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 18th Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 9,558 Posts
    • 50,186 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I've ordered the video card.

Even if it turns out not to be the video at fault, I'll still end up with better video.

I've also ordered a HDD caddy, just in case I have to replace the computer, so I can recover the data from the HDD.

• DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th Apr 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    DavidP24
    In all your testing has the power been removed from the PSU for any length of time?

Sometimes disconnecting all power for 20m will clear an error in some PSU's

When it boots at the moment, it is not getting past POST, but are you able to establish if it is spinning the hard disk, reading the CD Drive?

If it were the video card it would still boot, it might be sending a message to the screen that you can't see saying "Error XXX press F1 to continue"

So try pressing F1 anyway, see if it does something. make sure monitor is connected BTW

For example if the BIOS has lost power because the 2032 battery lost power then it may have defaulted,

If no joy, then try disconnecting all power, removing the 2032 battery and leaving it out.

Then power up and see if error sounds different

Turn off put 2032 battery back and power up.

Again try F1

If your system is old and has PS/2 connectors on KB and Mouse make sure they are in right ports and check that no pins are bent, unlikely it is them but with all the connecting and disconnecting after the initial fault it can happen.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 18th Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 9,558 Posts
    • 50,186 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    In all your testing has the power been removed from the PSU for any length of time?
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Yes.

but are you able to establish if it is spinning the hard disk, reading the CD Drive?
    It is doing both.

So try pressing F1 anyway, see if it does something.
    It's a bit late now (I have an early start tomorrow), but I'll try it when I get home tomorrow evening.

Then power up and see if error sounds different
    Currently there are no error sounds, which makes me think it is booting up, but I just can't see it.

If your system is old and has PS/2 connectors on KB and Mouse make sure they are in right ports and check that no pins are bent
    Both Keyboard and Mouse are USB.

• Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 18th Apr 17, 10:40 PM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    It's unusual for integrated graphics cards to fail on their own because they're part of the processor or motherboard itself. I suspect the machine isn't booting although one easy check is to look at the caps lock/number lock lights - they should flash when the machine powers on and if the machine is responding normally, the lights should go on and off when you press the caps lock/num lock keys. If those lights aren't responding then it's likely the machine has hung.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 30th Apr 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9,558 Posts
    • 50,186 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Video card arrived during the week, and am about to fit it.

While putting it on the bench, I spotted a label on the underside of the tower , giving the details, which are as follows.

Model: PC MT 14

Type: Medion MED MT8062

• were
    • By were 30th Apr 17, 7:56 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    have a poke around here and you may find a manual https://www.medion.com/gb/service/start/_product.php?msn=30019631&gid=00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

2,156Users online

Martin's Twitter