Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • luklik
    • By luklik 11th Apr 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    luklik
    Mid Terrace VS. End of Terrace !!
    • 11th Apr 17, 1:52 PM
    Mid Terrace VS. End of Terrace !! 11th Apr 17 at 1:52 PM
    I am sorry if this kind of thread has been asked before.
    I would like to ask your opinion which house seems better.
    We are first time buyer and cash buyer. Our rental contract will end in September.

Mid Terrace
    1 off street parking
    Location 0.3 miles from train station (7 minutes walk) Close to more shops and restaurants
    Layout of house: Narrow front, but deep (rectangular shape)
    Size: Slightly bigger than below option
    Garden: Very long garden
    Lounge and dining room are separate/ 2 receptions
    1 bathroom
    Condition: Well fully decorated
    Price (5,000 pounds cheaper than below option)
    Sales Status: Owner is living in a house. Owner is waiting for new built development to finish. Owner will move out only once the new built is done/ Completion on notice (estimate August or end of the year or even later)

End of Terrace
    2 off street parking
    Location 0.6 miles from train station (17 minutes walk) Quiet area and close to a park
    Layout of house: Wide front (Square shape)
    Size: Slightly Smaller than upper option
    Garden: Square proper size garden
    Lounge and dining room are one are combined
    2 bathrooms
    Condition: Clean and not fully decorated yet
    Price (5,000 pounds more than above option)
    Sales Status: Owner has passed away. Seller has probate. Empty house. Can move as soon as the paperwork are done.

Please feel free to give your opinion. Thnx in advance.
    Last edited by luklik; 11-04-2017 at 2:04 PM.
Page 2
    • Helen2k8
    • By Helen2k8 13th Apr 17, 9:15 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Helen2k8
    Doesn't sound like there's much between them. Personally I'd go for the bigger garden, unless it's north facing, because I enjoy gardening.
    General geekery on food - growing it, rearing it, eating it. With other oddities thrown in the mix
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #6 Bunny boiler and string hoarder
    • boliston
    • By boliston 13th Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    boliston
    I would go with the one nearer to shops & station - you can improve a house but you cannot so easily improve a location.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 12,373 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I would go with the one nearer to shops & station - you can improve a house but you cannot so easily improve a location.
    Originally posted by boliston
    Is 500m nearer shops and station really the biggest determinant of a better location? Could it, perhaps, be a sign of more noise...?
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 14th Apr 17, 12:27 AM
    • 14,296 Posts
    • 123,446 Thanks
    zagubov
    Is 500m nearer shops and station really the biggest determinant of a better location? Could it, perhaps, be a sign of more noise...?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I've lived in two places close to shops and transport and two places far away. There's no comparison.

If the transport's reliable and you get your food delivered it might not matter. The hassle of driving to shops/train and finding parking spaces would soon get to me.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 14th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    We are in the process of buying an end terrace, with a south facing garden, so it's a very light house as you get a couple of extra windows. It also has a slightly bigger garden.
    Originally posted by Mathias123
    is this a good time to buy properties? impending brexit and market crash in two years??
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Apr 17, 9:13 AM
    • 6,295 Posts
    • 6,667 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    is this a good time to buy properties? impending brexit and market crash in two years??
    Originally posted by elephantrosie
    So are you fabulously wealthy with your ability to predict future stock market movements ? Have you shorted the footsie with your life savings ? And why two years ? If you mean because that's when Brexit happens, why hasn't it happened now since if most people thought it would crash in two years they get out now so it would crash now not in 2 years.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 14th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 8,773 Thanks
    nimbo
    Do you have a car?
    Do you have 2 cars? Or are you likely to have 2 cars at any point.

Personally I'd be discounting the first house as we are a two car couple. Also I'd love 2 bathrooms as I frankly have no idea how one person can take 20 minutes on the toilet when another is busting for a wee after a long journey.

But they are both reasons I'd make my choice. And therefore maybe not relevant to you.

Also re: decoration. The first house won't look so good once they've scraped walls moving and removed picture leaving nails and sun faded bits. When you say the second needs things doing to it is that purely paint / wallpaper or does that potentially include wiring etc?

There is potentially wiggle room to knock a bit off each of the asking prices.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 14th Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    JP1978
    I would be an advocate of the EoT house all the time but be aware that its also an extra wall to maintain - I know some from the area I was born had to have the end wall replaced / shored up / repaired - lets face it, they are generally quite old houses. Nothing wrong with being old per-se but they do have extra maintenance concerns that you need to be aware of.

The 2 parking spaces would do it for me too - parking on the road isnt ideal - even if you have not got two cars now, parking is not going to get any better so could be a selling point for you later on.
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 17th Apr 17, 11:43 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    i will go with option 2. but beware of higher electricity bill over the winter time.
    • luklik
    • By luklik 18th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    luklik
    Just to update this thread in case anyone interested. I decided to go for the End of Terrace one.

This end of terrace has a garden next to it. (not pavement, nor noisy street)
    Although the EOT's size of house and garden is slightly smaller, more expensive and further from the station, it has 2 car parks, 2 toilets and potential to extend the dining area to the rear and potential to do loft conversion. I may go with the end of terrace.
    Also, I don't like to wait indefinitely (maybe until the beginning of next year) for the completion on notice of the mid terrace close to the station one.

Just a quick questions please.
    This house's fireplace has been removed. I kind of like it removed. However, some people said it will affect the resale price in the future. Most people like to have a fireplace, is this true?
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 18th Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    Just to update this thread in case anyone interested. I decided to go for the End of Terrace one.

This end of terrace has a garden next to it. (not pavement, nor noisy street)
    Although the EOT's size of house and garden is slightly smaller, more expensive and further from the station, it has 2 car parks, 2 toilets and potential to extend the dining area to the rear and potential to do loft conversion. I may go with the end of terrace.
    Also, I don't like to wait indefinitely (maybe until the beginning of next year) for the completion on notice of the mid terrace close to the station one.

Just a quick questions please.
    This house's fireplace has been removed. I kind of like it removed. However, some people said it will affect the resale price in the future. Most people like to have a fireplace, is this true?
    Originally posted by luklik
    Thanks for the update. All the best with the sale

I really don't think it is that concerning. There are people who are fine without the fireplace in fact. And regardless, sale price scarcely would go down just for the lack of fireplace
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 18th Apr 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3,680 Posts
    • 4,002 Thanks
    robatwork
    Originally posted by luklik
    Won't make a blind bit of difference. From your poll of "some people" - one said they wanted a fireplace. You said you prefer no fireplace. And that will be reflected in the populous - about 50/50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,488Posts Today

6,835Users online

Martin's Twitter