Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsT1970
    • By MrsT1970 12th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MrsT1970
    Parking Charge from UKPC in Scotland
    • 12th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    Parking Charge from UKPC in Scotland 12th Apr 17 at 11:18 AM
    Looking for some advice as posts I've read appear to relate to England and I'm guessing it's different in Scotland.

Car was parked in Hermiston Gait Retail Park in Edinburgh and on return to car, a Parking Charge was stuck to the windscreen. The times on the charge between First Seen and Issue Time was approximately 15mins and states "Vehicle Owner/Driver left site". Checked the photographic evidence on UKPC's website and there is no proof there that the driver left the site, only photos of the car. Driver did actually leave the site and expected to be back within the time period stated on signs, but didn't see anything about leaving the site.

Now, the main sticky thread states that people should just ignore these Parking Charges in Scotland, but unsure of what will happen next. Previously wouldn't be worried about a charge, but with the recent case of a woman in Dundee being fined several thousands for not paying charges, wonder whether this should just be paid. The charge is £100, but reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days. However, all the wording on the reverse refers to English legislation - Appeals heard by POPLA and collection process of charge is in accordance with Administration of Justice Act 1970 not the Administration of Justice (Scotland) Act 1972.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by MrsT1970; 13-04-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Page 2
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 6,486 Posts
    • 8,318 Thanks
    beamerguy
    This is advice I do not agree with I think you are giving dangerous advice what about if the person was taken to court, according to this you would ignore that as well?!

DANGEROUS,, never ignore court papers!

Also the Sheriff would ask who was driving so why does it matter what this person says here ? Do you think a Sheriff will not expect an answer to this question ?! Maybe in England you'd get away with it but not in Scots law!
    Originally posted by Ryandavis1959
    You are missing the point

Time and time and time again, people are told NOT to ignore court papers.

How could a sheriff ask "who is the driver", if the PPC is handcuffed
    in the first place ?
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Apr 17, 9:55 AM
    • 6,102 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Even ignoring the driver part, it'd still be a very easy one to defend should it ever get to a court. Which is unlikely because they'd want the drivers name in advance, and almost no parking cases go to court up here unless there's some serial parking going on (the case being ranted about involved about 200 invoices). I don't think I've seen any for a single "incident".
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 7,943 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    pogofish
    I don't think I've seen any for a single "incident".
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    There were a few cases a couple of years back - Again, the common factors were Dundee (so what might that say about UKPC's operation there?) and that the drivers had unwisely identified themselves - However all were withdrawn by UKPC right before ithe court hearing.

I think there is a thread here with full details by one of the people targeted if you want to try a search?
    • Scotdot
    • By Scotdot 4th Dec 17, 12:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scotdot
    Can I ask what the outcome was of your case was please MrsT1970 please?
    Last edited by Scotdot; 04-12-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 4th Dec 17, 1:12 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 3,168 Thanks
    KeithP
    Scotdot, have you got an issue you would like help with?

If so, please start your own thread and ask away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,756Posts Today

8,310Users online

Martin's Twitter