Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bozebo
    • By Bozebo 11th Apr 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Bozebo
    Ex Husband, Mortgage & Stress Levels
    • 11th Apr 17, 6:25 PM
    Ex Husband, Mortgage & Stress Levels 11th Apr 17 at 6:25 PM
    Good evening fellow MSE followers.
    I'm new to the group, though I have been a secret lurker for the last few years, reading adhoc when required.

I now need someone's help & I am hoping that someone on here can give me some advice - please bare with me, the story is quite long winded (at least in my head it is!).

My ex husband and I separated amicably 7 years ago, divorced 6 years ago, and after the divorce (& his agreed pay-off) I signed all the relevant paperwork to remove me from our joint mortgage. I remarried 3 years ago.

Last year I lost both my parents and my husband and I decided to buy my brother out of his share of their property. We were renting before this, so figured getting a mortgage with both our salaries (joint income approx 40k or just over) for 50% mortgage wouldn't be an issue. The deeds were finally swapped over from my parents names to mine & my brother's in February, so we started the ball rolling with the mortgage application. Herein starts my dilemma:- I discovered a little over 6 months ago, that my ex husband hadn't had me removed from the joint mortgage 'because his business accounts were not in order'. He never disclosed this and I assumed (albeit wrongly) that paperwork confirming my removal had been kept by him (he was very lazy in passing paperwork onto me, as the months went by, I completely forgot about it and got on with my life). At my insistence, he made an appointment with the lender (Halfax) in August last year but he couldn't get a mortgage in his own right despite paying the mortgage solely for the last 7 years and never defaulting, so he had no option but to sell up, not only to release me from the mortgage, but because he was also experiencing financial difficulties himself at this point. The house was sold in October but the final contract was not signed until Feb 10th and the mortgage was paid off in full. Unknown to me, he defaulted payment in December & January and I only found out about this in February when the mortgage was paid off. When I asked him, he said the Halifax were okay with it because of the delay in signing the contract and that the arrears would be paid off in full (which they were) when the loan was paid in full.

We are now in the throws of trying to get a mortgage with the TSB (who we bank with). Its been a complete farce tbh, files not being passed over when our Mortgage Advisor when on holiday, paperwork going missing etc, but now it appears someone who knows what they are doing is now dealing with it, albeit 7 weeks after the original meeting and application was made! We made the original application on February 20th, not realising the mortgage account with the Halifax (my ex's mortgage) wasn't closed down until 28th February (although the balance was at zero on 10th Feb, I would have still shown on the mortgage account). The lady now dealing with our application has today queried this and also queried his defaults in Dec & Jan. I am now concerned that his actions in Dec & Jan, are now going to affect our current mortgage application because they have impacted on my credit score, despite not having anything to do with them. I have had no financial connection with my ex since we separated and I confirmed when I signed the contract in February that I have no financial interest in the property what so ever.

Is there anything I can do to prove that although my ex hadn't had me removed from the mortgage (despite my filling out the paperwork), I have had absolutely nothing to do with the mortgage in the last 7 years , haven't made a claim on the property when it was sold and had nothing to do with his choice to go into arrears before the mortgage was paid in full (had I know this was his intention, I would have paid the two months mortgage and had him reimburse me when the proceeding from the house sale were received). Would a letter to my bank from my ex husband, explaining I had not financial link to the property be enough? Should I try and get an amendment put on my credit file to explain his actions? We've worked hard to get our credit rating to a position where we look like we are the ideal customer to lend to, our bank accounts are in good shape and our credit rating with the bank is A1+ - I just can't believe his actions may have just ruined it for us.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And sorry for the length of my post - wans't sure I could explain it in any less detail,
    Stressed out with this whole mortgage thing!
Page 1
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 11th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    jlaw4
    • 11th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    Did you ever file a notice of disassociation on your credit file as this would have financially de-linked you. As you were never removed from the joint account, unfortunately its both your files that get affected.

You won't know how badly its affected your chances until you get a response from TSB. Its a shame he did this to you but speak to the advisor handling your case and see if a letter would be accepted.

Good luck!
    • Bozebo
    • By Bozebo 1st May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bozebo
    • 1st May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1st May 17, 1:00 PM
    Thank you for replying, and I apologise for my slow response.

I was only looking at a Clear Score credit report, which showed no mortgage connection with my ex husband, so I stupidly took this as confirmation that I was no longer on the joint mortgage.

I applied for a Noddle account in March last year, but didn't check it as my mother became seriously ill, passing away in the April. Once we decided to buy my brother out of his % of the property, I went back and checked to see what we needed ' to clear up' so we'd have a better chance of being accepted for a mortgage. It then became clear that I was still on the joint mortgage. He couldn't offer an explanation as to why he'd not told me...well other than 'I forgot', which frankly is a bit crap tbh!.

We've since heard back from the TSB and its a firm NO, solely because of the defaults on the mortgage. I tried to explain again that I was not consulted before those defaults were made and that my ex husband has basically lied for several years, but to no avail. I asked if a letter from my ex-husband, resolving me of any responsibility for his actions would help, but they're not interested. I've banked with the TSB for over 20 years (was with Lloyds TSB before they broke up) and I have to say that I'm not impressed with their lack of understanding or compassion for a situation which was completely out of my control. I understand that they hear umpteen sob stories a week in order for people to get out of their financial mishaps, but I don't lie, and I don't appreciate being 'lumped in' with those people who do. I also understand that they have to be careful who they lend to, but they haven't looked at the account with an attitude of '10 years without a default, two 'late payments' then a settled account - Oh the house may have been going through the motions of being sold, lets ask some more questions'....they are not interested, which now makes me question whether I want to actually bank with them any more!

We're now in touch with an independent mortgage broker who has been recommended, but because the defaults are so recent, he's not too confident about the outcome.My brother is putting pressure on me to get his money to him, so we may apply just in my husbands name and hope there is no association and hope that he can get the amount we need on his own. Otherwise, I have no idea what to do. Will adding a notice of correction on my credit file help or hinder? I've read mixed reviews and I honestly just don't know which way to turn now. Would it be worth contacting the original lender and putting my case forward to them, in the hope they'll add an explanation to my file?

His underhand actions have probably just lost me my family home and I feel absolutely devastated to say the least.
    • Bozebo
    • By Bozebo 13th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bozebo
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    Just wanted to update everyone who may have taken the time to read because they are going through something similar.

The area manager for TSB got involved with our application because we made a formal complaint about the original mortgage adviser. She listened to our story, took on board everything we said regarding my ex husband and how I had no part to play in his decision making, and she went away and looked at our application/credit report/banking history. She phoned me a couple of days later to say she believed 100% that we had been dealt with wrongly and that questions should have been asked about the defaults on the mortgage I held with my ex husband as they were totally out of character for the account. Anyway, I'm happy to say that she went back to the underwrites and disputed their decision. They agreed to re-look at our application, and we are now in the position that contracts are signed and by Monday 19th June, the mortgage transfer will have taken place and I can put all this behind me.

Having spoke with our new mortgage adviser, she confirmed that in 18 years of doing that job, she had never known the underwriters to revise their decision.

So happy, I could burst.

Thank you to everyone who listened to me moan!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin