Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 14th Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    • 874Posts
    • 296Thanks
    Zola.
    iMac - worth it?
    • 14th Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    iMac - worth it? 14th Apr 17 at 2:35 PM
    Looking at imacs on - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/imac/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/317_3055_30057_xx_ba00010707-bv00308584/xx_xx_xx_xx_5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-criteria.html

Mainly used for Photography, graphic design and web development.

They are expensive but thinking it would be more portable than a PC, easy fitting in our living room, but more powerful than a laptop...
    Last edited by Zola.; 14-04-2017 at 2:49 PM.
Page 1
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    Typically for design work you want a big screen but an all in one means you lose your screen if your CPU dies and vice versa

You also can't upgrade one without the other, screens tend to last longer

The CPU's in those hardly reflect the cost premium you are paying, that is the stitch factor of buying Apple, you ALWAYS pay more for the same CPU, RAM DISK on PC Platform.

Laptops for that money are way more powerful, those are all I5 when Laptop could be I7, is worth you comparing actual CPU's on CPUBOSS and to look at benchmarks for the Graphics work you will be doing

iMac's are NOT portable, they are heavy and do not include the motion or shock protection a Laptop might have.

Your 1st consideration is SOFTWARE

Whether you MUST buy a Mac depends if you are using software that is ONLY available on Apple. Some PC software can be run on an emulator on a Mac.

If you must buy Mac then it becomes comparing iMac and other Apple platforms.

If you do NOT need to buy Apple you have options for the same money as the top end iMacs shown in your link.

A powerful laptop with 17"/18" inch screen but also a 30" screen or TV output via HDMI with external keyboard and mouse connected to a port replicator.

You need to ask yourself how important portability really is to you, if it is very important then a laptop is a must and again you could have Apple or PC with big External screen.

Do you have a top end budget, if it is for work this is going to be tax deductible assuming you make a profit.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • missile
    • By missile 14th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 8,627 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    missile
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    I love my iMac.

However if you have a TV in your living room(?) you could connect via HDMI or cast from a laptop to the TV.

Lap tops are much more powerful than they once were.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 14th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    I have the full Adobe Creative Suite package through work on my work pc, but I can also use this when I am at home. The package covers a licence of two machines, so long as they are both not logged in at once.

We only have one TV in the house. I like the thought of working in the living room, at the dining table whilst my partner can watch tv or whatever at the other end of the room. Dont really have space or putting it in the bedrooms.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 14th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    This beast reduced from £2200 to £1500
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-G752VY-T7049T-17-3-Inch-Notebook-Silver/dp/B017JY5798

or 100 less here

17.3-Inch Notebook (Silver) -
    (Intel Core i7-6820HK Quad Core 2.7GHz,
    32GB DDR4 RAM,
    512GB SSD +
    1TB HDD,
    Windows 10 Home,
    GeForce GTX 980M, GSYNC)

You could look at Gaming Laptops at the low end

HP for £1k

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-17-w006na-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01H9UW1SW?

HP Pavilion 17-ab200na
    Laptop (17.3 inch,
    Full HD,
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ,
    16 GB RAM,
    128 GB SSD,
    1 TB HDD,
    Windows 10,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050) -
    Natural Silver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-015UK-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01MS3CL4U

MSI GP72 7RD (Leopard) 015UK
    17.3 Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) -
    (Kabylake Core i7-7700HQ,
    16 GB RAM,
    128GB SSD,
    1TB HDD,
    GTX 1050,
    Windows 10)

If you have no space then so be it but sometimes you can fit something like this in the living room, with a raised screen

Last edited by DavidP24; 14-04-2017 at 7:37 PM.
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 14th Apr 17, 5:56 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 14th Apr 17, 5:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 5:56 PM
    iMac's are rarely worth it. It's really just a premium branded AIO running Mac OSX. You're far better getting a real PC instead.

You do not need a Mac for web development (quite the opposite) For photography and graphic design unless you're used to Mac software there is nothing that cannot be done better elsewhere.

If you're after portability then Mac is not the way to go. Get yourself a 17" laptop with dedicated 970M Nvidia or R9 card instead.

But even there if you're an amateur then you do not need that power and could make do with a i5 or A10 laptop instead.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    Wow a whole lot of ignorance in this thread. The one reason to get an iMac is the screen, particularly its colour accuracy. You're spending north of £700 to get a monitor for a PC with a screen with a similar colour accuracy. Factor in £700+ for an IPS monitor with a Delta E below 1 and accurate gamma tracking instead of an £89 Ebuyer VN panel below 1000:1 contrast special which goes inverted colours when looking at it at any angle when speccing a PC and all of a sudden iMacs don't start to look that expensive.

If you're doing graphic design and photography unlike DavidP24's vastly incorrect post your number 1 priority isn't software, its image quality and in particular colour accuracy.

Not one person commenting in this thread has the first clue of what is important when it comes to a computer for doing graphic design and photography because not one single one of them has mentioned the screen quality.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 14-04-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 15th Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4,240 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    Don't forget to check prices on Apple UK refurbished and your local dealer for ex display models. DS has several Macs for his business, similar requirements to you and after many years will not consider anything else.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 15th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    20aday
    • 15th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    Personally I have a second hand mid-2015 iMac 27" model purchased by eBay.

Yes they aren't money saving and granted sometimes the specifications can be bettered elsewhere but I do like the colour accuracy of my screen and the level of detail.

If I'm to add my opinion I'd personally wait (if you can) as the last model was launched in October 2014; Apple are "rumoured" to be launching some newer models later on in the year.

If the latest and greatest specs aren't overly important to you OP then you may bag yourself a "bargain".

It's worth pointing out the RAM in the 21.5" models is soldered to the motherboard and not user-replacable.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 15th Apr 17, 5:15 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    jshm2
    Wow a whole lot of ignorance in this thread. The one reason to get an iMac is the screen, particularly its colour accuracy. You're spending north of £700 to get a monitor for a PC with a screen with a similar colour accuracy. Factor in £700+ for an IPS monitor with a Delta E below 1 and accurate gamma tracking instead of an £89 Ebuyer VN panel below 1000:1 contrast special which goes inverted colours when looking at it at any angle when speccing a PC and all of a sudden iMacs don't start to look that expensive.

If you're doing graphic design and photography unlike DavidP24's vastly incorrect post your number 1 priority isn't software, its image quality and in particular colour accuracy.

Not one person commenting in this thread has the first clue of what is important when it comes to a computer for doing graphic design and photography because not one single one of them has mentioned the screen quality.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Seems you're among those who have no clue and a bit of a Apple fanboy to boot. A Mac screen like most other laptop screens are made by LG or Samsung. You can buy better colour accuracy screens for real laptops in many models depending on their market.

But screen estate and graphics capability is important, especially if you're not using Mac software or a Mac machine. You're not going to do much with colour if the machine is lagging in processing the graphics.

I doubt OP is looking at high end photography to require a HP Dreamcolor screen. Hence no one has bothered to mention what you're on about.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 15th Apr 17, 5:33 PM
    • 5,059 Posts
    • 4,479 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I've used Macs for years (and I'm typing this on one) but the attraction is wearing off for me now. OSX hasn't had any real updates to it for years and is now feeling quite dated in comparison to the latest iterations of Windows. To me it's clear Apple are concentrating on their mobile platforms (Phones etc) at the expense of their computer platforms and I cant see how they can continue to justify the (currently increasing) premium for their machines. I wont be buying Apple when my current computer is due for a change.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 14,147 Posts
    • 122,440 Thanks
    zagubov
    I have the full Adobe Creative Suite package through work on my work pc, but I can also use this when I am at home. The package covers a licence of two machines, so long as they are both not logged in at once.

We only have one TV in the house. I like the thought of working in the living room, at the dining table whilst my partner can watch tv or whatever at the other end of the room. Dont really have space or putting it in the bedrooms.
    Originally posted by Zola.
    OP, you've presumably got a Windows version of the Adobe Suite. You'd need to find out if you're automatically entitled to the mac version for your new imac. If not, you'd maybe be better off getting a windows laptop.

I'm a big fan of macs but their new ones aren't great value (although if you've a family member involved in education, you can get a discount). I'd always recommend getting a secondhand one refurbished on ebay or from apple themselves.

I'm not upgrading to the latest OSX version as invariably some software stops working and needs expensive replacement.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 15th Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    DavidP24

Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion and I welcome their experience, of course you will decide what is appropriate to your needs.

I do feel that you should always start with the Application, if the best match for your requirement is the Apple implementation, then you may have to pay to play. However, as you have stated that you use a PC at work it suggests that your requirements are satisfied by the PC implementation, the license is just icing on the cake. You will of course find you can spend as much or as little as you like on a display, I have designers working for me who use PC displays that cost way more than Apple, they they do really high end graphics work. Your posts seem to suggest your needs will be met by something more typical, I do not think anyone is suggesting you buy the cheapest screen on the planet, nor would it be fair to compare such a display.

Of course as shown in this thread some people love Apple and others find it getting a little dated.

If you want to try yourself then by all means go spend an afternoon an an Apple store, but ideally compare them side by side.

I would never buy an all in one device as a portable, they are heavy and do not have the anti shock design of a laptop.

As I said, a decent Games Laptop with some grunt will probably meet your needs and you can even put it away or use it in bed with one of those Ikea Bed laptop thingies.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Apr 17, 11:21 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Seems you're among those who have no clue and a bit of a Apple fanboy to boot. A Mac screen like most other laptop screens are made by LG or Samsung. You can buy better colour accuracy screens for real laptops in many models depending on their market.
    Originally posted by jshm2
    I'm a systems technician and I work on Windows, Linux and OSX. I spend all day working with computers on both hardware and software levels I expect WAY above what you do. Quite clearly you don't know of what you speak and seem to be one of those thickos who think that all panels are made equal by a manufacturer. They're not or even close because if they were then you'd get the same picture quality from an entry level Samsung TV as you would a top end one but you don't or anywhere close. The panels used in the iMac are the same panels used in the Dell U27xx range and in both cases they're very well calibrated at the factory for colour accuracy which is why I know that an equivalent quality and calibrated screen for a PC is going to be north of £700. Whilst you can buy SOME laptops, usually those north of £1000, with screens CAPABLE of equivalent colour accuracy they tend not to be calibrated as well out of the factory. Why? Well if you want to get your TV calibrated by a professional using a colorimeter you're going to be paying £250 upwards.

So what it boils down to is that if you're doing graphic design or photography work you're either going with an iMac or you're buying one of the previously mentioned Dell u27 series monitors or you're paying someone £250 to calibrate what you have.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 19th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Zola.
    The photography is more of a hobby. Imac is appealing but expensive.

Not sure what to do! Perhaps a laptop and separate IPS screen?
    • wba31
    • By wba31 19th Apr 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    wba31

I have a 21.5" retina imac for photography purely as a hobby. I use lightroom to edit photos.
    I bought this imac as my previous was taken in a burglary, and all my gear in my house is Apple so all talks to each other. However, I wouldn't have bought this if it wasn't for a friend of mine being a teacher and ordering it on his discount for me.

If you really want an iMac, then get one, don't look for clarification on here as there are lovers, haters and indifferent people. my advice is up the ram on your order and buy applecare so it's sorted for 3 years - and find a friend with NHS/education discount to save some £££

I don't know PC's but you will find a PC equivalent cheaper than the iMac. if using standard stuff like lightroom and iTunes and graphic design and web developing stuff then these programs will work on both OS.

So the question is do you want a mac or need one? if it's want, you'll pay for it. If need, then you have no choice. but as with all Apple products, there are cheaper non-Apple alternatives, its just whether you're prepared to pay for Apple or not (I will post a thread later today about smart watches!) - I wanted mine so paid for it!
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 19th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton

Current iMacs are very out of date so don't buy a current model..... Apple to release upgraded iMacs later this year.

I'm waiting till then as the Mac Pro isn't due till 2019.

And for the record AppleCare is a ripoff apart from maybe for the new MacBook Pro's
    Last edited by Mr_Singleton; 19-04-2017 at 5:22 PM.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 19th Apr 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Cisco001
    I don't see why people recommended laptop l.
    Just get a desktop with good monitor.

But as mentioned by other, what software you use play important role
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th Apr 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    DavidP24
    So you started off considering an iMac, the consensus was that they are a bit long in the tooth, maybe a new model coming later in the year, but you tend to get less bang per buck with Apple. You also stated Photography is a hobby.

You thought Imac was portable but it is not, not in box design or internal mountings etc, it is designed to stay on a desk.

So if you need portability, albeit not everyday, you do not want a huge dedicated space, so a laptop makes sense but one with enough grunt to run Photoshop. As you need to take work to clients occasional a laptop with a big screen and grunt means a Games Laptop.

You stated that you use a PC at work and have a license for the PC version of Photoshop, so PC will save you on software license.

So you are right, a Laptop with a decent screen, I quoted a few, but have a look at games laptops on YouTube, look at the design, they have nice keyboards with plenty of travel.

This was the one below that is £800 off, but yours has the bigger SSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEWmgGc-Q30

If you like movie premiers then this collection of 5 games laptop videos is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT-AYXo-R_Y

Looking at imacs on - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/imac/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/317_3055_30057_xx_ba00010707-bv00308584/xx_xx_xx_xx_5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-criteria.html

Mainly used for Photography, graphic design and web development.

They are expensive but thinking it would be more portable than a PC, easy fitting in our living room, but more powerful than a laptop...

Typically for design work you want a big screen but an all in one means you lose your screen if your CPU dies and vice versa

You also can't upgrade one without the other, screens tend to last longer

The CPU's in those hardly reflect the cost premium you are paying, that is the stitch factor of buying Apple, you ALWAYS pay more for the same CPU, RAM DISK on PC Platform.

Laptops for that money are way more powerful, those are all I5 when Laptop could be I7, is worth you comparing actual CPU's on CPUBOSS and to look at benchmarks for the Graphics work you will be doing

iMac's are NOT portable, they are heavy and do not include the motion or shock protection a Laptop might have.

Your 1st consideration is SOFTWARE

Whether you MUST buy a Mac depends if you are using software that is ONLY available on Apple. Some PC software can be run on an emulator on a Mac.

If you must buy Mac then it becomes comparing iMac and other Apple platforms.

If you do NOT need to buy Apple you have options for the same money as the top end iMacs shown in your link.

A powerful laptop with 17"/18" inch screen but also a 30" screen or TV output via HDMI with external keyboard and mouse connected to a port replicator.

You need to ask yourself how important portability really is to you, if it is very important then a laptop is a must and again you could have Apple or PC with big External screen.

Do you have a top end budget, if it is for work this is going to be tax deductible assuming you make a profit.

This beast reduced from £2200 to £1500
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-G752VY-T7049T-17-3-Inch-Notebook-Silver/dp/B017JY5798

or 100 less here

17.3-Inch Notebook (Silver) -
    (Intel Core i7-6820HK Quad Core 2.7GHz,
    32GB DDR4 RAM,
    512GB SSD +
    1TB HDD,
    Windows 10 Home,
    GeForce GTX 980M, GSYNC)

You could look at Gaming Laptops at the low end

HP for £1k

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-17-w006na-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01H9UW1SW?

HP Pavilion 17-ab200na
    Laptop (17.3 inch,
    Full HD,
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ,
    16 GB RAM,
    128 GB SSD,
    1 TB HDD,
    Windows 10,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050) -
    Natural Silver

MSI

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Leopard-015UK-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B01MS3CL4U

MSI GP72 7RD (Leopard) 015UK
    17.3 Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) -
    (Kabylake Core i7-7700HQ,
    16 GB RAM,
    128GB SSD,
    1TB HDD,
    GTX 1050,
    Windows 10)

If you have no space then so be it but sometimes you can fit in the living room, with a raised screen

Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion and I welcome their experience, of course you will decide what is appropriate to your needs.

I do feel that you should always start with the Application, if the best match for your requirement is the Apple implementation, then you may have to pay to play. However, as you have stated that you use a PC at work it suggests that your requirements are satisfied by the PC implementation, the license is just icing on the cake. You will of course find you can spend as much or as little as you like on a display, I have designers working for me who use PC displays that cost way more than Apple, they they do really high end graphics work. Your posts seem to suggest your needs will be met by something more typical, I do not think anyone is suggesting you buy the cheapest screen on the planet, nor would it be fair to compare such a display.

Of course as shown in this thread some people love Apple and others find it getting a little dated.

If you want to try yourself then by all means go spend an afternoon an an Apple store, but ideally compare them side by side.

I would never buy an all in one device as a portable, they are heavy and do not have the anti shock design of a laptop.

As I said, a decent Games Laptop with some grunt will probably meet your needs and you can even put it away or use it in bed with one of those Ikea Bed laptop thingies.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    • Ravi47
    • By Ravi47 20th Apr 17, 11:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ravi47
    I would defo recommend an iMac but wait for the release of the new model due later this year, if you can't wait get one from Apple refurb store, Costco is also a good place to buy macs, I'd avoid Currys not the greatest customer service, phone apple direct and they will price match currys etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,046Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin