Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 984Posts
    • 965Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Weight getting me down
    • 15th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    Weight getting me down 15th Apr 17 at 4:34 PM
    I decided to post on this board rather than health and fitness because my issue is that my weight is now impacting on my family relationships.
    As a child,teenager and young adult I was slim. However at around 27/28 I started putting on weight. I'm now 5 stone heavier than when I met my husband. I always thought I'd deal with it at some point but just never had the drive. I'm not even sure why I gained the weight.
    However I now feel quite down because of the way my mum looks at me and constantly tells me its bad for my health, I need to lose weight, I should eat less etc. I know she is right but feeling that my mum is embarrassed / disappointed in me, really hurts. The photo of me at my parents house is 14 years old. I'm sure its because they are embarrassed to display a recent 'fat' photo.
    I've tried slimming world / NHS plan but my problem is sticking to it. I don't seem to have the willpower. I'm now worried about getting unwell and these years of comments have really knocked my confidence. I feel ugly and as though I haven't achieved anything.
    Has anyone tried counseling? Could my gp help or do I just need to man up?!
Page 9
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 20th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Can I ask "why is Spray fry bad for you?"

Thank you
    Originally posted by castleton
    They are made with manufactured cooking oils, all of which are bad for us, and then they add a few more artificial ingredients to make it even more unhealthy.

Cooking oils are made using hexane, which is a carcinogenic. They are not a natural product.
    Cooking oils are then used to make margarines, spreadable butters, sprays etc.

Healthy Fat is NOT bad for us. It is the preferred fuel for the body and brain. Being low fat is denying the body the correct fuel and will harm in the long run.

Only eat healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, butter, lard, tallow etc.
    Eating fat reduces cravings and keeps you full longer. It also helps nutrients to be absorbed properly and cells to function correctly.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 20th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Why do runners get bent out of shape when somebody dares to suggest that running might not be the perfect, most blissful form of physical activity for everyone?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    We don't. We do however get bent out of shape when people say that no-one should run because it is boring (which is subjective) and is bad for you (which is objectively wrong).
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 20th Apr 17, 3:56 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I know its only few days but I have decided to eat 'normal' foods just less of it and drink more water and i feel happier already. I haven't felt frustrated or limited or constantly hungry or thinking about food. I'd rather enjoy a smaller portion of full fat whatever than loads of stuff I don't really want. I was getting sick of mug shots and mushy peas. Tasty but I never felt full. Thanks again for the support.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 7:39 PM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Small steps, Fireflyaway.

I wish you all the best.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 21st Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    I know its only few days but I have decided to eat 'normal' foods just less of it and drink more water and i feel happier already. I haven't felt frustrated or limited or constantly hungry or thinking about food. I'd rather enjoy a smaller portion of full fat whatever than loads of stuff I don't really want. I was getting sick of mug shots and mushy peas. Tasty but I never felt full. Thanks again for the support.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Keep up the good work
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 21st Apr 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 4,551 Thanks
    Angry Bear
    I think they've still got to lose it, not sure they have yet...

Been looking at the 5:2 today too. I wish someone could just do me a meal plan lol. So much easier! Found a list of nice recipes for under 250 cals, but it didn't say exactly how many so no idea what else I could eat that day... I go a bit number blind when it comes to diets!

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    For what it's worth, I have a selection of "go to" recipes that I've worked out with myfitnesspal and I eat on fasting days.
    Typically, I'll skip breakfast (as I don't tend to feel as hungry if I haven't had anything to eat) and have my first food at about 3pm. I usually eat a vegetable soup for about 150 calories (carrot and coriander, mushroom, tomato - hundreds of calorie counted recipes out there and most of them freeze really well).

For evening in the summer I'll have a salad with either an egg or some chicken with it for about 250 calories. In the winter I like something hot, so might stir fry some broccoli with chicken, garlic and chilly (or something like that). You can get a surprising amount if you choose wisely.

And the unintended effects for me have been really surprising - I've got used to what it really is to feel hungry again and tend to eat less out of boredom. I've (re-)learned how little you actually need to eat to feel full. I've (re-)learned how long it takes after you've eaten before you feel full - I now never eat dessert or anything "extra" for at least 30 minutes after my meal as I can't really tell if I'm hungry or not. I've learned how often I really do mistake thirst for hunger and now will drink some water then wait 10 minutes before deciding I'm really hungry.

For me - I find only having to think about what I eat two days a week really freeing and easy to stick with. Everyone is different of course, so you may not have the same feel.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 23rd Apr 17, 8:51 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    amateur house
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Good luck, I think that is the most sensible approach. I have tried various diets over the years and find them hard to stick to. I lasted a morning with 5:2, just knowing I was allowed so few calories to last a whole day made me feel drained by lunchtime. Even when on a normal day I only have time for a slice of toast up to lunchtime anyway.
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 23rd Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    12/14 is 'normal' isn't it? Especially as we get older.
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    It possibly used to be, but sizing has got enormous these days. A true size 12 is about a modern day size 8.

In fact I actually measured the waist on a size 8 skirt and it measured 30 inches!!

