Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 14th Apr 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,708Posts
    • 700Thanks
    littlewren
    Help please re SIM only deals
    • 14th Apr 17, 4:58 PM
    Help please re SIM only deals 14th Apr 17 at 4:58 PM
    I've been with EE on contract for my mobile for 4 years in a week's time and for financial reasons I need to change to a SIM only deal and keep my current phone.

I would like to either be with EE, Virgin Mobile or O2. Looking at EE's website just now, their 2GB SIM only deal is £16.19, yet the 2GB SIM deal with Virgin Mobile is £9. I haven't checked O2 yet as I believe they will be expensive. EE offers unlimited minutes but I don't need this.

Am I missing something? Why is Virgin Mobile's deal so much cheaper? I should say that I don't know anything about SIM only deals

Also, what are the negatives of having a SIM only monthly deal?

Could someone possibly help please?

TIA

As a P.S. I need to cancel my contract with EE but I can't ring them at the moment as I have bad laryngitis and therefore can't speak on the phone, which is a nuisance.
    Last edited by littlewren; 14-04-2017 at 5:06 PM.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Page 3
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    EE will negotiate. I've been on sim-only for a long time and buy my phones outright sim-free. There are no drawbacks I can see and it works out cheaper than a contract phone. I phone once a year when the 12 months is almost up and get a deal which is less than the advertised price.

EE network is much faster with better coverage than Vodafone where I use it, so I would be loathe to leave them.
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    That's how I feel, they are pretty reliable aren't they.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Apr 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    I transfered to EE from T mobile, I got a sim only unlimited text and calls with 2 GB, £10.
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    That would do me fine if they would agree to that, 2GB is all I need too.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 19th Apr 17, 3:54 PM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Plusnet (which runs on EE) are currently offering 5g, 500 minutes and unlimied texts for £10, if that's any good to you?

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 19th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Stop posting on here and try ringing them up ?

Dial 150 from your mobile.

Remember I wish to leave and have my PAC code please as I can get a deal with xx for £.

pause......
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 20th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    Plusnet (which runs on EE) are currently offering 5g, 500 minutes and unlimied texts for £10, if that's any good to you?

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/
    Originally posted by Jon 01
    Thank you, my friend was with PlusNet and wasn't very happy with them, so I'd be a bit wary.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 20th Apr 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    Stop posting on here and try ringing them up ?

Dial 150 from your mobile.

Remember I wish to leave and have my PAC code please as I can get a deal with xx for £.

pause......
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    I have another problem now, which means I can't ring them yet, grrr. I have Meniere's Disease and bad tinnitus at the moment so I'm staying off the phone for a few days, which is a nuisance as I want to get this sorted out.

I will say what you suggest tho, many thanks
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 21st Apr 17, 10:43 AM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Thank you, my friend was with PlusNet and wasn't very happy with them, so I'd be a bit wary.
    Originally posted by littlewren
    I'd heard they were a 'bit iffy' when they started up, but by all accounts they're much better now?

Anyway, that deal has ended now, but a new one started today with the same data (5g) and unlimited text but now with 1500 minutes!!!

I've been with EE forever, I used to work for them, but they offer nothing to stay and the Plusnet deal is better than anything they've offered me by miles. So I might just jump ship...

And it's a 30 day rolling contact, so even if they're terrible I can be gone inside a month. . .
    Last edited by Jon 01; 21-04-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: edit
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Apr 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Plusnet are hopeless when it comes to EU roaming, should change in June though. Their max data allowance is quite low too.

Their only good feature is the spending cap.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 21st Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Plusnet are hopeless when it comes to EU roaming, should change in June though. Their max data allowance is quite low too.

Their only good feature is the spending cap.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    From my point of view EU roaming isn't an issue. I don't travel in the EU, only to the USA where I have a 3 payg that works every time

My only concern about leaving EE would be Plusnet's CS? As they run on EE the coverage is going be the same, but am I right in thinking that they have improved now they've been running a while??
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 21st Apr 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I've been with EE forever, I used to work for them, but they offer nothing to stay and the Plusnet deal is better than anything they've offered me by miles. So I might just jump ship...

And it's a 30 day rolling contact, so even if they're terrible I can be gone inside a month. . .
    I would disagree.

1. It has been said on here EE will cut your prices if you say you will leave.

2. Most of the problems with plusnet mobile in the early days was port ing or loosing the number. So saying you can leave within 30 days doesn't help with that.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 21st Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Jon 01
    I would disagree.

1. It has been said on here EE will cut your prices if you say you will leave.

2. Most of the problems with plusnet mobile in the early days was port ing or loosing the number. So saying you can leave within 30 days doesn't help with that.
    Hey Andy,

I'd have agreed with you until last week.

I called and asked if they could match the Plusnet offer. They quoted £22 a month for less data!! Then came down to £15 for 3g and 500 minutes. So I asked for my pac and wanted for retentions to call. When they did, they offered the same deal! I said that no use and then it was, 'well you have have more data and minutes AND an iPhone 6s for £34 a month.' (which is 3 times what I pay now)
    I said I only wanted a sim only plan and she said I could give the iPhone to my wife??? Told her my wife had just bought an iPhone (which she really had).
    'Oh she could sell that one and have this one! At which point I give up. They appear to have lost the plot.

I can't ague point 2, losing the number would be a major pain. But it is an EE number, so I could get it back if I went back to EE (but it would mean trying to talk to someone that know what they were doing, which these days would be down to pure luck ).
    • d123
    • By d123 21st Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6,493 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    d123

I can't ague point 2, losing the number would be a major pain. But it is an EE number, so I could get it back if I went back to EE (but it would mean trying to talk to someone that know what they were doing, which these days would be down to pure luck ).
    Im pretty sure if you lose your number it goes into quarantine and couldn't be reissued for 6 months even to the person who lost it, so I'd think you're hoping for something that wouldn't be possible.

Remember, the number doesn't belong to you, the network is simply allowing you to use it.
    ====
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 26th Apr 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    Well I'm totally confused now lol

I got on to EE retentions as I'd spoken on chat with a girl who said she was going to ring me back but never did.

I asked for my PAC code and said I'd like to cancel my contract & therefore give them 30 days notice.

He said I can either request my PAC code or cancel, not both.

I'm a novice at this as I've had a contract for 4 years with EE, before that T-Mobile (so it just got switched to EE) and before that PAYG.

What I'd like to do is give them the 30 day notice they require and keep my options open. I definitely want a SIM only but I don't know whether I can get a better deal with EE than the one he offered - £21 per month for 3GB etc (I'm only paying £4 more than that and had a new Samsung Galaxy S5 at the beginning of the 2 years) - or whether to go perhaps with someone like Virgin, I have my broadband, TV & landline phone with them already. I would like to stay with either EE or go with Virgin I think.

The bloke I was speaking to today said that I'd get a better deal if I took a 12 month sim with them. When I said I wanted a 30 day rolling contract in case I have problems with my phone, he said I therefore wouldn't be entitled to any loyalty deals and kept trying to push the 12 month sim.

Arghhh, I don't want to lose my number but I do want to cancel the contract so I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Help again please
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 26th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Ask for your PAC then.

When you use this (with a new provider) it cancels your EE contract and moves the number over.

It sounds like you should prepare to go to virgin.
    No point staying with EE unless they are going to do a sensible deal, which it doesn't sound like they will anymore.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 26th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    Ask for your PAC then.

When you use this (with a new provider) it cancels your EE contract and moves the number over.

It sounds like you should prepare to go to virgin.
    No point staying with EE unless they are going to do a sensible deal, which it doesn't sound like they will anymore.
    If I just ask for my PAC code though, I will then have to wait another 30 days once I find a sim deal and then cancel, is that right?

Sorry to sound a bit dim, I'm finding this a bit confusing! lol
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 26th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    With SIM only, there are some offers around that sometimes only last a couple of weeks. As per other replies, once you see a deal that suits you ask for your PAC and use it with the new provider.

Check these points carefully before committing to a new contract:
    1. Coverage, at home, work, pubs, clubs etc. Get a PAYG to test with if necessary.
    2. Do you need tethering?
    3. Overseas roaming, costs?
    4. Overspend capping? Does data stop or do they charge the earth?
    5. Free calls to customer service and voice mail?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 26th Apr 17, 1:58 PM
    • 7,355 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    If I just ask for my PAC code though, I will then have to wait another 30 days once I find a sim deal and then cancel, is that right?

Sorry to sound a bit dim, I'm finding this a bit confusing! lol
    Originally posted by littlewren
    It's simple. Either give 30 days' notice to cancel, or request a PAC and exercise it within 30 days.

Asking for a PAC always negates any previous notice to cancel and if it isn't used within 30 days it will expire and the contract will then continue.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 26th Apr 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    With SIM only, there are some offers around that sometimes only last a couple of weeks. As per other replies, once you see a deal that suits you ask for your PAC and use it with the new provider.

Check these points carefully before committing to a new contract:
    1. Coverage, at home, work, pubs, clubs etc. Get a PAYG to test with if necessary.
    2. Do you need tethering?
    3. Overseas roaming, costs?
    4. Overspend capping? Does data stop or do they charge the earth?
    5. Free calls to customer service and voice mail?
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Thank you for this info. Yes ideally I would like to be able to tether to my tablet occasionally as it's only wifi. Roaming won't be applicable. I'll take all these points into account when I decide who to go with.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 26th Apr 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren
    It's simple. Either give 30 days' notice to cancel, or request a PAC and exercise it within 30 days.

Asking for a PAC always negates any previous notice to cancel and if it isn't used within 30 days it will expire and the contract will then continue.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    I see, thank you very much
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 26th Apr 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    littlewren

Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    So, say I want to go with Virgin Mobile.

My EE contract runs out on the 21st May, if I ring EE now and ask for my PAC code, I will still have to stay with them for 30 days won't I? If I get a sim only deal with VM, how do I use their sim card when I'm still with EE until the 21st May?

This is doing my head in, I can't get my head around it.

Can you please reply in simplest terms lol

Many thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,453Users online

Martin's Twitter