Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 15th Apr 17, 12:28 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 45Thanks
    sortofwinning
    Can't move apps to SD card
    • 15th Apr 17, 12:28 PM
    Can't move apps to SD card 15th Apr 17 at 12:28 PM
    Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy Trend 2 Lite which I admit is a good few years old - maybe 4?

Recently I bought a memory card as I was trying to download Soundhound and got told there wasn't enough memory. So I installed the card, checked in Settings, Storage, and the card shows up in there as SD card Total space 58.21GB and available space 58.21GB, but I can't get any apps to move to the damn card. If I go into Application Manager, and tap on an app, the "Move to SD card" is always greyed out ie unselectable. This is happening no matter what app I select - eg Google Play books, WhatsApp and YouTube.

I bought the card specifically for apps, and now I can't download any apps because I'm getting the message "No room", but I can't move any apps to the card to make room because the move button is always greyed out. I don't have loads of photos and videos and documents. In fact, all I've really got stored on my phone are about 12 photos and quite a lot of text messages. Otherwise I would try moving those to the card to free up space on the phone.

Is there anything I can do about this? I feel like I've wasted my money on the card. I didn't buy it to store loads of photos and videos, I'm not a photo and video person. I specifically bought it to give me more room for apps and now I can't get any on to it.

Thanks for any help.
Page 1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th Apr 17, 12:31 PM
    • 22,494 Posts
    • 56,056 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 15th Apr 17, 12:31 PM
    • 15th Apr 17, 12:31 PM
    Android went through a phase of not allowing movement of apps to SD card - you say this is a couple of years old, so it's possible your phone falls into that era.

Suggest you google search for your version of Android and "apps to SD" to see whether the Android forums have appropriate discussions/tips.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 17th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    sortofwinning
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    Many thanks Tigsteroonie, I will give that a shot.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    • 7,016 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    almillar
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    Just as a test - Angry Birds is an app that I've been able to move to SD card - download that, and see if the option is greyed out there. App developers get to decide whether to allow them to go onto a card, and Google in general (covering the Play Store and Youtube that you mention) don't allow it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,418Posts Today

7,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin