Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ph89
    • By Ph89 14th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ph89
    Default on credit file
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:16 PM
    Default on credit file 14th Apr 17 at 9:16 PM
    I started a debt consolidation plan at the beginning of 2012. I finally paid off the amount in 2016.

However recently I have been denied a mortgage as a result of my credit report showing that my accounts with my creditors were in default from beginning of 2014 and also that payments were being payed late, even though I payed the same amount every month and never missed a payment to the company I left in charge of paying my creditors.

I have spoken to my creditors briefly over the phone today who have advised me to go to their local branch as to discuss this issue with them, and all being well they well contact the credit bearu and have this default wiped from my file as I was making the payments on time and shoukd be no reason for my payments to them being late.

Should I take any proof I.e bank statements showing that I payed this amount to my consolidation loan with me when I speak to my creditors??
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Apr 17, 9:19 PM
    • 11,603 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:19 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:19 PM
    I would be surprised if they will change anything. Keeping up with a DMP doesn't change the fact that the accounts were in default.

However, the original default should obviously be closer to 2012 and therefore only be a year or so from removal.
    • Ph89
    • By Ph89 14th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ph89
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    I would be surprised if they will change anything. Keeping up with a DMP doesn't change the fact that the accounts were in default.

However, the original default should obviously be closer to 2012 and therefore only be a year or so from removal.
    Originally posted by zx81
    I had three accounts with the creditor and one of them the payments were made no problem however the other two accounts were always being paid late which is the main issue and didn't default until April of 2014.

I will go and see what they have to say about it anyway
    • cj1974cr
    • By cj1974cr 16th Apr 17, 12:15 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    cj1974cr
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:15 AM
    • 16th Apr 17, 12:15 AM
    The issue is , you enter into a debt manamgent plan (made an arrangement to repay) a different amount to what was originally agreed, even If they agreed this.

This would have impact on your credit history, the only get out possibly - did any of the letters sent about your arrangement warn you about any impact on your Credit Histoty - if it doesn't there is an argument to have this data corrected, and most lenders record calls so if wasn't discussed, you could ask for ARREARS and Deafult data to be removed
    Last edited by cj1974cr; 16-04-2017 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Error
    • Ph89
    • By Ph89 18th Apr 17, 12:49 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ph89
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:49 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:49 AM
    I was advised it would affect it negatively as it was a DMP but also told it would show a positive aslong as I kept up with my payments, which I did and there is no mention of.this on my file.

I don't have any paperwork regarding this as it was lost in moving home but I remember the phonecall with the advisor which has me wondering.

Also confused by the fact I was paying off 3 accounts and it is only 2 of them which have defaulted and the other one shows payments made on time and upto date
    • Ph89
    • By Ph89 18th Apr 17, 12:50 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ph89
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:50 AM
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:50 AM
    Also I was paying off another creditor separate to these 3 accounts through my DMP and that never defaulted either.
    • Ph89
    • By Ph89 19th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ph89
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    Thread update
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    After speaking to my creditors today they have agreed to remove the default from credit file
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 19th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    • 53,420 Posts
    • 46,038 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    After speaking to my creditors today they have agreed to remove the default from credit file
    Originally posted by Ph89
    What about the monthly markers ?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 20th Apr 17, 8:01 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:01 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:01 AM
    What about the monthly markers ?
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Watch them change it to AR markers, which will mean the OP will have a bad credit history for 6 years after the debt is settled, a worse outcome than backdating the defaults.

I hope that wont be the case but unless if the debts were wiped completely, something nasty is likely to remain.
    • Ph89
    • By Ph89 20th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ph89
    The markers will change to AR as I was on a DMP, the debt was cleared 2 years ago
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 21st Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    StopIt
    The markers will change to AR as I was on a DMP, the debt was cleared 2 years ago
    Originally posted by Ph89

Oh god.

You would have been better off asking for the defaults to be backdated, alas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,505Posts Today

6,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin