first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's unusual for them not to be prebooked. There's so very few of them. They're not usually allocated if you don't pay for them, so you got a result! Row 2 D/E/F on their 737s are extra space seats. Rows 3-5 D/E/F are extra legroom.

The only negative with these seats is row 5,the people behind in row 6 are that close that you can feel their knee,s banging against the back of your seat,this is not the fault of the passengers but Thomson,s fault for choosing to put as many people on the plane as possible.:eek:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Yours were extra space seats and there's very few of them. They do charge more for them but IME the front row are always some of the first to get booked. Possibly someone had cancelled quite late on. They don't usually allocate them free of charge though. They sell the exact number of standard economy seats that they have, so if people don't prebook the extra space or extra legroom seats the system doesn't look at them when doing allocations. Possibly they found they had a family or familes that weren't seated close enough together and have needed to reseat them. They've also had a few glitches with their seating system though where prebooked seats have been dropping off and being allocated to other people so possibly it may have been a system glitch that you benefitted from. Either way, as long as you don't mind bulkhead seats you got a result. We avoid bulkhead. Mr Sunaddict is tall and he finds them more restrictive because he's nowhere to stretch his legs out. Extra legroom are better for us.
    We're not really bothered where we sit which is why we never prebook seats (unless it's free). Ironically I'm the tallest in our group but I didn't get one of the extra legroom seats as I didn't know which they were or even think about it when boarding, but I never have an issue with legroom anyway even though I'm almost 6 foot. As you say you can stretch legs under the seat in front so a normal seat is fine for me.

But interesting to know we got a "freebie" which some people consider valuable - even though I didn't know about it till this thread :)
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    The same thing happened with a low fare flight across the Atlantic booked 12 months in advance. I was taken aback with the costs of booking seats for 4 people, but as a nervous flyer, the prospect of not seating next to family was petrifying. I kept looking at numbers seats booked and was reassured that there plenty of seats left, until I looked a week earlier and it said that all were booked and there were only individual seats that could be booked, which sent me in a panic spiral.

We got to the airport early, did automatic booking, hoping that we could at least sit within a few rows of each other to discover that we were seated next to each other. Same on the way back.

As it is, very few pay to book seats. What they do though is close this option except for very few single seats. They mark the rest as already booked, but they are not! The key thing is to arrive early (we did so 3 hours early).

Was that with Thomsons, because it certainly isn't true that very few of their customers pay to prebook seats, especially on longhaul.

Scheduled carriers hold a percentage of seats back for free selection at OLCI, but the majority are prebookable. The UK charters don't hold seats back. That said sometimes Thomson block Row 39 but that's all.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't get it you can afford to go to the Dominican but begrudge £70 for seats ! should have just paid for gawds sake, its cost you more in worry.

No sympathy.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shepht wrote: »
    We fly tomorrow with Thomson, I use the Thomson App, no problems with the online booking. Have you got a local Thomson or Thomas Cook shop they could help? Good luck, we never pay but always get seated together. Have a lovely holiday.

Why would a shop want to help when the customer didn't want the shop to help when booking the holiday?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, I'm puzzled. If your wife is scared of flying, then why book a holiday that involves a 10 hour flight each way?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    Options
    Was that with Thomsons, because it certainly isn't true that very few of their customers pay to prebook seats, especially on longhaul.

Scheduled carriers hold a percentage of seats back for free selection at OLCI, but the majority are prebookable. The UK charters don't hold seats back. That said sometimes Thomson block Row 39 but that's all.

No, it was with another cheap long haul company to the USA. From what I could see, they offered all the seats for pre-booking until about a week before the flights.

The seats we ended up with there and back were definitely marked as already booked/not available for pre-booking a week before the flight date.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    Options
    Don't get it you can afford to go to the Dominican but begrudge £70 for seats ! should have just paid for gawds sake, its cost you more in worry.
    I expect one way, so £140 both ways, which is often the difference between going with that airline company rather than one with free pre-booking.
    OP, I'm puzzled. If your wife is scared of flying, then why book a holiday that involves a 10 hour flight each way?
    Because it's good to conquer your fears. I stopped flying all together about 15 years ago. Problem is, I love travelling so I decided I needed to do something about it. I started with shorter flights, it was hell, but I kept going and it got a bit less horrible flight after flight. We then booked a long haul flight and I was besides myself, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. Booked another one last year and again, it wasn't so bad, so going again this year. I don't feel I will never stop hating flying but I got to the point where what I get from getting there is worth the hours on a plane.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think it's personal choice whether you decide to pay to prebook seats.

What I don't think is acceptable is throwing a strop (and I'm not accusing the OP or anyone else on this thread of doing this) when you rock up to the airport to find you're at opposite ends of the plane and expecting passengers who have paid for their seats or who have got to the airport before you to be moved for you.

If it's important to you, pay the fee.

We would never bother on short haul.

On long haul, if the configuration is 3-3-3, we prefer to sit in the centre section one behind the other e.g. 15D & 16D.
    The other seats are more often than not taken by a couple so they go to the loo on their side which means I can sleep undisturbed and we both can get up whenever we want.
    We've actually paid for these seats in the past flying charter but also because we can pick seats near the front and can be off and into Immigration very quickly which can make the difference of a couple of hours getting to our hotel.
    It seems to confuse the hell out of check-in staff who apparently want us to sit next to each other. :D
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I expect one way, so £140 both ways, which is often the difference between going with that airline company rather than one with free pre-booking.

£70 will be the total price. You can prebook seats one way. No airlines offer free pre-booking. They've just included the cost in the price of the ticket. That means everyone pays for it whether they want to request their own seat or not. Not everyone is bothered about where they sit, or who with. If you want 'extras' you just factor them into the total cost when comparing prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure