Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bucki
    • By Bucki 14th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bucki
    0 WOW
    first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating
    • 14th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    0 WOW
    first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating 14th Apr 17 at 1:19 PM
    Hello,

I found one similar/same topic which had been closed in year 2011.
    Wanted to re-ask the same question if it is ok with you.

Recently booked our holiday with Thomson and did not opt for the "choose seat option" due to the silly high costs. Never the less, now wanted to check in 6 days before flight - and was denied *error: cannot checkin online, please check in at the desk!

I had an online chat and they said that the seats will be auto-allocated! In a way, I am thinking that this type of "choose your seats online" is like a trick to get people pay for it where in fact, there are plenty of free suitable seats available and thinking to get it done at the desk.

On other hand side, I am kind of worried that we will be seated too far apart.

Anyone flown with this line recently?
    We going to Dominic. Republic... for a week.

Please advise, your recent experience etc

Thank You and apologies if I did not create the topic to your rules (im new here).
    Last edited by Bucki; 14-04-2017 at 1:22 PM.
Page 3
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    I don't consider anything under 6 foot particularly tall, given that in my family the average height it 6'3. And when it comes to leg room, the extra is definitely a boon for those who are in the 6'3+ bracket otherwise we spend the flight with our knees digging into the seat in front
    Originally posted by springdreams
    Yes I'm lucky enough not to need to pay for extra legroom

And my wife at 5 foot 4 got an extra legroom seat for free!

In some ways it's discriminatory - the airlines really should provide seats that taller people can comfortably sit in without charging them extra. After all they don't charge fat people extra for the extra weight - if your baggage is 10kg overweight they'd charge you a fortune for being overweight with the excuse that more weight = more fuel, but they don't charge a 90kg person more than an 80kg person. So why charge tall people more?
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 18th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    fifeken
    - the airlines really should provide seats that taller people can comfortably sit in without charging them extra.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    What you describe would mean less seats on the plane and every passenger paying extra to make up for it. Not many "regular" people would agree to that. It's unfortunate that nature threw excess height at some people, but airlines quite rightly are set up for the majority, not the outliers.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    Nick_C
    If £70 is return for two people, then it's cheap.

I flew to Canada with BA last year in PE/WT+. It cost £160 (4 * 40) to reserve return seats for two people. It was a lot, but it got us the window/aisle pair in a 2-3-2 configuration, and I figured it was worth paying for.

We are flying to LA in Business/CW in June. BA again. Seat reservation for the two of us return would cost £396! (Yes, £99 pp each way). This time, I don't think its worth it. I'll take whatever seats are available at check in. It's a total rip off, but it is what it is. There is no point moaning about it. Other airlines are available.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    Nick_C
    ... the airlines really should provide seats that taller people can comfortably sit in without charging them extra. After all they don't charge fat people extra for the extra weight - if your baggage is 10kg overweight they'd charge you a fortune for being overweight with the excuse that more weight = more fuel, but they don't charge a 90kg person more than an 80kg person. So why charge tall people more?
    Most airlines provide comfortable seats for anyone who is prepared to pay for them. Most people prefer to pay less and be less comfortable. If you want a more spacious and comfortable seat, then pay for it. The space you are taking up has to be paid for somehow.

I would be quite happy paying by the kilo for my body weight and the weight of my hold and hand luggage.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    What you describe would mean less seats on the plane and every passenger paying extra to make up for it. Not many "regular" people would agree to that. It's unfortunate that nature threw excess height at some people, but airlines quite rightly are set up for the majority, not the outliers.
    Originally posted by fifeken
    Well obviously, that's why I compared it to weight! Extra weight = extra cost, obviously extra legroom seats are extra cost, why should one pay extra but not the other? Catering for disabled people is extra cost too.

PS I didn't mean that the entire plane should contains seats suitable for basketball players, just that taller people who have a physical requirement for extra legroom should be able to get the existing extra legroom seats without paying extra for them.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 3:43 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    Most airlines provide comfortable seats for anyone who is prepared to pay for them. Most people prefer to pay less and be less comfortable. If you want a more spacious and comfortable seat, then pay for it. The space you are taking up has to be paid for somehow.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Personally I don't have a problem, but I can see taller people might through no fault of their own. It's debatable whether peoples' physical state should be catered for at their expense or as an overall average where people get the seats they need.

Certainly if I was sat in an extra legroom seat and someone who was 6 foot 6 was struggling behind me, I'd be willing to swap.

Just as I would if I were on a bus and there were no seats free and a disabled pensioner got on, I'd give up my seat for them. Even though I had paid and they probably hadn't.
    I would be quite happy paying by the kilo for my body weight and the weight of my hold and hand luggage.
    Then why don't airlines do that - if they're going to charge tall people more?

Probably because of the outcry they'd get, accusations of "fat shaming" etc. Bad PR. I think one airline did suggest it and it didn't go down well. But it would make it cheaper for families - a 2 year old doesn't weigh much!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I think its only Samoa Air and Uzbekistan Airways who charge passengers by weight, but quite a few airlines require large passengers to pay for two seats.

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/airline-policies-for-overweight-passengers-traveling-this-summer/

Of course, exit row seats in economy offer more space. I don't have a problem with those seats being offered FOC to taller passengers. But exit rows are a neccessity. I don't think it would be fair to add more rows of more spacious seats purely to accommodate taller people. Would you also have even more dense seating for short people? Or children?
    Last edited by Nick_C; 18-04-2017 at 3:56 PM.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    I think its only Samoa Air and Uzbekistan Airways who charge passengers by weight, but quite a few airlines require large passengers to pay for two seats.

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/airline-policies-for-overweight-passengers-traveling-this-summer/

Of course, exit row seats in economy offer more space. I don't have a problem with those seats being offered FOC to taller passengers. But exit rows are a neccessity. I don't think it would be fair to add more rows of more spacious seats purely to accommodate taller people. Would you also have even more dense seating for short people? Or children?
    In principle don't see why not but in practice it would likely be impractical as you'll have mixed height couples who may want to sit with each other and similarly parents with children.

Maybe seats that are moveable backwards are forwards, like in a car - if my wife is in the front and a tall person is sat behind she'll move her seat forwards to give the taller person behind more legroom at the expense of hers as she doesn't need as much.

But that of course requires consideration for your fellow passengers so I doubt it would work on an airline. It seems once people get on a plane it's all me me me!

Other public transport usually has spaces reserved for people with particular needs (not usually height as that's rarely an issue, but other stuff like disabilites, age, or those with children). And you get people giving seats up to those who need their seat more, regardless of who paid what. But on planes it seems to be more about who paid what rather than who needs what.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 18th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ganga
    In principle don't see why not but in practice it would likely be impractical as you'll have mixed height couples who may want to sit with each other and similarly parents with children.

Maybe seats that are moveable backwards are forwards, like in a car - if my wife is in the front and a tall person is sat behind she'll move her seat forwards to give the taller person behind more legroom at the expense of hers as she doesn't need as much.

But that of course requires consideration for your fellow passengers so I doubt it would work on an airline. It seems once people get on a plane it's all me me me!

Other public transport usually has spaces reserved for people with particular needs (not usually height as that's rarely an issue, but other stuff like disabilites, age, or those with children). And you get people giving seats up to those who need their seat more, regardless of who paid what. But on planes it seems to be more about who paid what rather than who needs what.

In your example what happens to the money that i paid for the extra leg room seats that would be given to someone like yourself who refuses to pay for seats?
    In the world of air travel you get what you pay for, be that first class,business class or extra leg room !
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 6:01 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    [/B]

In your example what happens to the money that i paid for the extra leg room seats that would be given to someone like yourself who refuses to pay for seats?
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I don't need an extra legroom seat.
    In the world of air travel you get what you pay for, be that first class,business class or extra leg room !
    Would you give up your seat on a bus to a disabled pensioner, or would you refuse on the grounds you'd paid but they hadn't (as they have a free bus pass)?

Personally if someone needs my seat more than I do, I'd happily swap, regardless of who paid what. Whether that be someone who's tall, fat, old, disabled, or with children.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th Apr 17, 6:14 PM
    • 18,292 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    richardw
    On some airlines with the legal minimum of seat pitch, the extra legroom seats should be reserved free of charge for very tall passengers.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 18th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ganga
    I don't need an extra legroom seat. Would you give up your seat on a bus to a disabled pensioner, or would you refuse on the grounds you'd paid but they hadn't (as they have a free bus pass)?

Personally if someone needs my seat more than I do, I'd happily swap, regardless of who paid what. Whether that be someone who's tall, fat, old, disabled, or with children.
    I think there is a major difference between a £1.50 bus fare and paying nearly £100 for seats on an airplane.
    Also tall people was just rock up to the aircraft and demand the premium seats,infact it would be farcical watching them claim " i am taller than you so i want the seat ".
    It is also picking on small people
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    I think there is a major difference between a £1.50 bus fare and paying nearly £100 for seats on an airplane.
    What airline charges £100 to reserve a seat?? You can't count the ticket price as everyone pays that.

And have you been on a bus recently? £1.50 wouldn't get you to the next stop these days. Last time I was on a bus it was £4.50 for a return, for a 20 minute journey. Not vastly different from airlines' seat reservation charge, in fact more per minute!
    Also tall people was just rock up to the aircraft and demand the premium seats,infact it would be farcical watching them claim " i am taller than you so i want the seat ".
    It is also picking on small people
    Yeah it must be hilarious watching others struggle when you could help them but don't.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    Nick_C
    What airline charges £100 to reserve a seat??
    BA charges £99 to reserve some seats. See post 43 above.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 7:10 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    BA charges £99 to reserve some seats. See post 43 above.
    OK, but that's business prices which are a rip-off - and I don't think even a basketball pro would have legroom problem in business!

The issue arises more on budget airlines & charters, where the seat reservation charge is certainly comparable to a bus fare per hour travelling time.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 18th Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ganga
    What airline charges £100 to reserve a seat?? You can't count the ticket price as everyone pays that.

And have you been on a bus recently? £1.50 wouldn't get you to the next stop these days. Last time I was on a bus it was £4.50 for a return, for a 20 minute journey. Not vastly different from airlines' seat reservation charge, in fact more per minute!
    Yeah it must be hilarious watching others struggle when you could help them but don't.
    Thomson short haul £30 each return
    Thomson long haul £50 each return

As for the bus fares,here in the NE we can travel a long way for £1.50
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 18th Apr 17, 7:31 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    Nick_C
    OK, but that's business prices which are a rip-off
    Its BA who are the rip off. I don't know of any other airline that charges Business Class passengers for reserving a seat. Certainly its free on AA (and a much better product).
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 7:41 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    Thomson short haul £30 each return
    Thomson long haul £50 each return
    OK, so on my 4.5 hour flight to the Canaries, 9 hours return, that would have been £3.33 per hour.

A 20 min bus journey that cost £1.50 is a higher price per hour.

So the prices are comparable. So no excuse not to give up your seat for someone who needs it more
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    Its BA who are the rip off. I don't know of any other airline that charges Business Class passengers for reserving a seat. Certainly its free on AA (and a much better product).
    IME even in economy most scheduled airlines don't charge for seat reservation. It's mainly budget and charters.
    • BUKI
    • By BUKI 19th Apr 17, 12:35 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    BUKI
    Hello all

woww... I see a lot of replies / opinions and even some "angry" comments.
    People, do not simply judge anybody without knowing some other facts.

I got this holiday as a sponsor (would not efford it on my own)
    secondly, the booking had been done by somebody else (as I was not able to due ...)

the person who did the booking was not the sponsor, he thought that the checking
    can be done at later stage, THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??

So, then I login to go the onlin checking 6 days before the flight, and boooooooom, error appeared with unable to checkin please go to the desk bla bla bla. When speaking / chating with the online agaent they said that the online checking is limited (of which I was not aware of) and is now closed!!

Eitherway, at the time he said there are only 2 seats but again not adjecent!
    So, I said no I rather will speak to the DESK people ... of which I think might not be worth it.

But yeh, my question here was about whether somebody been through same issues
    and how they overcome this at the airport - or possibly asking the stewardess if they can allocate us a seat together - in hope there might be some "single persons willing to give up their seat??

So yeh, that is all I can do now by the looks of it.

WHY DID I NOT PAY FOR THE EXTREA ROOM KNOWING MY WIFE IS AFFRAID OF FLYING??

My wife is not mentally ill , she simply is scared of hight and would make her feel much safer with me closer to her. Again, why paying for the silly £70 which is peanut to some of you - and we are still siting apart? would you pay it if you would sit apart? surely not!!

my flight is on 20th now, and hoping the seating allocation won't be an issue.
    We plan to be there from 7am and be the first one for the checkin.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

462Posts Today

4,225Users online

Martin's Twitter