Size 12-14 is getting big, unless you happen to be very tall.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 23rd Apr 17, 10:25 PM
    • 12,292 Posts
    • 16,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    In fact I actually measured the waist on a size 8 skirt and it measured 30 inches!!
    Originally posted by professor~yaffle
    I suspect that you may have a dodgy tape measure or the skirt was mislabelled. My wife has several size 8 skirts and a 25 inch waist. A 30 inch waist skirt would end up around her knees.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 24th Apr 17, 7:13 AM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It possibly used to be, but sizing has got enormous these days. A true size 12 is about a modern day size 8.

Size 12-14 is getting big, unless you happen to be very tall.
    I made a similar point about sizes from yester-year further back in the thread:
    I was a size 12 when I got married for the first time.

Now I wear size 12 trousers & a 14 top/dress.

But I'm nowhere near the same size as I was 43 years ago.

A proper size 10 skirt was a 22" waist and a 12 was 24" waist.
    Tiny! Tiny! Tiny!
    But it was the norm for many women at that time.
    I still have a skirt from all those years ago and it really does measure 12" across the waistband.

Heavens knows what size my current 12 M&S trousers would have been back on the early 1970s.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 24th Apr 17, 9:52 AM
    • 27,623 Posts
    • 70,179 Thanks
    Mojisola
    It possibly used to be, but sizing has got enormous these days.
    This chart shows the change in sizes since the mid 70s -
    http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/size-inflation-in-clothing.html
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 24th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    someone told me that marks and spencers 12 is bigger than a Top shop 12... maybe too get more customers.?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 24th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    when I watch superzie vs supper skinny .
    ive alway thought that "skinny girl" was perfect and then I look at the comments and a lot of people agreed with me. go and have a look at the
    comment.
    Poot1 year ago
    If you look at the physiques of tribespeople in places like the Amazon, you'll see they have bodies very similar to the woman. Humans are supposed to be svelte and thin. If we ate a natural diet - fruit, berries, seeds fish and small amounts of meat, that is how a human would (and should) look.
    BTW I like the part where they swop meals ha ha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIOoynLmw8
    Last edited by prosaver; 24-04-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 24th Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    heres a good one, her omelet looks ok, nought wrong with that for her size.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BUzYNJzzMo
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 25th Apr 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    Malthusian
    If you look at the physiques of tribespeople in places like the Amazon, you'll see they have bodies very similar to the woman.
    You'll also see a lot of stunted growth, warts from vitamin deficiency, rickets, pockmarks and all the other signs of malnutrition that modern civilisation left behind centuries ago. The idea that the physical ideal is that of a pre-civilisation hunter-gatherer is nonsense. There is a reason the Olympics and other elite sport aren't dominated by Brazilian and Guinean teams recruited from the rainforest. The physical human ideal has moved on in the past couple of millennia.

Each to their own but the skinny girl looks like she would blow away in a slight breeze.
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 25th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 10,233 Posts
    • 16,991 Thanks
    margaretclare
    You'll also see a lot of stunted growth, warts from vitamin deficiency, rickets, pockmarks and all the other signs of malnutrition that modern civilisation left behind centuries ago. The idea that the physical ideal is that of a pre-civilisation hunter-gatherer is nonsense. There is a reason the Olympics and other elite sport aren't dominated by Brazilian and Guinean teams recruited from the rainforest. The physical human ideal has moved on in the past couple of millennia.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    This is the idea put forward by the author of 'Sapiens', an overview of human history. He thinks that the 'Agricultural Revolution' was a disaster for the human race. Instead of all that healthy running after game or from predators and rival tribes, climbing after fruit etc, we were condemned to a lot of back strain, bending in the hot sun, and eating a limited range of cereals which are not as varied nutritionally as fruit, berries, fresh meat etc.
    Ćr ic wisdom funde, ćr wearđ ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Apr 17, 10:45 AM
    • 12,292 Posts
    • 16,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    This is the idea put forward by the author of 'Sapiens', an overview of human history. He thinks that the 'Agricultural Revolution' was a disaster for the human race. Instead of all that healthy running after game or from predators and rival tribes, climbing after fruit etc, we were condemned to a lot of back strain, bending in the hot sun, and eating a limited range of cereals which are not as varied nutritionally as fruit, berries, fresh meat etc.
    Originally posted by margaretclare
    Did wonders for our life expectancy though.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 25th Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 25,047 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I never understand it when people trot out the "well, cave people did it..." argument for a diet.
    What fun they had, wearing animal skins and dying at 30.
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 25th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    • 10,233 Posts
    • 16,991 Thanks
    margaretclare
    I should have said, the author is not exactly scientifically impartial in many of his views. Check him out. He's called Yuval Noah Harari. Second book is called 'Homo Deus'. First book was about our past, second is about our future, as he sees it.
    Ćr ic wisdom funde, ćr wearđ ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 25th Apr 17, 8:09 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I have come to think I must truly be addicted to sugar. I'm always hungry and always want carbs or sweet things. I think that's why I find it hard to stick to any sort of plan. I get so hot and shaky and break out in a sweat. I feel really terrible. Today I feel frustrated again because by 10am I'd already eaten my lunch and by 12 was eating again. I can't go more than 2 hours without feeling dreadful. So frustrating!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,737Users online

Martin's Twitter