Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 12th Apr 17, 2:09 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 153Thanks
    Penguin8410
    Family meal budgeting
    • 12th Apr 17, 2:09 PM
    Family meal budgeting 12th Apr 17 at 2:09 PM
    hi everyone.

longstanding (for years!) lurker here in need of some help!

i know this has been done an awful lot but we have had pretty much most of our unamendable house bills increase this month (council tax, service charge etc) and it has now meant that we can scrape together £150, £170 at a push, per month for food. There are 4 of us, me, oh and two kids, 2 and 4, and twice, sometimes 3 times a week we feed 2 other children, 6 and 4, dinner as well.

i have basics in the store cupboard, pasta, rice, noodles, flour and usually go to the butchers for their special offer day they do at the end of the month, but i don't know if we'll have enough money to do that this month (it is a £10 tray day, 30 sausages, 2 whole chickens, 2 gammons, chicken breats etc)

i used to manage really well when it was just the 2 of us and would regularly spend £25 to £30 a week for the 2 of us but i've struggled to find the planning time as much since having the kids and also the price increases have caused us to struggle too. we aren't major branded people and i buy ys things as and when i see them.

any tips on how to manage this and cheap meals would be much appreciated!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 25-04-2017 at 3:48 PM.
    £45438 £0

Debt free date 19/07/2017

Page 2
    • elona
    • By elona 2nd May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 11,245 Posts
    • 59,903 Thanks
    elona
    YS

It is yellow stickered items - reduced at the end of the day.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Keedie
    • By Keedie 2nd May 17, 11:28 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    Keedie
    Oh I see..., yes that makes more sense. I thought it meant yesterday, then realised that it made no sense

Thanks for the clarification elona
    LBM 27/06/16 = £24,140.60 (7 creditors) BUT on 03/05/2017 = £13,695.91/£24,140.60 (5 creditors) = 56.73% repaid
    Aiming to be Debt Free = 31/12/2020
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 3rd May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    I love these threads as I learn so much and I'll be reading the grocery one next. But I am a bit confused, what does 'ys' mean? I'm trying to figure it out to put the posts in context but I'm coming up short
    Originally posted by Keedie

Hi Keedie! ys means yellow stickered so anything thats been reduced down with a yellow sticker x
    £45438 £0

Debt free date 19/07/2017

• Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 3rd May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 21,132 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Do you use money off coupons, to help out. New Covent Garden Soup is on offer in Asda at the moment for £1, and you can get a £1 coupon from here, making them free. Now I know making your own is better for you, but a couple of these free (1 coupon per email, and most couples have an email each) will allow you to spend £2 on other essential foods, and a bowl of soup with say a piece of fruit or yogurt can be any easy filling tea

http://newcoventgardensoup.com/what-were-up-to/
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,160Posts Today

6,739Users online

Martin's Twitter