Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,076Posts
    • 1,097Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Weight getting me down
    • 15th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    Weight getting me down 15th Apr 17 at 4:34 PM
    I decided to post on this board rather than health and fitness because my issue is that my weight is now impacting on my family relationships.
    As a child,teenager and young adult I was slim. However at around 27/28 I started putting on weight. I'm now 5 stone heavier than when I met my husband. I always thought I'd deal with it at some point but just never had the drive. I'm not even sure why I gained the weight.
    However I now feel quite down because of the way my mum looks at me and constantly tells me its bad for my health, I need to lose weight, I should eat less etc. I know she is right but feeling that my mum is embarrassed / disappointed in me, really hurts. The photo of me at my parents house is 14 years old. I'm sure its because they are embarrassed to display a recent 'fat' photo.
    I've tried slimming world / NHS plan but my problem is sticking to it. I don't seem to have the willpower. I'm now worried about getting unwell and these years of comments have really knocked my confidence. I feel ugly and as though I haven't achieved anything.
    Has anyone tried counseling? Could my gp help or do I just need to man up?!
Page 7
    • Helentiful
    • By Helentiful 18th Apr 17, 8:49 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Helentiful
    You actually need to want to lose weight. There's no quick fix and perhaps there is some underlying problem. I personally think your first port of call is the doctor. They could refer you for counselling or they could refer you to a dietician. I really think you ought to talk to someone ... other than your parents because I sadly see them as one of your problems. I lost 4 stone a few years back and it only happened because I wanted it to and I was ready - I didn't join a club, I was just in that mindset, which is where you need to be. Good Luck. I'm on your side x
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 16,689 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    well they say that dairy product have high calcium and this makes you not absorb the fat in dairy. goes out the other end,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/slim/calcium.shtml

so the calories in diary must be wrong as it was only discovered lately.
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Not really. The calories are still there.

There are a hell of a lot of calories in a gallon of petrol. You won't get fat by drinking too much (or any) of it though.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 18th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 7,570 Posts
    • 16,677 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    MU, I'm another one who put weight ON when I tried SW! Ha ha!

I am gonna stick my neck on the line here and say I also abhor any form of "diet club". I have one friend who's done SW for 6 months and is thoroughly depressed because she's lost less than half a stone, and one who has lost 3st on SW and is at target, but every time she goes on holiday she binges then cries at her first session back, and practically starves herself until that weight's back off.

What kind of mentalities are those? I'm a size 16ish, and 15st (yea, pretty heavy, I know) but I like real food, I like to run and weightlift, and I'm OK with that.

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    MU, I'm another one who put weight ON when I tried SW! Ha ha!

I am gonna stick my neck on the line here and say I also abhor any form of "diet club". I have one friend who's done SW for 6 months and is thoroughly depressed because she's lost less than half a stone, and one who has lost 3st on SW and is at target, but every time she goes on holiday she binges then cries at her first session back, and practically starves herself until that weight's back off.

What kind of mentalities are those? I'm a size 16ish, and 15st (yea, pretty heavy, I know) but I like real food, I like to run and weightlift, and I'm OK with that.

HBS x
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    Exactly this! I know there are people this won't apply to (most of them seem to be on this thread), but this is the normality of slimming clubs, with the MAJORITY of the members feeling this way. It's about time they were recognised for being the danger that they are.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 18th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    the creeping death of confessions about Jaffa cakes and wine as you go round the room.... *shudder*

I wouldn't mind if they were educational instead of some kind of group therapy administered by someone unqualified.
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 grocery challenge £53.32/£100
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    the creeping death of confessions about Jaffa cakes and wine as you go round the room.... *shudder*

I wouldn't mind if they were educational instead of some kind of group therapy administered by someone unqualified.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    And don't forget the talk of bowel habits!!

I was a consultant for SW, as I have mentioned, and I had NO nutritional training whatsoever. The training I had was learning about the plan, how to get bums on seats, and how to set the room up.

I just wish I hadn't wasted 2 decades and an ED believing it was healthy!
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 18th Apr 17, 3:27 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 30,776 Thanks
    Flick216
    https://www.facebook.com/WeAreRebelfit/

I am following this FB page at the moment - it's pretty brilliant!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    https://www.facebook.com/WeAreRebelfit/

I am following this FB page at the moment - it's pretty brilliant!
    Originally posted by Flick216
    I have been following Rebelfit for years and he is amazing! Gets loads of stick but speaks the truth.
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 18th Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 30,776 Thanks
    Flick216
    I have been following Rebelfit for years and he is amazing! Gets loads of stick but speaks the truth.
    Originally posted by Anoneemoose
    It's like a revelation! I signed up for the Bronze thing!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    It's like a revelation! I signed up for the Bronze thing!
    Originally posted by Flick216
    Ooh, fab. The only reason I didn't was because it is pretty much what I am dealing with as part of the ED. The principles are much the same though. I have done a couple of missions previously, but they didn't 'work' for me - only due to my illnesses, not the missions themselves.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 18th Apr 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    A few of you have mentioned the 5 / 2 diet so might give that a go. Messedup 10 stone that's amazing! Shows it can be done!
    I'm thinking of going to the gp also because I've started noticing a lot of facial hair. Can't deny that's getting me down as much as the weight! I wonder if the 2 things are connected and although I know my diet isn't great I do want to rule out any medical issues.
    I'm also making a point to drink more water as that's really helped in the past. Thanks again everyone for the support.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 9,312 Posts
    • 11,753 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Messedup 10 stone that's amazing! Shows it can be done!
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway

I think they've still got to lose it, not sure they have yet...

Been looking at the 5:2 today too. I wish someone could just do me a meal plan lol. So much easier! Found a list of nice recipes for under 250 cals, but it didn't say exactly how many so no idea what else I could eat that day... I go a bit number blind when it comes to diets!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    A few of you have mentioned the 5 / 2 diet so might give that a go. Messedup 10 stone that's amazing! Shows it can be done!
    I'm thinking of going to the gp also because I've started noticing a lot of facial hair. Can't deny that's getting me down as much as the weight! I wonder if the 2 things are connected and although I know my diet isn't great I do want to rule out any medical issues.
    I'm also making a point to drink more water as that's really helped in the past. Thanks again everyone for the support.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Hair is usually associated with hormones..I have excess hair and I have PCOS. PCOS can of course make it difficult to lose/easy to gain weight as well.

Obviously I am not saying you definitely have PCOS, but going to see your GP will be a great start.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Apr 17, 6:08 PM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 16,689 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I think they've still got to lose it, not sure they have yet...

Been looking at the 5:2 today too. I wish someone could just do me a meal plan lol. So much easier! Found a list of nice recipes for under 250 cals, but it didn't say exactly how many so no idea what else I could eat that day... I go a bit number blind when it comes to diets!

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    The exact calorie count isn't critical. On fast days you just need to eat substantially less than you normally do and make sure that you don't compensate by eating more on the non-fast days.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Apr 17, 6:27 PM
    • 17,337 Posts
    • 44,146 Thanks
    Pollycat

Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    And don't forget the talk of bowel habits!!

I was a consultant for SW, as I have mentioned, and I had NO nutritional training whatsoever. The training I had was learning about the plan, how to get bums on seats, and how to set the room up.

I just wish I hadn't wasted 2 decades and an ED believing it was healthy!
    Lordy! Lordy!
    How glad am I that I had the willpower to follow the SW 'cult' through a friend's books rather than attending classes.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 8,776 Posts
    • 12,749 Thanks
    meer53
    Exactly this! I know there are people this won't apply to (most of them seem to be on this thread), but this is the normality of slimming clubs, with the MAJORITY of the members feeling this way. It's about time they were recognised for being the danger that they are.
    A tad OTT i feel. I dont think the majority of SW members feel this way. Why not agree that some diets work for some people and some dont ? It's getting a bit boring now.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    A tad OTT i feel. I dont think the majority of SW members feel this way. Why not agree that some diets work for some people and some dont ? It's getting a bit boring now.
    Originally posted by meer53
    Well stop reading and commenting then.

How do you know they don't?

I agree that it is entirely up to an individual what they want to do.

I don't agree that diets work. In 95% of cases they don't.

Or, if you want me to agree with you, yes, they do work (long term) - in 5% of cases.

Edited to add - As I have said previously, I am not in any way belittling any individual who follows a diet plan.
    Last edited by Anoneemoose; 18-04-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 18th Apr 17, 10:37 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Rebelfit was mentioned earlier on in the thread..and this is an example of just one of the many messages they have had.

Some Of The Great Ways To Become A Rebel!

We've had a message sent to us privately...

"Hi i have been following you for a while and as much as it pains me to admit it you are 100% right..i have been following sw for the past 9 years, started off at 11st odd, lost a bit of weight, put it back on blah blah.. i have joined and rejoined hundreds of times and thats not an exaggeration, i feel that i cant lose weight wit anythin other than SW i am totally obssesed with food and im constantly thinkin about it.. i have a bad meal or bad day and i think screw this and go on a binge with the vision of oh il start fresh tomorrow.. tomorrow never comes.. right now i weigh 14st 10, over 3st heavier than when i ever joined SW.. my most recent rejoin being last week����please help.. how can i break this horrible cycle!! F**k u slimming world����"

Hi there

I wish I wasn't 100% right. I wish I was making everything up about slimming clubs for my own personal gain. I wish I was wrong!

Sadly I'm not.

Your story is the shocking truth about this company. The same story I've heard 1000s of times before and one that disgusts me when you consider our taxes are paying for people to be made more addicted to food and more obese longer term.

Here's why you need to do...

REBEL ��

That simply means making the decision to stop dieting, ditch the slimming clubs, and discover fitness!

There are 100s of ways you can do this. There are 100s of great personal trainers out there who will show you the right direction. You can find one in your local area, at your local gym, or you can follow them online.

Here are some of my favourites, so go to their pages and like, follow and learn from them! They all have their own unique approaches, so find the one that appeals best to you!

Ben Coomber.

https://www.facebook.com/theofficialbencoomberpage/

CrossFit.

https://www.facebook.com/crossfit/

Girls Gone Strong.

https://www.facebook.com/GirlsGoneStrong/

James Smith.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesSmithTraining/

Jennifer Bulcock.

https://www.facebook.com/Jenbul13/

Jill Coleman.

https://www.facebook.com/JillFit/

Joe Wicks.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeWicksTheBodyCoach/

Phil Learney.

https://www.facebook.com/PhilLearney/

Rachel Guy.

https://www.facebook.com/RachelGuyFITPRO/

Richie Howie.

https://www.facebook.com/richie.howey

Good luck on your new journey!!

Let us know how it goes

Liam

THIS is the effect diet clubs have on people.

In fact, here is a link to the actual post and you will see the responses speak for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreRebelfit/posts/1027392220729100
    Last edited by Anoneemoose; 18-04-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th Apr 17, 11:00 PM
    • 13,305 Posts
    • 25,343 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    A medium egg is about 65 kcal. So do scrambled eggs using two eggs (whisk up then 2 mins in the microwave) and serve with something like seeded crackers or Ryvita. Decent breakfast or lunch for less than 250 kcal.

Also, porridge is great. Half a cup of oats, a cup of skimmed milk and a teaspoon of honey is about 250 kcal. Again, microwave for 2 minutes.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 19th Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 7,570 Posts
    • 16,677 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Eggs are one of my favourite things

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

3,225Users online

Martin's Twitter