Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 14th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 267Posts
    • 52Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    Which Would You Prefer....House or City Cent
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    Which Would You Prefer....House or City Cent 14th Apr 17 at 9:32 PM
    Curious to thoughts on this....

What would you prefer and why?

Two Bed City Cent Apartment or Two Bed House in a Nice Village/Area.

Pros and Cons?
    Savings £10000
Page 1
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 14th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    For me personally, I prefer a quieter village/town. I really dislike cities, much too busy for me.
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 14th Apr 17, 9:53 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    amateur house
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:53 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:53 PM
    House in quiet village. I hate noise and crowds of a city centre.
    • justme111
    • By justme111 14th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    justme111
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    They both have pros and cons . I would go for a house. Reasons being I do not like the idea of leasehold property and communal areas and charges I have no control over. I like to have a garden for bbqs, trampolines, voleyball, washing line and pets.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    Detached house. Nothing else for me from now on. Neighbours are the biggest bane in many people's lives and if they're not living under the same roof then things are far easier.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 55,945 Posts
    • 49,310 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    Place of work, age, single etc, travel would all be factors in any decision. Sometimes needs must. Life changes.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    Depends how far the village house would be from the city centre if work was in the centre.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 14th Apr 17, 11:19 PM
    • 4,114 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:19 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 11:19 PM
    I have taken this decision and opted for the city centre. I have lived in other places and hated them and am finding I am becoming even more of a city girl as I get older! I am happy to put up with the downsides of city life. I love the craziness of city life and love having theatres, galleries etc within walking distance.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    • 13,977 Posts
    • 37,963 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 15th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    • 15th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    That depends on personal factors to some extent. It tends to be harder to live outside a city centre if one doesnt have a car and the public transport is poor (but you do build up a good relationship with the local taxi firm).

It does help to have a lot of facilities readily to hand.

The downside is the pollution and noise a city centre has and, in this day and age, that's the type of area "at risk" from terrorist incidents.

I refused to have a flat even for my "starter home" - didnt want leasehold/didnt want neighbours above or below me/certainly wouldnt want all the service charges etc flats tend to have.

The type of household one is in also comes into this - city centres are easier for single people and rural areas do tend to be more "family-oriented" imo (good news for families and not good news for single people).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 15-04-2017 at 7:22 AM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 15th Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    Thanks, defo pros and cons to both
    Savings £10000
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 15th Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 3,069 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Detached house. Nothing else for me from now on. Neighbours are the biggest bane in many people's lives and if they're not living under the same roof then things are far easier.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    While I don't disagree with the sentiment, there's detached and there's detached. I don't believe that having a six inch gap between your wall and your neighbour's wall in any way prevents such problems arising.
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 17th Apr 17, 7:08 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    good responses....thanks for the info
    Savings £10000
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 18th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    If you're a young ftb and you can afford it, my advice would be to buy in the city centre. Then once you settle down, have children etc then life changes and you might want to be in a less urban area.

I am basing this on London as that's my region. I wish I'd bought in London when I was young as I've seen people own flats for 5 or maybe 10 years make hundreds of thousands on them, then move out to houses in Surrey virtually mortgage free. I've made money in the suburbs but nothing like in London where prices have just seemed to rocket exponentially.
    Eg I know someone who bought a property in 2002 for £250k in east London and it's now worth over £1m. The house I spent the same on in Surrey at the time is now worth £450k.

Of course the investment factor may not be the same in other cities!!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 18th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Why are the only options at such opposite ends of the scale?

I don't know where in the country you are, but neither option will be cheap - best part of a hundred thousands pounds at the least. That's a lot of money to spend on something you're so fundamentally uncertain about.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 18th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 3,381 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Until 4 years ago I would have said house in quiet village every time. But we needed to move, and the perfect house came up at the right price - the only down side was that it was on a main road close to the centre of town. That was the compromise that I had to make in order to get this house, which in all other respects was perfect.

Now?? I love that I can walk into town (supermarket, post office, hairdressers, doctors, dentist, physio, pubs, tea rooms etc etc), I love that our house is easy to find (no more cold takeaways), there are people passing all the time and they stop for a chat if I'm working in the garden, there's a bus stop just outside if ever we had a problem with the car. I love it!!

So if the only choices were city centre apartment or house in a village, I would go for the apartment. Never thought I would say that.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Apr 17, 3:25 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Ours is an in between.

We are in a semi on what was once a village, long absorbed into the town and city, but we have large gardens , yet are five minutes drive from supermarkets and a small town centre.

We are on a quiet estate, where most owners are over 50 with a few 'children' still at home . I only know of two 'real' children; a lovely little brother and sister, who live in the next street.

Next door has been bought and is being renovated by a builder, who intends to sell on , so I am worried about who will move in . Hopefully, anyone with lots of children and wanting a lively lifestyle will be put off by all us oldies.
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 18th Apr 17, 3:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    HOUSE!! any where.. I don't find its worth getting into the hassle of "leasehold" properties!
    • Minkybob
    • By Minkybob 18th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Minkybob
    Another vote for the in between from me, I grew up in the country and frankly can't think of anything worse

Really the two main factors are my wariness of leasehold and the fact neither myself or my OH can drive. So I get the garden and a short train ride to the city.
    "Meow meow meow? Meow meow-meow meow!" - Minkybob
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 18th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    I grew up in the country, and lived in inner city areas when at uni. I hated it - I felt claustrophobic and that I had no space to speak of.

Now, I live in suburbia, a quiet road, albeit just off one of the main arterial roads into Manchester, 10 mins walk from a supermarket (Waitrose) with 2 other supermarkets within a 5 min drive, bus stops on the main road if something's up with the car, but around a mile from the open fields and countryside of the National Trust's Dunham Estate. To me, its ideal - all the conveniences of urban life, but without feeling stifled and claustrophobic.
    • johnD17
    • By johnD17 18th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johnD17
    Own my own flat in Manchester next to work. Been here 3 years. I would never want to leave, but noise is my main factor and longer term kids / quiet is the driver for me looking around at houses.

It's all about the building for me and neighbours. You can't control neighbours anywhere and is my big worry in looking at neighbourhoods and the potential cost of a detached.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,927Users online

Martin's Twitter