Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 14th Apr 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,692Posts
    • 684Thanks
    littlewren
    Help please re SIM only deals
    • 14th Apr 17, 4:58 PM
    Help please re SIM only deals 14th Apr 17 at 4:58 PM
    I've been with EE on contract for my mobile for 4 years in a week's time and for financial reasons I need to change to a SIM only deal and keep my current phone.

I would like to either be with EE, Virgin Mobile or O2. Looking at EE's website just now, their 2GB SIM only deal is 16.19, yet the 2GB SIM deal with Virgin Mobile is 9. I haven't checked O2 yet as I believe they will be expensive. EE offers unlimited minutes but I don't need this.

Am I missing something? Why is Virgin Mobile's deal so much cheaper? I should say that I don't know anything about SIM only deals

Also, what are the negatives of having a SIM only monthly deal?

Could someone possibly help please?

TIA

As a P.S. I need to cancel my contract with EE but I can't ring them at the moment as I have bad laryngitis and therefore can't speak on the phone, which is a nuisance.
    Last edited by littlewren; 14-04-2017 at 5:06 PM.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Page 2
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 15th Apr 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    littlewren
    Depends how much data you want, but there are cheaper 30 day rolling contracts about (e.g. Plusnet 5 per month for 500Mb)
    Originally posted by jblessing
    Thank you, I need 2GB really, which would increase that quite a bit.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 15th Apr 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    littlewren
    As far as I know, the difference between EE and Virgin is EE include tethering and Virgin do not.

Other points which may be important to check... international roaming, in particular EU roaming. Vodafone have already jumped on the EU roaming bandwagon ahead of the deadline of mid June.

EE don't offer a spending cap, not sure about Virgin. All contracts should include a spending cap, but many don't. Watch out.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Ah that's very interesting, I didn't know that Virgin wouldn't allow tethering and as I tether my phone to my tablet at the moment (although only occasionally when out and about) that's something to take into consideration, so thank you.

I don't use international roaming so that's not an issue for me.

I'm going to sound a bit daft, but what exactly is a spending cap?
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 15th Apr 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    littlewren
    Hi

I've sent you a private message with an email address of a contact I have in ee. He should be able to sort you out with a decent deal.
    Originally posted by Korkyb
    Thank you, I have read it and will reply soon.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    A spending cap is a limit on your monthly direct debit payment. I'm with Three who let you set zero or unlimited via their My3 app.

Voda and EE, perhaps many others, just let you run up a huge bill if you accidentally (or otherwise) make calls outside your bundle. If OFCOM got their finger out they could mandate spending limits...
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Apr 17, 1:41 PM
    • 16,280 Posts
    • 10,452 Thanks
    molerat
    Thank you, I need 2GB really, which would increase that quite a bit.
    Originally posted by littlewren
    Plusnet currently doing 5GB/500mins/ul txt for 10.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • GT60
    • By GT60 15th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    GT60
    Phone EE and ask them for the unlock code for your phone
    This should be Free now as you have have your phone for 4 years and then you can go with what ever network you like such as giff gaff
    If you got your phone from carphonewarehouse the phone will be unlocked anyway as all their phones come unlocked
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Apr 17, 7:58 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Thank you, that's what I was worried about. I'd rather go on the 30 day contract I think, for that reason.
    Originally posted by littlewren
    virgin tend to do 30 day ones.

EE do both
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Apr 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    AndyPK
    As far as I know, the difference between EE and Virgin is EE include tethering and Virgin do not.
    Good point.

Virgin give you free data for whatsapp and facebook messenger.
    And unused data is rolled over to the next month (but only rolls over 1 month)
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    If you got your phone from carphonewarehouse the phone will be unlocked anyway as all their phones come unlocked
    Originally posted by GT60
    I think you will find their iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, or at least that used to stated on their web site. A good reason to buy directly from Apple for a properly unlocked iPhone.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Apr 17, 12:42 AM
    • 6,180 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    d123
    I think you will find their iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, or at least that used to stated on their web site. A good reason to buy directly from Apple for a properly unlocked iPhone.
    You're right, the message is still on the CPW website.

The iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.
    John Lewis, giffgaff and Three also sell properly unlocked iPhones.
    Dave
    ====
    • debtorwithaquestion
    • By debtorwithaquestion 16th Apr 17, 1:17 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    debtorwithaquestion
    Three have a really good deal at the moment:

4GB data (4G)
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts

9 !!!!!!!!!

The link: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Negative for Three is lack of 4G when roaming in their 'Feel At Home' destinations. Also you're tied in for 12 months if not on a 30 day contract.

Vodafone however are getting better:

Global roaming free of charge on all plans (take whole allowance to Europe for free and on Vodafone 4G in every one of those countries - not some rubbish roaming partner network).

Call centres are coming back to the UK this year

On 12 month sim only you can upgrade to a handset contract any time after the first three months.

Flex upgrades- on a handset contact vodafone now let you pay off the device cost (much like o2 refresh) and upgrade whenever as long as handset cost itself is paid off.

I'd go for either:

Cheapness/economising = Three Sim Only
    Quality of network = Vodafone
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Apr 17, 7:12 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I'd go for either:

Originally posted by debtorwithaquestion
    I tried a Vodafone SIM out of curiosity and found the coverage locally worse than Three, which surprised me.

Also, unless they have recently changed, Vodafone were incapable of offering any spending cap (sending a text isn't a cap on spending). Three have and "all or nothing" cap the user can turn on/off via their My3 app.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Apr 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Vodafone don't have great coverage, poor reputation with billing.

The OP is on EE and assuming they are happy with the coverage should remain with that network for the least trouble.

There are plenty of networks which use EE's service.

Virgin, plusnet, vectone, asda
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 16th Apr 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    EE will negotiate. I've been on sim-only for a long time and buy my phones outright sim-free. There are no drawbacks I can see and it works out cheaper than a contract phone. I phone once a year when the 12 months is almost up and get a deal which is less than the advertised price.

EE network is much faster with better coverage than Vodafone where I use it, so I would be loathe to leave them.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 16th Apr 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    I transfered to EE from T mobile, I got a sim only unlimited text and calls with 2 GB, 10.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 17th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    GT60
    the phones from CPW and Giff gaff may state they are locked to the first sim that is used but I have had three and all are not locked to EE and Giffgaff/O2

Nokia 10 throw away purchased a month ago whilst mine went for repair , Samsung s5 Mini 2 years ago from CPW and a Samsung J3 from GG last month also my other sons Oneplus 3t works on all networks
    Hope this helps
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 6,180 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    d123
    the phones from CPW and Giff gaff may state they are locked to the first sim that is used but I have had three and all are not locked to EE and Giffgaff/O2
    CPW = locks to first sim (iPhone), most other phones unlocked

Giffgaff = all phones unlocked (including iPhone)
    Dave
    ====
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Apr 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    littlewren
    Phone EE and ask them for the unlock code for your phone
    This should be Free now as you have have your phone for 4 years and then you can go with what ever network you like such as giff gaff
    No sorry, I haven't had the same phone for 4 years, I changed last time (nearly 2 years ago) but have been with EE for nearly 4 years.

I got the phone from EE's website.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    littlewren
    Three have a really good deal at the moment:

4GB data (4G)
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts

9 !!!!!!!!!

The link: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Negative for Three is lack of 4G when roaming in their 'Feel At Home' destinations. Also you're tied in for 12 months if not on a 30 day contract.

Vodafone however are getting better:

Global roaming free of charge on all plans (take whole allowance to Europe for free and on Vodafone 4G in every one of those countries - not some rubbish roaming partner network).

Call centres are coming back to the UK this year

On 12 month sim only you can upgrade to a handset contract any time after the first three months.

Flex upgrades- on a handset contact vodafone now let you pay off the device cost (much like o2 refresh) and upgrade whenever as long as handset cost itself is paid off.

I'd go for either:

Originally posted by debtorwithaquestion
    Thank you, I'm not keen on going with 3, having heard so many bad things about them, I would rather stick with Virgin or EE if possible. And I was put off Vodafone after buying 2 dongles that gave a terrible connection.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Apr 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    littlewren
    Vodafone don't have great coverage, poor reputation with billing.

The OP is on EE and assuming they are happy with the coverage should remain with that network for the least trouble.

There are plenty of networks which use EE's service.

Virgin, plusnet, vectone, asda
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Yes I'm really pleased with the coverage and with EE overall (touch wood!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin