Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bucki
    • By Bucki 14th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bucki
    0 WOW
    first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    0 WOW
    first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating 14th Apr 17 at 1:19 PM
    Hello,

I found one similar/same topic which had been closed in year 2011.
    Wanted to re-ask the same question if it is ok with you.

Recently booked our holiday with Thomson and did not opt for the "choose seat option" due to the silly high costs. Never the less, now wanted to check in 6 days before flight - and was denied *error: cannot checkin online, please check in at the desk!

I had an online chat and they said that the seats will be auto-allocated! In a way, I am thinking that this type of "choose your seats online" is like a trick to get people pay for it where in fact, there are plenty of free suitable seats available and thinking to get it done at the desk.

On other hand side, I am kind of worried that we will be seated too far apart.

Anyone flown with this line recently?
    We going to Dominic. Republic... for a week.

Please advise, your recent experience etc

Thank You and apologies if I did not create the topic to your rules (im new here).
    Last edited by Bucki; 14-04-2017 at 1:22 PM.
Page 4
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Apr 17, 6:37 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    Nick_C
    my flight is on 20th now, and hoping the seating allocation won't be an issue.
    We plan to be there from 7am and be the first one for the checkin.
    Originally posted by BUKI
    Don't know where you are flying from, but be aware that IF you are flying from Gatwick and your flight is before 12:00 then you can check in the day before, so you won't be first in the queue at 7am on the day of departure.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 19-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 17,009 Posts
    • 42,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What time is your flight?
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Ganga
    Hello all

woww... I see a lot of replies / opinions and even some "angry" comments.
    People, do not simply judge anybody without knowing some other facts.

I got this holiday as a sponsor (would not efford it on my own)
    secondly, the booking had been done by somebody else (as I was not able to due ...)

the person who did the booking was not the sponsor, he thought that the checking
    can be done at later stage, THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??

So, then I login to go the onlin checking 6 days before the flight, and boooooooom, error appeared with unable to checkin please go to the desk bla bla bla. When speaking / chating with the online agaent they said that the online checking is limited (of which I was not aware of) and is now closed!!

Eitherway, at the time he said there are only 2 seats but again not adjecent!
    So, I said no I rather will speak to the DESK people ... of which I think might not be worth it.

But yeh, my question here was about whether somebody been through same issues
    and how they overcome this at the airport - or possibly asking the stewardess if they can allocate us a seat together - in hope there might be some "single persons willing to give up their seat??

So yeh, that is all I can do now by the looks of it.

WHY DID I NOT PAY FOR THE EXTREA ROOM KNOWING MY WIFE IS AFFRAID OF FLYING??

My wife is not mentally ill , she simply is scared of hight and would make her feel much safer with me closer to her. Again, why paying for the silly £70 which is peanut to some of you - and we are still siting apart? would you pay it if you would sit apart? surely not!!

Its not peanuts to all of us but when put into context with a holiday costing say £2000 why spoil it by sitting at opposite ends of the plane when paying 3.5% ( £70 ) means you can sit side by side,makes even more sense if one of you is not a flyer.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 9:07 AM
    • 17,009 Posts
    • 42,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    secondly, the booking had been done by somebody else (as I was not able to due ...)

the person who did the booking was not the sponsor, he thought that the checking
    can be done at later stage, THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.
    I hope you've checked your booking details very carefully.

The names on your booking must match those on your passport otherwise you may have problems at check-in.

So - for example - if your name on your passport is Margaret but everyone calls you Peggy (a common diminutive of 'Margaret') and the person who made the booking has put 'Peggy', it's possible that you'll be denied boarding.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 19th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 11,981 Posts
    • 9,939 Thanks
    zagfles
    Hello all

woww... I see a lot of replies / opinions and even some "angry" comments.
    People, do not simply judge anybody without knowing some other facts.
    Believe me - you got off lightly - should see some previous threads on this subject

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??
    Well exactly.
    So, then I login to go the onlin checking 6 days before the flight, and boooooooom, error appeared with unable to checkin please go to the desk bla bla bla. When speaking / chating with the online agaent they said that the online checking is limited (of which I was not aware of) and is now closed!!

So, I said no I rather will speak to the DESK people ... of which I think might not be worth it.

But yeh, my question here was about whether somebody been through same issues
    and how they overcome this at the airport - or possibly asking the stewardess if they can allocate us a seat together - in hope there might be some "single persons willing to give up their seat??
    Like I said above, on one of our flights the stewards did ask for volunteers to swap seats so a family could sit together, and got a few volunteers and it was sorted. That was for a family, not sure if they'd do it for a couple, but it's worth a try. You can only ask.

Also see this - free yoga for nervous fliers which is supposed to de-stress you!

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/health/stressed-out-by-flying-gatwick-has-introduced-free-preflight-yoga-classes-a3102016.html

Someone I know scared of flying said she found some useful videos on youtube which helped so might be worth a search. She also said it wasn't her husband who helped on the flight, as he wasn't a confident flyer either, it was the woman sat on her other side who was a regular flyer and so completely confident, chatting to her before takeoff really helped her relax.

So if you are separated, she could start up a conversation with the person next to her, in all likelyhood it'll be someone who's flown hundreds of times before and is confident and relaxed, so as above that could help.

Good luck and have a great holiday!
    • BUKI
    • By BUKI 19th Apr 17, 11:13 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    BUKI
    Don't know where you are flying from, but be aware that IF you are flying from Gatwick and your flight is before 12:00 then you can check in the day before, so you won't be first in the queue at 7am on the day of departure.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Flying from Manchaster 9:55am
    You are right and i just noticed the following "Airport check-in closes at 09:05. You can check in at the airport and drop your bags off the day before this flight between 12:00 noon and 22:00"

great!!!! This implies that check in is done 1 day beforehand and not on the day of travel!!
    How pathetic , though the online agent kept saying to check in on the day when departing!

I am fuming now ...

What time is your flight?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    we fly from :
    Manchester MAN (Terminal Two)
    Dep 09:50 - Arr 13:30
    Direct 08hr 40min TOM 118

And yes, we checked the our information and luckyly no errors.
    Just the seating is the one that is causing us the havoc.

By the way, my wife does not speak english (very little) and speaking to next-to person won't do much.
    As Zagles is saying, we hope somebody will be willing to give up their seat up
    Last edited by BUKI; 19-04-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just wanted to make sure your expectations are realistic.

I think the key thing now is to try to relax and chill. Accept that you and your wife are not going to be sitting together. You will probably be in aisle seats, and for your wife the further she is from the window the better. If you do end up sitting together then it will be a pleasant surprise. But if you don't, then just relax, have a drink, enjoy the in flight entertainment, and be happy knowing that you are setting off on a fantastic holiday. Be positive. And have a great holiday. I'm jealous!
    • BUKI
    • By BUKI 19th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    BUKI
    NickC

Does the below means that checkins are done during the time 1 day before travel??
    Or is it optional and yet the checkin can be done at the airport as well?/

Airport check-in closes at 09:05. You can check in at the airport and drop your bags off the day before this flight between 12:00 noon and 22:00"

Thanks
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 19th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 11,981 Posts
    • 9,939 Thanks
    zagfles
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just wanted to make sure your expectations are realistic.

I think the key thing now is to try to relax and chill. Accept that you and your wife are not going to be sitting together. You will probably be in aisle seats, and for your wife the further she is from the window the better. If you do end up sitting together then it will be a pleasant surprise. But if you don't, then just relax, have a drink, enjoy the in flight entertainment, and be happy knowing that you are setting off on a fantastic holiday. Be positive. And have a great holiday. I'm jealous!
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Also for the vast majority of the flight you won't be confined to your seat, you can get up and walk down the aisle and check on each other, easy if you both end up with aisle seats which looks likely.

I was on a long haul flight once where the bloke next to me in the aisle seat spent almost the entire flight chatting to his mate stood next to him! It was a bit annoying and I offered to swap seats with the guy stood up at one point but he said, "no thanks I'll sit down in a minute" but 2 hours later he was still there!

Obviously you can't do it during takeoff and landing which are likely to be the worst times, but you usually can for the rest of the flight unless there's turbulence when the captain will put the seatbelt signs on.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    Nick_C
    NickC

Does the below means that checkins are done during the time 1 day before travel??
    Or is it optional and yet the checkin can be done at the airport as well?/

Airport check-in closes at 09:05. You can check in at the airport and drop your bags off the day before this flight between 12:00 noon and 22:00"

Thanks
    You can check in today or tomorrow morning
    • SandC
    • By SandC 19th Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    SandC
    Thomson short haul £30 each return
    Thomson long haul £50 each return

As for the bus fares,here in the NE we can travel a long way for £1.50
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I've paid £20 each return Thomson short haul to Corfu in June for seat selection.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 12:53 PM
    • 17,009 Posts
    • 42,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    As Zagles is saying, we hope somebody will be willing to give up their seat up
    Be smiley and polite at the check-in desk and as soon as you hand your documents over, ask if you can be sat together.

If that's not possible, be smiley and polite as you board the plane and explain to the cabin crew that your wife is a nervous flyer and ask if there is any chance of being sat together.

Good luck.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Apr 17, 1:20 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Ganga
    I've paid £20 each return Thomson short haul to Corfu in June for seat selection.
    Originally posted by SandC
    Was this for extra leg room seats?
    • SandC
    • By SandC 19th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    SandC
    Was this for extra leg room seats?
    Originally posted by Ganga
    No just seat selection.

In other news, I got a special fare price from Manchester to Phuket via Dubai with Emirates in Nov and if I want to preselect seats on that basis it's £40 each leg - so that would cost me an extra £160! As you've said, you get what you pay for and my reasonably priced early booked ticket is such because I've chosen to have no flexibility.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    • 15,625 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    FBaby
    I'm confused! If you were told on the phone that there were only 2 seats left, but not adjacent, that implies that everyone had already booked and these are the only two left, in which case, it doesn't matter when you book, these will be the two you'll get. Unless they've overbooked but we won't go there...

Or, as I explained in my email, they only have so many allocated seats for early payable booking and these were the only ones left, however, it will turn out that there are still many left available for those who didn't opt for early booking. In that case, you do want to hurry to book. Does this allow for on-line booking?
    • springdreams
    • By springdreams 19th Apr 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 31,296 Thanks
    springdreams
    If your flight is at 9.50am, then I think you are leaving it a bit late to be at the airport by 7am.

The gates will close about 30 minutes before take off, so around 9.20am. And people will start checking in around 3 hours before that because of the amount of time it takes to check in and get through security. So to be one of the first in line to check in, you'd need to be at the airport around 6.20am.
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 17,009 Posts
    • 42,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think 7am is late too if the OP isn't doing/hasn't done check-in today.
    I doubt they'd be first to check in.

Last time we flew Thomson (short haul), they had a single queue for all their flights, lots of check-in desks though.
    Can't remember if that was from LGW or MAN.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 20th Apr 17, 8:35 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Ganga
    Originally posted by SandC
    That is why we paid or extra leg room seats on our trip to Cyprus,Thompsons wanted £20 each for basic seat selection but for £60 more we got the better seats.I know that lots of people refuse to pay for seat selection but for a 5 hour flight my wife prefers to sit next to me rather than at opposite ends of the plane,our money-our choise.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 20th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 5,140 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    Indeed, that is a nasty tactic that the airlines been using for a while now. W[/I]
    Originally posted by Bucki
    I don't think it's fair to call it a nasty tactic. It's giving people the choice to guarantee seating together.

With many airline seats laid out in groups of three, and many people travelling as a couple or family, it invariably means that some will be split across an aisle - that's just basic division, rather than anything particularly nefarious.

If I don't want to be split from the rest of my party, I have the choice to ensure that doesn't happen.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 20th Apr 17, 5:48 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    Nick_C
    With many airline seats laid out in groups of three, and many people travelling as a couple or family, it invariably means that some will be split across an aisle - that's just basic division, rather than anything particularly nefarious
    Originally posted by whatmichaelsays
    But that is a problem of the airlines' making. When the 777 came out, the seating was 2-5-2. I thought that worked very well, as it allowed couples and larger groups to sit together. The 3-3-3 layout splits up a lot of couples.

But even worse, most airlines now have 3-4-3 on planes designed for 2-5-2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,070Posts Today

7,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin