Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 9th Apr 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,360Posts
    • 4,125Thanks
    Penitent
    Sick Notes - Am I Missing Something?
    • 9th Apr 17, 6:55 PM
    Sick Notes - Am I Missing Something? 9th Apr 17 at 6:55 PM
    I can't decide if I've gone a little mad(der), or if this actually makes sense.

My sick note ran out on 3 April. Next ESA payment was due on 6 April. It can take the DWP up to 10 working days to scan a sick note onto their system. The DWP have suspended the payment because they don't have my sick note on their system. My GP limits sick note overlaps (as far as they're concerned, when they write 4 months they mean 4 months, not 3 1/2 months), so I can't order it two or three weeks before to give them time to scan it. I ordered this one a week before and found someone to post it for me on 1 Apr, so it was posted before the last one ran out.

Am I daft for thinking that because of the 10 working day delay at their end, it's unfair of them to put a hold on a payment due only 3 days after the last note ran out?
Page 2
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    And in my case the DWP don't have a clue of what my landline or mobile numbers are - I refuse to engage with them unless it is by letter. Consequently the DWP would not be able to ring me back.
    How long would it take for the DWP to write and deliver a letter to me asking that I contact the GP to give authority for the DWP to ask questions about a sick note. And then how long would it take the DWP to open and deal with my letter telling them that I have contacted the GP and have given the necessary authority?
    Three weeks +?
    No wonder the DWP is in a mess.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    You have chosen not to let DWP have your phone number, as is your right. The downside is that it potentially takes much longer to resolve any issues, such as missing medical certificates. There is only one person who is causing this delay - the person refusing to provide the telephone number. Don't try to turn the fault onto anybody else.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Penitent
    They got my sick note (yay), they still didn't send me a text (grr), and I'm going to have to go through this again in a few months because I've just found out the waiting list for home visits is upwards of 18 months here (aargh).
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Penitent
    Also, I received a third letter telling me they haven't received my sick note this morning (that's not including the one they sent me to tell me it was about to run out, which is the one I used to return my sick note). It was dated the 11th (the last two were dated the 7th and the 10th). If I'd sent the sick note on the 3rd (when the last one ran out), it wouldn't have been considered "missing" until the 14th due to their processing time.

There seems to be a lack of joined-up thinking here, resulting in a waste of postage, stationery and man hours (the first phone call could have been averted by extending the sick note without me needing to chase them, the second phone call could have been averted by texting me to confirm receipt of the sick note).

They've also sent me three letters telling me my contribution-based ESA is about to run out, even though there's not a lot I can do about it. I already told them I don't qualify for income-based.

If the Government is looking to save money on the benefits bill, maybe they should start by looking at the waste of resources caused by the processes they use.

(Sorry, I don't need any further help, I was just in need of a rant.)
    Last edited by Penitent; 19-04-2017 at 1:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,275Posts Today

10,701Users online

Martin's Twitter