Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 13th Apr 17, 7:43 AM
    • 7,379Posts
    • 16,175Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Little things to improve appearance
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:43 AM
    Little things to improve appearance 13th Apr 17 at 7:43 AM
    I don't want to be high maintenance - that's not me - buuuut as I'm cracking on a bit I've discovered I don't like what I see in the mirror very much.

So - what little things help you get out of bed looking awesome?

I have started body brushing in the mornings, drink lots of water, and try to get plenty of sleep. I also exercise regularly.

Any ideas? Also any ideas on a very light moisturiser? Is it possible to get balm or gel style ones?

TIA!

(A useless at girl-ing) HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
Page 1
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 13th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 13th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    My skin improved and has a glow to it since taking Omega 3, not eating refined carbs and eating more fat in my diet.
    I've had a number of compliments on how good my skin looks.
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 13th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 13th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 13th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    I hate the "claggy" feel of heavy moisturiser on my skin, and would highly recommend Liz Earle's Skin Repair Light.

Alternately there are a number of serums about now which are beautifully light. I recently tried one from Aldi and it's lovely, so no need to spend a fortune.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    I'm with you there!! I've always looked younger than my age (a real pain at 18!!) - but now I find I have to work harder at it...

Attitude plays a big part - a happy face is always going to look better than a sad/cross one, no matter how many wrinkles you have or how grey your hair is.

This is what I do - and it seems to be working.
    - my hair is almost completely white, and I used to have it dyed a red/brown. On the advice of my hairdresser I slowly went brown/pale brown/blonde, and now the roots don't show.
    - I wear varifocals, which means I can't see to pluck my eyebrows, so I get them done professionally every three months or so
    - I moisturise. The important thing is to actually do it - you can have a really expensive jar in the drawer, but if you never use it, it won't do you any good.
    - I eat sensible quantities of good food, and I exercise without being obsessive about it.
    - I spend a lot of time and money choosing the right glasses. It's the only item of 'clothing' that I wear every single day, whatever the occasion, and whatever else I'm wearing, so they have to be right.

Also - forget what looked good on you 20/30 (or in my case, 40) years ago. Be flexible, never say never. A session with a personal shopper gave me the confidence to wear skinny jeans!! I went to Debenhams, the sessions are completely free, and there is no pressure to buy (although there's not a lot of point in doing it if you're not going to buy something).

Enjoy finding the new you!!
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 13th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 16,175 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 13th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    Thank you TS! I may visit a personal shopper. I am determined to be a little bit sophisticated

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    Sophisticated is good. Go for it!!
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 13th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 13th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 13th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    Alternately there are a number of serums about now which are beautifully light. I recently tried one from Aldi and it's lovely, so no need to spend a fortune.
    Originally posted by Placitasgirl
    The Simply Pure serum from Superdrug is really good and is very cheap - it's about £2.60-ish, and it's often on offer.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th Apr 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 2,858 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:10 PM
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:10 PM
    This is a lovely light moisturiser

https://www.lemonskincare.com/products/active-moist-100ml?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant= 20363932231&gclid=Cj0KEQjwicfHBRCh6KaMp4-asKgBEiQA8GH2xyJMDh8yjosMS6sHz6SL_6IfPNzKOMV34L1p7 UBbCYkaAodm8P8HAQ
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 15th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 11,806 Thanks
    krlyr
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    Clean eating has helped my complexion a lot.

Something I've started using since Christmas is eyebrow powder. I was using a pencil for a couple of months beforehand, but the powder gives a much more natural finish. Both definitely make a difference, my eyebrows are shaped but a little sparse despite efforts to grow them out. It only takes 30 seconds or so to apply, but well worth it.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 15th Apr 17, 10:25 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    asajj
    I found Superdrug vitamin E series great value for money.
    I've reduced my dairy consumption and it is helping my skin (I noticed my hormonal acne would get worse if I eat to much cheese etc). I also drink less alcohol and eat less sugar.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 18th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 16,175 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    I ended up buying a few travel size moisturisers and getting a few samples and giving them a go - I've ended up with a bottle of Simple's Light variant.

I've also been body brushing in the mornings and making baths a pampering thing rather than just a wash - it's helped me relax more

HBS x
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 18th Apr 17, 1:18 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Thank you TS! I may visit a personal shopper. I am determined to be a little bit sophisticated

HBS x
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    I used a free session with John Lewis and they were great.

No pressure to buy, gave sensible options and happy for me to buy two dresses knowing I was going to finally decide at home and then return one of them later.
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 18th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    pandora205
    Something I've noticed that makes a big difference to how old I look is posture. I had noted that I was looking quite round shouldered in photos, perhaps not surprising as I spend quite a bit of time at a desk. After searching around on Youtube I found some useful videos including this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzd_nFzj0Y
    Since then I've tried to correct myself when I find myself slipping into bad habits.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 16,413 Thanks
    Missli
    Heartbreak Star I'm with you on not liking what I see in the mirror some mornings, and Im certainly not getting any younger. Green Tea is beneficial but I can get a bit bored of it. Not sure it's better than water.
    I do like getting my eyebrows waxed every few weeks. It only costs about £6 and is an inexpensive way of getting a lift.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 19th Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 16,175 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    I do love my Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee so it's my caffeine hit haha!

Have you tried threading? I find it gives a more defined brow shape

HBS x
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 19-04-2017 at 9:50 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Missli
    • By Missli 19th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 16,413 Thanks
    Missli
    I do love my Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee so it's my caffeine hit haha!

Have you tried threading? I find it gives a more defined brow shape

HBS x
    My natural brow shape is fine, they've just got thicker as I've got older. I've not tried threading, but my local salon does a great job of them for a bargain price.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 14,433 Posts
    • 56,927 Thanks
    Judi
    My natural brow shape is fine, they've just got thicker as I've got older.
    oh lucky you, mine have got finer and more sparse as i got older.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Missli
    • By Missli 19th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 16,413 Thanks
    Missli
    I wish I had that problem. My hair just grows too fast everywhere.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 20th Apr 17, 8:33 AM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 16,175 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    We always what what we don't have haha, I have very sleek, straight hair and have to use loads of time and product to get it wavy and bouncy, but my friend who has crazy hair would love mine!

Went for a lovely run this morning but rather tired now

HBS x
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 21st Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    BOBS
    We always what what we don't have haha, I have very sleek, straight hair and have to use loads of time and product to get it wavy and bouncy, but my friend who has crazy hair would love mine!

Went for a lovely run this morning but rather tired now

HBS x
    I am with yout fiend - I spend a fortune trying to have sleek straight hair. Mind is an unruly wavy thick mess which requires lots of serum and GHD's. Took a nice beach walk yesterday and returned looking like the mad scientist - couldnt even do coffee it was so bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,067Posts Today

6,603Users online

Martin's Twitter