Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Exerbusi2
    • By Exerbusi2 12th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 232Posts
    • 152Thanks
    Exerbusi2
    I'm a Personal Trainer - What do you guys do to stay fit?
    • 12th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    I'm a Personal Trainer - What do you guys do to stay fit? 12th Apr 17 at 9:28 PM
    Hi everyone!

Seeing as this is the fitness corner of the forum, I'm interested to know what do you guys do to stay fit and healthy?

I'm a personal trainer and fitness blogger, so am always interested in hearing about what people do to stay fit and healthy!

I'll start. My training consists of the following...
    • Olympic Weightlifting
    • General Strength Training
    • Road Cycling
    • HIIT
    • Yoga (a little)
    • 5 a side football (occassionally)

My main training is the Olympic Weight Lifting and the HIIT, but in the summer I'm out on the bike a lot and quite like a weekly HIIT session.

I'm in the gym around 5 times per week, 45-60 minutes per session.

How about you guys?
    Loan £5000 £0; Overdraft £700 £0
    Savings £0 +£1500; Share Portfolio £0 +£4000
    £0 Credit Card £6800 £1700
Page 2
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 19th Apr 17, 11:24 PM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 5,087 Thanks
    prosaver
    In my late fifties now, and used to compete at cycling, badminton, running, cricket, tennis and football in my younger years. I now go five times a week to the gym, spending an hour there, mixing cardio, resistance and weights, starting off with a warm up (dynamic stretches), doing the main work then stretching out at the end.
    I used to be a 3 hour marathoner, and could do 2500 metres on a Cyclops rower in 8 minutes 35 seconds, but those days are long gone.
    I qualified as a level 2 fitness instructor last year - something I am very proud of.
    Originally posted by andygb
    I used to love badminton not too stressful maybe go to over 50s thing and show off.
    I might do it, getting bored with the same old gym stuff
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 21st Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    • 4,290 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    jack_pott
    My cycling FTP (Functional Threshold Power) is 295 watts
    Originally posted by brat
    Is that measured on a dynamometer? Do you know what your time is for a Bruce test?
    • brat
    • By brat 21st Apr 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    Is that measured on a dynamometer? Do you know what your time is for a Bruce test?
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    The FTP is measured at 95% of average power over 20 minutes of top power. I did it on my Wahoo Kickr using the Trainerroad app.

I've never done a Bruce test, although I do a 15m beep test each year. We are required to reach level 9.4. My last beep test was 13.1.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 21st Apr 17, 11:29 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    I have a PT 3x a week, and so bench press, deadlift, back squats and really fun stuff like 120kg tyre flips, battleropes etc. Best thing I ever did and I never thought i'd get to 25 on toes/1 leg press ups, let alone at my size!

Sometimes swim a couple of times a week but depends on health x
    • warriorsq
    • By warriorsq 24th Apr 17, 3:27 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    warriorsq
    I'm 48 and run 1600-2000 miles a year mostly long distance and ultras. I also cycle 3000 plus a year although cycling is mostly made up of commuting to work each day. I did the Centurion Grand Slam last year which is 4x100 mile nonstop ultras in 6 months all sub 24h which I'm really proud of as well as a sub 40min 10k and sub 1:30 half
    Last edited by warriorsq; 24-04-2017 at 3:29 PM.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 24th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    Arkers
    .....wrong side of 45, but during the week I try to do: Bodyattack class, swimming (2000m per session x2), spin, zumba and Yoga. I'm fitter now then I ever had been, but can't run for toffee would rather undertake a class or swim.
    Doesn't matter what you do so long as you're moving.

Arkers x
    • pink princess
    • By pink princess 26th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 11,866 Posts
    • 34,902 Thanks
    pink princess
    I'm 48 and run 1600-2000 miles a year mostly long distance and ultras. I also cycle 3000 plus a year although cycling is mostly made up of commuting to work each day. I did the Centurion Grand Slam last year which is 4x100 mile nonstop ultras in 6 months all sub 24h which I'm really proud of as well as a sub 40min 10k and sub 1:30 half
    Originally posted by warriorsq
    That's impressive!
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
    • warriorsq
    • By warriorsq 26th Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    warriorsq
    That's impressive!
    Originally posted by pink princess
    Thanks! I always say the best decision I ever made was not learning to drive or i'd be 20 stone now. You run 30 miles a week which is good and good luck with the half marathons
    Last edited by warriorsq; 26-04-2017 at 9:34 PM.
    • Zzelonzi
    • By Zzelonzi 28th Apr 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zzelonzi
    Hello! I'm 25, female. I trained in a gym (3-4 times per week, for 60-90 minutes) for last 3 month. Before that, I did some exercises at home and cycled during summer. I've learned a lot through the years of workouts, so now I train on my own.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 28th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 4,895 Posts
    • 16,304 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I run ....

Average around 50 miles a week. Incorporates intervals, hills, tempo, easy and recovery runs.

Also do circuits and badminton as cross training.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • pink princess
    • By pink princess 30th Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 11,866 Posts
    • 34,902 Thanks
    pink princess
    I run ....

Average around 50 miles a week. Incorporates intervals, hills, tempo, easy and recovery runs.

Also do circuits and badminton as cross training.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Do you do any cadence training?
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 16th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Learnt to swim 2 years ago as an adult and now swim at least 3 times a week, mainly front crawl but other strokes too, swim between 20 and 50 lengths each session, try to do longer swims without stopping mixed in with sprints. I love it. I also do an exercise in water class once a week. I walk lots. I visit the gym every so often, where I row, cycle, brisk walk (up steep gradients). Never got into running or team sports. Used to suffer from terrible lower back pain but no longer since I got into swimming.
    • Angela
    • By Angela 16th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    Angela
    I had never been in a gym up till 2 years ago.
    I'm nearly 55 and am addicted to it now.
    I do loads probably too much.
    Loads of classes core,kettle bells,body pump,Zumba step,Zumba,Hitt,TRX.
    I never go into the gym with the equipment I only do classes, I feel it keeps me motivated more having to keep up with everyone else.
    So happy with the toning that has come with my training.
    Feel so much better in the head as well.
    My business has got busier too so perhaps that is an offshot of training.
    • HoneyOnThePavement
    • By HoneyOnThePavement 13th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    HoneyOnThePavement
    I always went jogging, had a bike, went to the dancing studio and had fitness 3 times a week. But was overweight. Lost over 20 kg after giving a birth ant quitting all the sport activities.
    • Lukoind
    • By Lukoind 13th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lukoind
    Hello, I go to gym every two days.
    Sometimes running marathons.
    Eating a lot, still can't gain weight .
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 13th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 6,386 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I did very little after leaving school in 1974 ! I retired at 54 and quickly piled on the weight, (having been in a busy stressful job that allowed me to keep the weight off). At age 58 I decided to lose weight before I hit 60. 2.5 stones lighter after 18 months and my GP referred me to the local council leisure centre for a free 6 month gym membership and monitored programme (technogym with the key thingy).

What a revelation ! I loved it and lost a further 1.5 stones within a year. Two years on and no weight gain, I now do 2 aquarobics sessions a week, a forever fit for 50+ class, a stretch class. I still use the gym equipment occasionally.

I've also taken up swimming again, first time since I was 15, apart from splashing around a hotel pool. So far I've managed quarter of a mile and my target is half a mile by end of this year. Also got a basic Fitbit and walk more but rarely hit 10,000 steps per day.

I'm not much good at any of this but I enjoy it and it's got to be Some benefit ?

I would like to do something to build and tone muscles but no idea how or even if it's possible as I cruise toward 62 in Sept ? Any ideas ?
    • benten69
    • By benten69 27th Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    benten69
    I'm a 30 year old male who is now in reasonable shape, but still a long way to go. Started off at 11st 9.2lb at the end of last year and I'm now down to 10st 5lb. Of that wight loss, 1st 0.9lb is from bodyfat and the remaining 3.3lb is water weight / lean mass which is pretty good.

I'm currently at my lowest ever weight, body fat percentage & BMI (not that BMI means anything).

I used to go to the gym and try to do a bit of cardio on the treadmill then move onto weight machines, but I never really felt like I knew what I was doing and I would yo-yo with my fitness levels all the time.

However I started doing T25 / Insanity DVD's and found that they were great for me. Lots of body weight /free weight exercises and lots cardio all put into a 25 minute or 60 minute slot, especially focusing on the core.

I do a lot of (motor)bike track days and find that it's helped with my fitness immensely. I used to come in at the end of the day exhausted. However a few months ago I did 4 consecutive days on the bike in Spain and the worst I had was a bit of a sore shoulder from the braking forces.

A lot of people don't think you need to be fit to ride a bike fast on track, but believe me, you really do! Makes an incredible amount of difference.
    Last edited by benten69; 27-06-2017 at 7:23 AM.
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £121.22
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 70.7% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | June '17: £154,432.16

• HBFS
    • By HBFS 4th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    HBFS
    Still mid-30's

I go 4 times a week, about 70 mins per session.

I vary my routine; mostly bodyweight exercises with kettlebells but also core work, weights etc.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
    • Huwbert
    • By Huwbert 13th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Huwbert
    Bouldering is ace, never gets boring and gives an adrenaline rush as well as a workout!
    • carlosv
    • By carlosv 13th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carlosv
    Do you know guys about Insanity workout? How is the power of that program? Does it really work?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

534Posts Today

4,248Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin