Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Apr 17, 7:10 PM
    • 8,009Posts
    • 4,770Thanks
    teddysmum
    TSB's contactless card offer
    • 14th Apr 17, 7:10 PM
    TSB's contactless card offer 14th Apr 17 at 7:10 PM
    I'm beginning to doubt that TSB are being honest about their contactless card cashback.

I used three cards for the 5% on up to £100 spends , with no trouble, until Christmas, since when I have had frequent requests for the PIN, meaning no cashback.

They say they have no control over the random requests for a PIN, as it's a security measure, but the chances of all three cards, often, and two cards , fairly often, needing PINs at the same time, makes me very suspicious.

One of the lady's on our Tesco self service section said that she thought contactless sometimes gets switched off, but that couldn't be the case today, as after refusing to let me use three TSB cards without PIN , it accepted my Co-op card. 5p cashback instead of 30p ,is no big loss, but I'm so glad I decided not to do my big shop, for which I would have spent over £30 (topping up with cash) and lost £1.50.

Should the Co-op,which has been our main bank for years, go, I don't think TSB will be our choice, as we'd once thought.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 14-04-2017 at 7:13 PM.
Page 2
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 17th Apr 17, 8:48 AM
    • 7,360 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    Biggles
    In the years I have had contactless with TSB, I cannot remember ever being asked to enter a pincode!
    Originally posted by glosoli
    Ah, but were you getting the 5% cashback each month?
    • Jeems
    • By Jeems 17th Apr 17, 9:34 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Jeems
    I used the offer on multiple cards last year until the offer ended for me. I found that after around every £50-£60 of contactless spend, I'd get a pin request. I'd circumvent that by taking a tenner out of a cash point once I'd get to that level of spend. No problems with this method at all. I didn't find checking the balance to work for me.

The pin request is security feature like all cards have, or someone could nick yours and go around tapping for eternity.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 17th Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    TheShape
    I'm still in the cashback offer period and get a PIN request perhaps every 15-20 transactions. Transactions from £1 to £30 appear to be treated equally. I have no reason to believe TSB are restricting the ability to earn cashback.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I used the offer on multiple cards last year until the offer ended for me. I found that after around every £50-£60 of contactless spend, I'd get a pin request. I'd circumvent that by taking a tenner out of a cash point once I'd get to that level of spend. No problems with this method at all. I didn't find checking the balance to work for me.

The pin request is security feature like all cards have, or someone could nick yours and go around tapping for eternity.
    Originally posted by Jeems

The reason for requests is obvious and desirable, but three requests from three cards at the same time, on a number of occasions is not something to endear one to the system (when credit is lost). I had only one request from June, when the account was opened until the end of the year, but now am surprised to get the transaction accepted (also, agree that the size of transaction has no effect)

A CS person did tell me that, if contactless is used more than 5 times in one day, the system does request a PIN, which seems very sensible, as this would be the behaviour of someone 'finding' a card.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 17-04-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 17th Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    Although I find it hard to believe TSB is doing something nefarious, I can't help but notice how much less frequently my TSB card asks for a PIN since my contactless cashback offer expired. I'm certainly not doing anything differently.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    It's like this for me......

Halifax - no problem, never asked
    Santander - no problem, never asked
    Nationwide - no problem, never asked.

TSB - frequently asked.

TSB is the only one offering contactless cashback so go figure.

That applies for both of mine & the 2 accounts my wife has.

Coincidence? Some will say so but i think not.

• glosoli
    • By glosoli 17th Apr 17, 9:26 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    glosoli
    Just checked, was getting it until January, never realised haven't been receiving it since then.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 18th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    I think it's fairly obvious the frequent PIN checks and the cashback offer are connected.

I realise it's for security, but *good* security should surely be effective without being intrusive i.e. the very opposite of these PIN checks. I know it only takes a few seconds to enter the PIN but that doesn't stop it being very annoying when you wanted to make a contactless transaction.

This intrusive and clunky security exercise has put me off TSB as a whole, to be honest, and I've gone from wondering if I should make it my primary bank account to wondering if I should close the account.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Apr 17, 9:40 AM
    • 16,728 Posts
    • 10,965 Thanks
    molerat
    It is noticeable how few times I have to input my TSB credit card PIN compared to the debit card when I was getting cashback.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    teddysmum
    So it does appear to be a general upping of 'security' , perhaps to save paying cashback.

We are considering possible main accounts, should the Co-op go and this has taken TSB from our list.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 18th Apr 17, 8:42 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    So it does appear to be a general upping of 'security' ,
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Methinks a 'general upping of security' is probably a good thing!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 19th Apr 17, 8:52 AM
    • 7,360 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    Biggles
    Methinks a 'general upping of security' is probably a good thing!
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    But only for those rascally customers who a) have a debit card and b) are claiming £5 cashback each month and not for those nice, trustworthy credit card customers....
    ;-)
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 22nd Apr 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    EachPenny
    It is unscientific, but I am sure that my two TSB cards are less fussy now my 5% cashback has come to an end. I'm using the cards less, but have not had a single request to put in a PIN in the last 7 months or so. During the cashback period I was being allowed no more than 10 transactions in total, or about a week, between PIN requests.

My strategy was if one card asked for a PIN then I'd say I wanted to use another card. If the second TSB card did the same then I'd ask to use my cashback credit card.

On a few occasions I was challenged and told I HAD to use my PIN on that card, once under threat of 'security' being called if I didn't. I responded to that by asking for the entire load of shopping to be cancelled, paid for the cheapest item by PIN, then got them to put the rest of the shopping through again for a contactless payment. I had the time to argue and complain if need be

I wouldn't claim TSB are doing anything deliberately, it might just be that a higher level of checking is done when the card is newer and once a spending pattern has been identified the checks are less frequent. But still, seeing 5% cashback opportunities missed was not something I was happy putting up with.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Apr 17, 4:13 PM
    • 9,573 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I used the contactless cashback last year, then closed and reapplied for an account to get a switching bonus and then qualified for the extended contactless cash back on the new account this year.

I've had occasional requests for pins when using contactless, and will occasionally use an ATM for cash. I'd estimate that pin requests are less than 1 in 6 contactless transactions, and when it does occur I'll generally use another card unless the amount is very low.

My total transactions on that account won't be a lot more than £100 a month on cards, so primarily for cashback, so would be a prime candidate for contactless refusal.

For many it could be confirmation bias when refused, it's not my experience.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 22nd Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    EachPenny
    For many it could be confirmation bias when refused
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Yes, there's a good chance that's the case.

Going back to my point that I wouldn't claim TSB are doing anything deliberately there are other possibilities why this 'effect' appears to be happening. For example spending close to but not exceeding £30 on multiple transactions over a short period of time mimics the behaviour of someone who has stolen a card and is trying to gain the maximum value before the card is stopped.

The objectives of the thief and the 5% cashback hunter are the same: get as many transactions as close to £30 as you can, avoiding the need to enter a PIN, cancel the transaction if a PIN is asked for (optional for the cashback hunter!).

My weekly main supermarket shop of around £80 usually got split into three lots. One lot scanned with a self-scanner (mainly low value items), one pile of higher-value items in the trolley, and the rest. Each lot being under £30 and items being moved around just before the checkout if necessary. That resulted in three near-£30 contactless purchases within the space of a couple of minutes, at least 2 on the same card. I can see how that might trigger a red flag somewhere! Likewise with a purchase of exactly £30 of fuel.

Maybe the security system isn't smart enough to spot the difference between stolen card activity and maximising cashback activity
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 30th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    teddysmum
    What a surprise : All three cards asked for PINs today, but then the Co-op card was used contactless with no problem, so it wasn't an Aldi related problem.

I'm going to limit my contactless to Tesco, on weekdays and use self -service, so if all cards are playing up, I will dump the sale, without having wasted a checkout person's time.

I notice that there has been no TSB denials, of our suspicions, posted.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 30-04-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It's happened again, all 3 cards requesting a PIN. The spend was only just over £7 and there's no problem with Tesco's machine as Co-op contactless worked fine.

Someone above said they closed the account and reapplied to extend th contactless offer,so I was tempted to close and reopen for the new £% for just having two direct debits, but the T&Cs don't allow the offer if you have had thee account before.

At least with the new offer you get your £5 . With this one it could be embarrassing having to try 4 cards (ie 3 fails ) as people could think your cards are all maxed, if I hadn't been shopping at less busy times.

It's tempting to complain to the CEO , but they may close the accounts,meaning missing the 3% interest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,276Posts Today

9,116Users online

Martin's Twitter