Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Apr 17, 3:44 PM
    • 39,704Posts
    • 79,466Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Where to go in Ireland and Norn Iron.
    • 12th Apr 17, 3:44 PM
    Where to go in Ireland and Norn Iron. 12th Apr 17 at 3:44 PM
    I am in the early stages of planning a grand tour of Eire/NI and wondering if anyone has any bright ideas of places to visit and or stay.

The rough idea is to arrive in Dublin on a ferry from Wales sometime in early September, and proceed in a roughly clockwise direction, ending in NI at or near the Giants Causeway before crossing back into England about 3 weeks later.
    I'm thinking we would to stay in about four to six different locations and visit the sites within an hour or two drive at each way-point.

We will be a family of four, including the Outlaws, both of whom have mobility issues. We will be travelling in our beast of a seven seat car, but with the rear triple seat removed to make room for at least one mobility scooter.

We like countryside/seaside, so views of hills and vales, and waterfalls, and wildlife. We also like old buildings/castles etcetera, but obviously disabled access will feature in places we can all look around.

We love old trains so any steam or narrow gauge railway will be a distinct possibility. (There's one near the Giant's Causeway so that is a given at the moment.)

The only other specific place we have found so far that we would like to visit is the Shannon estuary to see the resident pod of dolphins, although the whole of the wild Atlantic Coast looks interesting, provided we can get near to it by car at various points. We have a bunch of guide books and we've been trawling the internet, but there is a bit too much information to take it all in at the moment.

We had a mini break in Co Wicklow a couple of years ago, including a day out in Dublin (and a little know stout brewery there ) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has whetted our appetites and we want to see more of this beautiful country.

So, where should we go, what should we do, and what should we see, bearing in mind we will be stopping for about three to four days in about four to six locations?

Thanks.

The Family Fruity
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Page 1
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 12th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    • 12th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    My suggestion would be:

Dublin, Meath (Newgrange, hill of Tara etc)

The head south - Cork & Kerry (especially Killarney and the Gap of Dungloe)

Then head up the West coast - and see the Burren and Connemara.

Then the North West - Sligo, Donegal & Derry - My personal favourite is Donegal - Glenveagh National Park, Portnoo/Narin Strand, and Dungloe area

Then North and North East - Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, Glens of Antrim.
    Mourne Coast Route (St Patricks Trail and Mourne Mountains, silent valley, strangford lough)

Finally - Belfast and then home (assuming you are getting the boat/plane from Belfast)
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 12th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 12th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    In Dublin I recommend a traditional Irish music pub crawl if you like that sort of thing and head towards temple bar although it is a street and not just one bar it a good night out, Load of nice places to eat around there to.

You could try the Dublin ghost tour plus the castle and if you are heading to Cork go and see the Blarney stone and the ring of Kerry railway trip.

As for the north Giants causeway is good to go but priced up a bit now around 60-80 I think for 4 with parking, head to the game of thrones tour if they are not filming and also I would suggest a look at the Titanic Qtr Belfast and the Crumlin road prison if you like that sort of thing.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    • 39,704 Posts
    • 79,466 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    My suggestion would be:

Dublin, Meath (Newgrange, hill of Tara etc)

The head south - Cork & Kerry (especially Killarney and the Gap of Dungloe)

Then head up the West coast - and see the Burren and Connemara.

Then the North West - Sligo, Donegal & Derry - My personal favourite is Donegal - Glenveagh National Park, Portnoo/Narin Strand, and Dungloe area

Then North and North East - Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, Glens of Antrim.
    Mourne Coast Route (St Patricks Trail and Mourne Mountains, silent valley, strangford lough)

Finally - Belfast and then home (assuming you are getting the boat/plane from Belfast)
    Originally posted by Tammykitty
    That's brilliant. It's exactly what we are after, thanks! I'm not sure how we are getting home yet but we might go from Larne to Scotland rather than Belfast to Liverpuddle. Getting the car on a plane might be a bit of a problem, so I thiunk we shall go by ferry instead.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 12-04-2017 at 5:01 PM.
    I don't have a sister.

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    • 39,704 Posts
    • 79,466 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:21 PM
    In Dublin I recommend a traditional Irish music pub crawl if you like that sort of thing and head towards temple bar although it is a street and not just one bar it a good night out, Load of nice places to eat around there to.

You could try the Dublin ghost tour plus the castle and if you are heading to Cork go and see the Blarney stone and the ring of Kerry railway trip.

As for the north Giants causeway is good to go but priced up a bit now around 60-80 I think for 4 with parking, head to the game of thrones tour if they are not filming and also I would suggest a look at the Titanic Qtr Belfast and the Crumlin road prison if you like that sort of thing.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    On my own I would do a lot of walking around a city like Dublin, but the rest of the clan aren't that bothered, especially as we've been to Dublin before.
    Small towns and villages plus countryside is more our thing.
    I've been told by a friend that there is another Titanic exhibition in Cobh near Cork, so I'll look into that.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 12th Apr 17, 4:23 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:23 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:23 PM
    Some of the steam trains in existence are

Downpatrick (Co Down - North East) - Short but pleasuarable train from Downpatrick train to inch abbey - with a railway museum attached

Bushmills (Near Giant's Causeway)

and a lot in the South
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heritage_railways_in_the_Republic_of_Irela nd
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 39,704 Posts
    • 79,466 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    Some of the steam trains in existence are

Downpatrick (Co Down - North East) - Short but pleasuarable train from Downpatrick train to inch abbey - with a railway museum attached

Bushmills (Near Giant's Causeway)

and a lot in the South
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heritage_railways_in_the_Republic_of_Irela nd
    Originally posted by Tammykitty
    Thanks again, and congrats on the weight loss so far. Keep it up. I'm off for a ride on the exercise bike in a mo.
    I don't have a sister.

• King Weasel
    • By King Weasel 12th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    King Weasel
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    While you're in Kerry don't miss the Skelligs. Wish I was still able to climb to the top of Michael, but at least I did it.

Sorry - it's not for the disabled. Maybe a boat trip without landing is suitable.
    Last edited by King Weasel; 12-04-2017 at 5:23 PM.
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    If you do go to Cork, drive round the ring of Kerry as you wander up the west coast of the country, Cliffs of Moher in Co Clare, then as mentioned, The Burren.

Galway is a lovely old city, then continue to Mayo. Allegedly Ballindine (just on the Galway/Mayo border) normally has the cheapest petrol in the country. Castlebar in Mayo has the Museum of Life, which has exhibits of how things were done in times gone by, it is lovely there and I am just young enough to remember some of the things on display Mayo was also the home of the Irish Land League, so there is a small museum in Straide to reflect this.

Sligo has WB Yeats grave of that interests you.

You are going to have great fun with all of the accents!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    While you're in Kerry don't miss the Skelligs. Wish I was still able to climb to the top of Michael, but at least I did it.

Sorry - it's not for the disabled. Maybe a boat trip without landing is suitable.
    Originally posted by King Weasel
    Some of the Skelligs are protected now, so visitors not allowed, which is a shame.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 12th Apr 17, 5:55 PM
    • 10,392 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    Tarry
    I'm sailing Cairnryan to Larne in September and heading towards Donegal...I don't do a road trip as I have a base and explore local area (ish).
    I personally like Co Fermanagh in NI..with Lough Navar Forest, Enniskillen for shopping, Maghos View Point, Drummoney Falls, Castle Caldwell.
    Donegal I like Dungloe, Ardara, Glenvargh National Park, Dunree, St Johns Point, Ards, and not forgetting Slieve League
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    The train up to the causeway starts at Bushmills. Go to the distillery do the tour then the train up to the causeway. The tour however isn't suitable for wheelchair users as its up and down steps and along narrow gangways. However there's a visitors centre where one can partake of the Bushmills or just coffee and cake whilst waiting.

The Carrick - a - rede is also not suitable for wheelchair users. It's a long walk from the car park, then steps down to the bridge.

If you watch Game of Thrones, then Port Ballentrae is of interest. Actually even if you don't watch it's a lovely little spot, esp if you are into photography. Very quaint and very dramatic if the surf is up. Oh and that other great photo opportunity is the Dark Hedges

Dunluce castle is a lovely photo opportunity, esp if the Northern lights are expected

Far side of Coleraine, you have Castllerock ( where our infamous murdering dentist lived) Mussenden Temple, Bennone Beach, and Milligan Point where the Ferry to Donegal departs. The pub there does pretty good meals

Across the Glens, there's some lovely spots. From Ballycastle travel the scenic route around to Cushendun, then on to cushendall, towards Glenarriff and Glenarm Lots of lovely bays and dramatic back drops. The coastal route is just beautiful
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 18th Apr 17, 3:16 PM
    • 39,704 Posts
    • 79,466 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    The train up to the causeway starts at Bushmills. Go to the distillery do the tour then the train up to the causeway. The tour however isn't suitable for wheelchair users as its up and down steps and along narrow gangways. However there's a visitors centre where one can partake of the Bushmills or just coffee and cake whilst waiting.

The Carrick - a - rede is also not suitable for wheelchair users. It's a long walk from the car park, then steps down to the bridge.

If you watch Game of Thrones, then Port Ballentrae is of interest. Actually even if you don't watch it's a lovely little spot, esp if you are into photography. Very quaint and very dramatic if the surf is up. Oh and that other great photo opportunity is the Dark Hedges

Dunluce castle is a lovely photo opportunity, esp if the Northern lights are expected

Far side of Coleraine, you have Castllerock ( where our infamous murdering dentist lived) Mussenden Temple, Bennone Beach, and Milligan Point where the Ferry to Donegal departs. The pub there does pretty good meals

Across the Glens, there's some lovely spots. From Ballycastle travel the scenic route around to Cushendun, then on to cushendall, towards Glenarriff and Glenarm Lots of lovely bays and dramatic back drops. The coastal route is just beautiful
    Originally posted by Livelongandprosper
    That's great, thanks. I'm slowly compiling a list and condensing it to a series of central locations for each way point, with places to visit within a two hour radius. Once I have done that I can start to look for accommodation.
    I don't have a sister.

• Tarry
    • By Tarry 18th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 10,392 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    Tarry
    I have booked through Imagine Ireland the last few times I've been over to Ireland....the ferry is included with the price. I know it's cheaper to book direct with owners but you save money with the ferry been added to price of the cottage as it can be quite expensive.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,028Posts Today

9,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin