Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cloudy-day
    • By cloudy-day 12th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 533Thanks
    cloudy-day
    0 WOW
    Does Anyone Still Use Travellers Cheques
    • 12th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    0 WOW
    Does Anyone Still Use Travellers Cheques 12th Apr 17 at 3:29 PM
    Afternoon.

We are off to Crete in June, previously for European Holidays we have taken cash and Travellers cheques. Mostly for security, but the resort's 1 ATM is very flaky and frequently runs out of cash!

In the US we use cash and the credit card - have the Saga one for the best rates.

So, do people still use Travellers cheques or is it all done on the plastic?

Any advice welcome!
Page 2
    • benjus
    • By benjus 16th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    benjus
    Unless you're a big spender I can't see ATM limits being an issue (assuming your accomodation is pre-paid or you can pay that by card). I've been to Greece several times and spent for a family of 4, mostly cash, and never had a problem with ATM limits.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Some of the accommodation is prepaid but we'll be in a fairly remote area for a few days with accommodation that will only take cash. Shouldn't be a major issue, but I don't want to waste time on holiday making trips in the car to seek out an ATM.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 17th Apr 17, 2:03 AM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Some of the accommodation is prepaid but we'll be in a fairly remote area for a few days with accommodation that will only take cash. Shouldn't be a major issue, but I don't want to waste time on holiday making trips in the car to seek out an ATM.
    Originally posted by benjus
    Surely you can take a wodge of cash and simply split it up if you're paranoid security-minded.
    For example, split €1000 into 5 x 200, secrete one lot in the car, 1 each in oyur wallet or purse, and the other two in your bags. If there are more than two people in your party it's even easier.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • antenna
    • By antenna 17th Apr 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    antenna
    Travellers Cheques? Have you thought about Luncheon Vouchers?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • benjus
    • By benjus 18th Apr 17, 5:27 PM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    benjus
    Surely you can take a wodge of cash and simply split it up if you're paranoid security-minded.
    For example, split €1000 into 5 x 200, secrete one lot in the car, 1 each in oyur wallet or purse, and the other two in your bags. If there are more than two people in your party it's even easier.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Yeah, I'm sure it's not an issue. I'm not actually thinking about it as much as it appears from my posts on this thread...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,239Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin