Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • szam_
    • By szam_ 13th Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    • 615Posts
    • 568Thanks
    szam_
    CreditStyle - Chased for non-existent debt?
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    CreditStyle - Chased for non-existent debt? 13th Apr 17 at 7:11 PM
    Evening,

Just had an amusing letter in my OH's name chasing a debt of £1600+ for a debt with energy supplier Spark. I can post a redacted image of the letter if you're curious.

It's from a company called CreditStyle - a quick google doesn't really give me many results on them in relation to energy debts.

Firstly, we have never had an account with Spark - the property it is speaking about was always with Scottish Power and later British Gas and was settled.

Secondly, she has never held an account with an energy supplier, she was with her parents before she moved in with me and energy accounts have always been in my name. Currently trying to query this with Spark and waiting while typing this.

Is this a scam or have experience with them? It seems really weird how they have all of our details that match up but we've never been a customer with them.

Cheers.
    XBL: xSzam

Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 11,929 Posts
    • 11,417 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    Not heard of that motley crew, but then there are so many DCA's these days.
    Best response is the "provit" letter, see how they respond :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • szam_
    • By szam_ 13th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    szam_
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    Cheers.

I've just spoken to Spark themselves. I missed a crucial detail on the letter, it states between 28th Feb 2016 (the date out tenancy ran out after our old LL told us to leave at the end of it as he was selling instead of repairing all the things wrong with it) to March 2017. 2017 is what I missed, because why would I believe we still had an account there?

Spark were pretty helpful, they can't action anything because the OH is at work, but I gave them enough information.

Turns out the debt is real, but should not be our problem. I am not entirely sure how this has come about but after some digging and putting 2 and 2 together:

- the supplier was switched on the date our tenancy ran out (28th Feb 2016).
    - the house has been unoccupied and up for sale since that date until March 2017.
    - the house has just been sold (March/April 2017, subject to conditions).
    - we suddenly get a debt collection letter in my OH's name, who has never had her name on an energy supply before, from the date our tenancy ran out to March 2017.

Spark have records of my OH's name being supplied, but can't tell me when it was as she it at work at the moment, but the guy I spoke to at Spark can see what the problem is.

To me, it seems someone (probably the LL) has supplied Spark with her name (possibly when switched on the date our tenancy ran out?) because if they were just trying to deduce who last occupied the property and chase them, they should have gotten my name as I was the account holder with a different supplier prior to us leaving. Otherwise, how would he have switched supplier on the date we moved out with his own name, and then switch it back on us?

Awesome start to the bank holiday weekend, eh?
    Last edited by szam_; 13-04-2017 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Fixing typos etc.
    XBL: xSzam

• Spark Energy: Jenny
      Verified User verified user
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 20th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Spark Energy: Jenny
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    Hi szam_

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Has your OH been in touch with us yet? If not please ask her to drop us a line at the email address listed in my profile. I'm here until 6pm today and in between 8am and 6pm tomorrow and then out of the office next week, but there will be someone monitoring that email address and they will be able to help.

We'd need your OH to confirm their full name, their full supply address and their contact email address if they get in touch.

Happy to help if it's needed.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

1,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin