Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 12th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 307Posts
    • 200Thanks
    rjwr
    Upsizing for the first time
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    Upsizing for the first time 12th Apr 17 at 5:35 PM
    My wife and I are considering upsizing for the first time. Our place has been valued and we have an idea of the amount of money available for a different property. We are quite fortunate that the original sellers of this house were desperate and sold it for significantly less than I thought they would.

We are unsure whether to remain in this house mainly due to the privacy that we have here. Both front and rear gardens are enclosed and there is no passing traffic on foot or by road. The nearest road is 50+ meters away and is a dead end. (we access our house by a lane for the three properties here.)

Looking at the property market we could buy a significantly larger property with the finance options we have available, which has generated some curiosity from us both. That said, the only extra space we would need is for our pair of Siberian Huskies, so that's garden space!

I am concerned about the current property market and making a jump too quick, we have been here a year. Is anyone else going through these thought patterns at present and if so what are you thinking?
Page 1
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 12th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    amateur house
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    I am looking for a smaller property so am moving (or hoping to) in the opposite direction to you.

I am amazed that you have been living in your current house only a year and are considering moving already, I have been searching for a house since Dec 2015. It sounds like you are in a fortunate position to be able to afford to buy a larger property so soon.

It depends on how the market is in your area, but here the prices do seem to have gone up in the past 18 months and don't show any sign of slowing down. There is very little coming on to the market so anything that does gets sold very quickly. Where you are now sounds idyllic, peaceful and no passing traffic. Though if you need a bigger garden and see a house you prefer to the one you are in now then I would go for it in your position.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 10th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    rjwr
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    im looking for land =result
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,717Users online

Martin's Twitter