Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bucki
    • By Bucki 14th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bucki
    0 WOW
    first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    0 WOW
    first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating 14th Apr 17 at 1:19 PM
    Hello,

I found one similar/same topic which had been closed in year 2011.
    Wanted to re-ask the same question if it is ok with you.

Recently booked our holiday with Thomson and did not opt for the "choose seat option" due to the silly high costs. Never the less, now wanted to check in 6 days before flight - and was denied *error: cannot checkin online, please check in at the desk!

I had an online chat and they said that the seats will be auto-allocated! In a way, I am thinking that this type of "choose your seats online" is like a trick to get people pay for it where in fact, there are plenty of free suitable seats available and thinking to get it done at the desk.

On other hand side, I am kind of worried that we will be seated too far apart.

Anyone flown with this line recently?
    We going to Dominic. Republic... for a week.

Please advise, your recent experience etc

Thank You and apologies if I did not create the topic to your rules (im new here).
    Last edited by Bucki; 14-04-2017 at 1:22 PM.
Page 5
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th Apr 17, 5:52 PM
    • 17,543 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    The A380 double decker whale jet is likely to go 3-5-3 on the main lower deck.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 16,705 Posts
    • 40,262 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I don't think it's fair to call it a nasty tactic. It's giving people the choice to guarantee seating together.

With many airline seats laid out in groups of three, and many people travelling as a couple or family, it invariably means that some will be split across an aisle - that's just basic division, rather than anything particularly nefarious.

If I don't want to be split from the rest of my party, I have the choice to ensure that doesn't happen.
    Originally posted by whatmichaelsays
    I think you'll find that 'across the aisle' and 'seated one row behind' e.g. 15c and 16c are classed as 'seated together' by a lot of airlines so unless you pay to choose specific seats, you may not get what you expect.

This is what Thomson say about if you've paid to select a specific seat and they have to change it:
    http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/info/travel-options
    Once you’ve chosen your seat, you won’t be able to change it. That said, in some circumstances, we may have to change your seat. This would only be for operational, safety or security reasons. Select Your Seat Service is provided using the Civil Aviation Authority guidelines, therefore certain requirements must be satisfied before we can allocate seats near the exit.

If we do have to change your seat, we’ll try to keep it as close to what you booked as possible. A refund will only be offered if we can’t seat your group together and in a similar position to your original request*. In such cases, we ask that you keep a copy of your confirmation documents and boarding cards. If you choose the Select Your Seat option but then don’t go on to select your seat numbers, we’ll still try and seat your group together. If you’re not flying with Thomson Airways, we’ll do our best to keep your party together but we can’t guarantee it.

*Seats together may be across an aisle or behind each other. A similar position means the same type of seat (window, aisle etc) as your original selected seats.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 21-04-2017 at 6:54 AM.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 21st Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    fifeken
    Extra weight = extra cost, obviously extra legroom seats are extra cost, why should one pay extra but not the other?
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Because they've got one thing wrong they should get two wrong? Not in my book.

PS I didn't mean that the entire plane should contains seats suitable for basketball players, just that taller people who have a physical requirement for extra legroom should be able to get the existing extra legroom seats without paying extra for them.
    No way. They knew what height they were when they booked and should have selected suitable transport. I like the extra legroom seats as much someone taller than me, but I would be ruled out by this idea.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 21st Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??
    I've no idea how he managed to tell you that. You can't even see what seats are available at the booking stage. The only time you can get to see a seating plan is after you've actually booked.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 21st Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 11,628 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    zagfles
    Because they've got one thing wrong they should get two wrong? Not in my book.
    Originally posted by fifeken
    How about some consistency?
    No way. They knew what height they were when they booked and should have selected suitable transport. I like the extra legroom seats as much someone taller than me, but I would be ruled out by this idea.
    Yeah yeah, and I suppose a disabled or old & frail person getting public transport knew about their disability before getting public transport so obviously there should be no priority seats for them either, right? Or maybe they should pay extra for such seats? What do you think - why not propose it to your local bus company?
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 22nd Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    fifeken
    How about some consistency?
    No, two wrongs won't make a right.

Yeah yeah, and I suppose a disabled or old & frail person getting public transport knew about their disability before getting public transport so obviously there should be no priority seats for them either, right? Or maybe they should pay extra for such seats? What do you think - why not propose it to your local bus company?
    Good manners and legal obligations are completely different issues from whether a tall person should get an extra leg room seat in preference to someone not quite as tall.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,466Posts Today

7,337Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin