Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robbiedodds22
    • By robbiedodds22 13th Apr 17, 1:01 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    robbiedodds22
    VAT Payments
    • 13th Apr 17, 1:01 PM
    VAT Payments 13th Apr 17 at 1:01 PM
    hello,

I would like to get some clarity on a matter i have.

I have deregistered from VAT and recieved my certificate of conformation. I have sent my certificate to the company i am working for and have recieved recipt of it being recieved. They assured me it would reflect in my next wage.

As time has gone by i have now noticed they have paid me 20% more on my gross weekly amount which i have used and spent.

Where do i stand now with this?

Regards
Page 1
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 13th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 13,037 Posts
    • 11,104 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 13th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    Tell them, arrange to get the money back to them.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 13th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 13th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    If you were not invoicing them were they using authenticated receipts? If so the VAT would be seen on them. They would have to issue credit notes to cancel the original values then issue correct ones, without VAT. You are due the company the VAT back. I would imagine they would not pay you for future work but use it as set off.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    Does the payment relate to work done or invoiced by you before your deregistration date? This could lead to confusion regarding whether or not to add VAT. Are you certain that your invoice had no VAT number on it? It is one of the possible dangers of using a template invoice.
    • robbiedodds22
    • By robbiedodds22 18th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robbiedodds22
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    Hello Eveyone,

I do not invoice the company i just fill out a timesheet & they pay me to my timesheet. I did send them my deregistration form and they said it would reflect in my wages and it hasnt as they are still paying me VAT.

I have an email from them saying that it was all recieved. I have do produce an invoice but for my own benift which i have now taken off the VAT number.
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 18th Apr 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:13 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:13 PM
    Hello Eveyone,

I do not invoice the company i just fill out a timesheet & they pay me to my timesheet. I did send them my deregistration form and they said it would reflect in my wages and it hasnt as they are still paying me VAT.

I have an email from them saying that it was all recieved. I have do produce an invoice but for my own benift which i have now taken off the VAT number.
    Originally posted by robbiedodds22
    Before you de-registered for VAT, if you were not producing invoices then your customer must have had a self billing arrangement or possibly uses authenticated VAT receipts as alluded to earlier by comeandgo.

Either way the VAT would be clearly shown.

As you have now de-registered for VAT, you should not be paid VAT inclusive amounts.
    Contact the payer and explain the situation.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 7,545 Posts
    • 8,365 Thanks
    pelirocco
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    Hello Eveyone,

Originally posted by robbiedodds22
    Not are they only falling foul of VAT regulations , I suspect they are also falling foul of PAYE rules too, as of course if they are paying you vat, it implies you are self employed , and therefore cannot be paid 'wages'
    Do you have a limited company set up , from which you are supplying invoices?
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • robbiedodds22
    • By robbiedodds22 18th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robbiedodds22
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    Hi

Yes i am trading as a Ltd Company yes. I am just going to contact them as its been a mistake on there behalf that needs rectifiying. I will just have to arrage for it to come out of my wages week by week
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin