Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annel
    • By Annel 13th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Annel
    Changing to Freeview?
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    Changing to Freeview? 13th Apr 17 at 7:47 PM
    Would love some advice, please.
    At present we have Virginmedia TV, Phone (landline) and Broadband. We have been happy with the setup and their customer service has been excellent.
    However, as we are near retirement age, we would like to reduce our outgoings and are considering using the Freeview alternative. We already subscribe to Netflix. We have a Samsung Smart TV.
    We realise that we would lose quite a lot of channels and would probably need a recorder as we like to watch complete series rather than single episodes.
    We need to keep a landline and broadband; we would consider continuing with Virginmedia unless there's a suitable, cheaper alternative.
    We know very little about NowTV/Amazon Fire, etc, so would welcome suggestions to help us understand what would be a good way forward for us after our present contract ends in June.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Apr 17, 9:23 AM
    • 9,368 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:23 AM
    • 14th Apr 17, 9:23 AM
    First decide what channels are a must .
    Then find who and how supplied .
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 14th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Rodders53
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    Do you have a working UHF TV aerial? If no then you'll need one installed.

Where do you live? What transmitter do you receive? That will define what channels you can receive from a terrestrial aerial. { http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ will give you Freeview reception predictions: consumer view = likely channels received; detailed view = more technical data regarding transmitter, pointing direction etc.,.).
    • Annel
    • By Annel 14th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Annel
    • 14th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    Yes, we have a working UHF TV aerial. It needs extending as it serves only the back rooms of the house at present. We have checked the channels we can receive from Emley Moor. I think the only channels we would miss, which we get with Virginmedia, are BT Sport and Eurosport (we are Tour de France fans).
    Looking at the Virgin website, there doesn't appear to be much of a saving if we keep only the landline and broadband!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 14th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 14th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    I binned VM tv and landline last year and have gone BB only. When speaking to them they told me 94% of what I watch is on freeview so it was a no brainer.

I paid £42 for a Youview Humax DTR-T1000 500 GB Digital TV Recorder from ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Youview-Humax-DTR-T1000-500-GB-Digital-TV-Recorder-/182526356957?hash=item2a7f6b2ddd:g:OjoAAOSwB-1YrX~m

so I can record anything I need. I have Amazon Prime (amazing value) and I have never looked back- the whole set up was less than a months bill to VM. Wish I'd done it sooner- save enough each year for two weeks in Turkey.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • victor2
    • By victor2 14th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    victor2
    • 14th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 7:06 PM
    We manage fine with a Samsung smart TV, Netflix and Freeview.
    Most programmes we want to see but miss are available on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 catchup services, but only for a limited time of course. Do sometimes watch complete seasons of something through Netflix, assuming they have it.
    Not huge sports fans, except for F1 and currently happy watching the highlights of the races not shown live on C4. If/when Sky get total control over F1 TV, I will refuse to pay specifically to watch it, so will become an ex-fan I suppose.
    We have a PVR, but hardly ever use it. Handy for fast-forwarding through the adverts on stuff you have recorded though, and it has DVD player.

Play the "I'm thinking of leaving" game with Virgin and see what deal they will give you to stay with just phone and Broadband.
    • Annel
    • By Annel 14th Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Annel
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Youview-Humax-DTR-T1000-500-GB-Digital-TV-Recorder-/182526356957?hash=item2a7f6b2ddd:g:OjoAAOSwB-1YrX~m

Ordered one - thanks!
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 15th Apr 17, 12:29 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 15th Apr 17, 12:29 AM
    • 15th Apr 17, 12:29 AM
    Tour de France is on ITV4 (freeview channel 24). Live coverage and highlights.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Apr 17, 7:26 AM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Apr 17, 7:26 AM
    • 15th Apr 17, 7:26 AM
    I find the box easier to use than VM, you can also jump forward by a minute at a time so four presses takes you through the ad break in two seconds. The App (iPad linked to box) is great for setting up recordings and gives seven day listings. If I'm honest, I can't fault it, even the online functions such as Now tv are good.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Annel
    • By Annel 20th Apr 17, 11:43 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Annel
    I have now received the DVR T1000 and, as we don't have an aerial for Freeview to our main TV yet (will be fixed before we leave Virginmedia), I have been trying it out on an old TV which we have upstairs. I used a SCART lead as there's no HDMI and it works just fine. Obviously, I can't connect to the Internet.

Another question. When we get Freeview on our main TV, shall we need to buy a new router to replace the one provided by Virgin? If so, any recommendations please?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 20th Apr 17, 12:41 PM
    • 6,884 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    almillar
    You'll need a new router, because Virgin will want theirs back, and it's only good for a cable (Virgin) connection. You'll need to find another ISP (Internet Service Provider), and will be looking for ADSL or Fibre (FTTC, Fibre to the Cabinet).
    The good news, though, is that whoever you get your internet from, will usually provide a free modem/router.
    • Annel
    • By Annel 20th Apr 17, 12:51 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Annel
    If we stay with Virginmedia for broadband and landline?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 20th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    victor2
    If we stay with Virginmedia for broadband and landline?
    Originally posted by Annel
    Then you'll keep their router, but if you leave altogether it will no longer function, even if they don't ask for it back. You will get a new router from a new provider though.
    • Annel
    • By Annel 20th Apr 17, 2:04 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Annel
    Thank you.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    • 29,360 Posts
    • 18,565 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You can buy your own modem router to use instead of the 1 supplied by the ISP or set the new 1 up as just a router. Might be easier if you just use the 1 from the ISP.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If you only had the basic Virgin tv package, it wasn't even as good as Freeview plus a recorder,as like Sky they charge for some stations that are not on Freesat but are on Freeview (Dave comes to mind).

Last year I cancelled Sky's Original tv package and made do with Freeview and the Smart facility of our Panasonic tv. I got out the old Humax, but didn't actual install it (lost the HDMI cable or thought I had ) and found the Freeview and Smart quite adequate.

The only reason we are back with Sky is that there was a very good offer of 75% off plus £100 credit, but they are very unlikely to repeat this, so we will be back to Freeview, Humax and Smart with no great loss. ( I'm using Cinema, because we have not had it before , but otherwise do watch more free tv than paid for.)
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Apr 17, 7:51 PM
    • 29,360 Posts
    • 18,565 Thanks
    DCFC79
    As for the question about Now TV and Amazon Fire TV, they are platforms you can view film's or TV shows. Now TV is more a catchup service or its 1 of the benefits, well Channel 4 is the only terrestrial channel thats on there, a couple of Sky channels and some others you can get on Virgin TV.

This lists the devices you need to watch Now TV http://www.nowtv.com/devices

Amazon Fire is more of a way to watch a variety of TV boxsets or films, some are free and some you can buy or rent.

More on Amazon Fire is here https://recombu.com/digital/article/how-can-i-watch-amazon-prime-on-tv.

As well as Now TV you can view Amazon TV on a variety of devices, can try either service before you spend money on a dedicated device if you so wish.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 20-04-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Annel
    • By Annel 30th May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Annel
    We have decided to take up the current BT offer for broadband and phone, it's much cheaper than Virginmedia are offering us .

We understand that BT will take care of the changeover but, having read an article online, it may be that we should contact Virgin ourselves.

BT have given us a date of 13 June for installing the phone line and broadband. Our current contract deal with Virgin TV/Broadband ends on 2 June (although our line rental is paid up to 24 July).

Advice on any action we should take would be appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,413Users online

Martin's Twitter