Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 9th Apr 17, 6:29 PM
    • 6,666Posts
    • 4,773Thanks
    Jo4
    Recommendations for replacement of HP SR2125UK
    • 9th Apr 17, 6:29 PM
    Recommendations for replacement of HP SR2125UK 9th Apr 17 at 6:29 PM
    Can anyone recommend a suitable desktop to replace a HP SR2125UK? The budget is £400 maximum.

The current HP SR2125UK is slow and states that there is a program running in the background although I do no know what it is or how to find out. I am sure there is unnecessary programs on it which could be removed if I knew how.

The desktop is for a 70th birthday present and will be used for word processing, surfing the web and storing photos.

How do you copy all the information / documents which are on the current computer to the new one?

Finally, how do you then delete the information on the current desktop and where can you dispose of it?
Page 4
    • bsod
    • By bsod 20th Apr 17, 4:49 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    bsod
    distilled further

problem: pc required asap

solution: take dad to currys, ask them what they've got for £350, buy one
    Last edited by bsod; 20-04-2017 at 5:42 AM.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
    • were
    • By were 20th Apr 17, 10:57 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    were
    They will want to be able to plug in their external floppy disk drive because some of their music toys still uses floppy disk drives.

-As you can tell from the mention of floppy disk drives the person does not like change - they do not like anything other than a desktop - no laptops, tablets, etc.
    Originally posted by Jo4
    'Music Toys'.... What are they? Will they even work on windows 10? Can they be put on usb, but some software has drive letters and paths hard coded? If he save music, will it save to usb?
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 20th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    The RAM was upgraded from 1GB to 2GB but the computer is really slow. The fan is constantly on for some reason. Don't know if it has been cleaned since the extra RAM was put in which was in the last 2 years - which obviously would not be helping.
    Originally posted by Jo4
    Yes...cos the CPU and mechanical hard drive combo isn't the best. A clean install of the OS would help, but the combination of CPU upgrade, move to 4GB and clean install will really make a difference. The addition of a solid state drive the icing on the cake.

Unlikely you'll get it all done within a week because of delivery times.

I've given my recommendation for a new machine. It already has an SSD fitted, so no need to fiddle around.

The HP that you mentioned is just poor value and a relatively poor performer.

They save money on a key component, the Central Processing Unit, so as to offer 'headline grabbing' and largely unnecessary components to assist sales people to push the unit. For sure the salespeople won't be mentioning the CPU in-store.
    That is the engine of the whole thing. It might be ok if it had an SSD fitted, but it does not.
    Leave it on the shelf. If it becomes too slow, you won't have any headroom to do anything about it, other than fitting an SSD.
    It's cheaper to offer a larger capacity mechanical hard drive, than to supply a decent CPU.

The Lenovo will be as new, but might or might not be in it's original box.

The Zoostorm has a powerful engine and a fast storage drive.

The choice is yours.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 20th Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Based on your stated needs
    Here is a brief recap of what is needed:-

-This is a 70th birthday present therefore a brand new computer in a box is required.

-A good size of a screen - the persons sight is deteriorating.

-The person likes to play music on the computer and at the same time they want a word processing document open so they can have the words of the song open so they can sing along - a little like karaoke.

-They will want to be able to plug in their external floppy disk drive because some of their music toys still uses floppy disk drives.

-As you can tell from the mention of floppy disk drives the person does not like change - they do not like anything other than a desktop - no laptops, tablets, etc.

-The budget is a maximum of £400 but preferably £350.

-70th birthday is next week so it needs to be ordered now to have it here in time.

-The computer needs to be able to work straight out of the box without anything being added to the inside of it.

-I haven't much of a clue about computers, obviously, I know how to switch one on and not much else but it will be me who is responsible for getting the new computer up and running and when anything goes wrong with it I will be the one called upon so I will be back here torturing everyone again - although unintentional.

-The computer has to be delivered to Northern Ireland or be able to be collected in Northern Ireland, which may take longer to receive it.

I hope it is clear what I need without annoying or insulting anyone. I really need to get it ordered.
    Originally posted by Jo4

Considering your requirements, need for local support in Northern Ireland I would again reiterate that I think the £349 machine you were considering will be FINE.

The additional storage will be useful to store any music or videos

You can introduce them to YouTube and how if they search for a song with the lyrics they will be shown, they can even be shown how to save those videos or the MP3's with a browser.

You do not give details of their music toys but this is a simple Floppy disk for USB, they are cheaper on eBay but keeping it simple, this one is £19 at PC World

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/cd-dvd-and-blu-ray-drives/dynamode-external-usb-floppy-disc-drive-black-04877724-pdt.html

If they get compatibility problems then this utility will allow them to save images of their floppies and use them with modern OS's.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/simplified_x86x64_virtual_floppy_drive_(vfd).html

I hope this helps, it is just my opinion based on your stated requirements.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 20th Apr 17, 2:58 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    What "local support" would that be, DavidP24? The ability to walk into a PC World and get charged £50 + VAT for a recovery drive you should make for yourself.

Allow me remind you that this website is MoneySavingExpert.com not Can'tBeBothered.com.

The Zoostorm/ACER combo represents the best value/convenience/performance.

The HP machine is just nonsense. A Netbook CPU in a PC. Of course it will work, but why plough £350 into such an underpowered combo in the first place?
    Let's not forget that the HP monitor has a TN screen, as opposed to IPS.
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W3R46AT&opt=ABU&sel=MTO £92.40
    Meaning that she is paying £257 for that base unit. Really?
    Plus the PC has a relatively slow 5400RPM mechanical hard drive.
    Pushing them into paying extra for 2,000 Gigabytes of local storage space for "music and videos"(??). When for ten years they have been making do with 160 Gigabytes.....

Is this just about saving face?

Allow me to remind you of your earlier statement;

I do prefer the N3700 at that price level
    So at this price point , you would prefer the N3700 with a CPU benchmark of 1867, but you are recommending a PC to the OP with a CPU benchmark of 889.

There are so many better options, yet despite your 'offer' to post possible options for the OP, you have done nothing of the sort.

I wouldn't go for an HP in the first place.
    But even if one did, there are better options than that awfully underpowered machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-410-135na-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B01MRIJ0JE/ref=sr_1_3

for example. Still within budget.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 2:27 AM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    'Music Toys'.... What are they? Will they even work on windows 10? Can they be put on usb, but some software has drive letters and paths hard coded? If he save music, will it save to usb?
    Originally posted by were
    He refers to one of them as a head and he has a few of them.

I don't know if they will work on Windows 10.

I don't know if they can be put on usb.

He saves music from computer to floppy and inserts floppy into head.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 21st Apr 17, 2:44 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits

Originally posted by Jo4
    Which operating system is he utilising now? XP, Vista or Windows 7?
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 2:48 AM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    Acer K242HYL 23.8" IPS LED Monitor £89.98

Argos has the Lenovo equivalent here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Celeron-8GB-2TB-1-6GHz-Windows-10-Desktop-Tower-Black-Argos-/361527040525 for £180.
    They are described as Manufacturer refurbished, but since they have already sold 555 of them, I guess they'll be in 'as new' condition.

It's better than the HP in that the processor is a fair bit better, but I'm certainly not recommending it. But if it suits.

The PC here(Zoostorm Delta Light Intel Core i3-6100 Desktop PC, 128GB SSD, 8GB, Win 10, DVD-RW) and the monitor above are just about within budget and offer a far superior specification,
    You can add a Mini USB Wifi Adapter for as little as £2.38 to add wireless capability or £6.99 for a Dual Band 802.11ac wireless adapter

Zoostorm have a Delta Micro version for £10 less, if space is at a serious premium. But it has no DVD drive and probably limited expandability.

Delta Micro

Delta Light

Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Delivery for the Zoostorm is showing as Tuesday 2nd May so it would arrive too late. Is there any other options? Is it possible to purchase a desktop in PC World or Currys - no issues then with delivery dates?
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 2:49 AM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    Which operating system is he utilising now? XP, Vista or Windows 7?
    He is using Vista.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 21st Apr 17, 10:46 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Delivery for the Zoostorm is showing as Tuesday 2nd May so it would arrive too late. Is there any other options? Is it possible to purchase a desktop in PC World or Currys - no issues then with delivery dates?
    Originally posted by Jo4

Anything is possible, but you'll be on your own...or just with DavidP24.
    That is what cogitation does for you.

You can go for the one on Amazon and either take an Amazon Prime free trial if offered or pay a little extra for one day delivery.
    PC: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-410-135na-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B01MRIJ0JE/ref=sr_1_3
    Monitor: http://www.ebuyer.com/727518-acer-k242hyl-23-8-ips-led-monitor-um-qx2ee-001
    • were
    • By were 21st Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    were

Originally posted by Jo4
    The questing in a round about way was to find out what the toys are, then contact the "toys" manufacturer or web site to find out if there is a new version, and/or will it work in windows 10. the "toys" could be a music play, but it is also be out of date, or obsolete synthesiser interface software/hardware, or mixing software that will cost him a fortune to update.

You could be buying him a new pc which is of limited use, and value to him. Find our exactly what he needs and wants, and you can use google too.

Music.... it is a floppy disk, rather than Mini disk, as minidisk are similar size and were very popular for music and devices?

Windows does have a Compatibility Mode, but still not all software works.

Speak to him.

__________________________________________________ ______
    That Zoomstorm above say a delivery date of 25 April to my postcode. Offer to pay them extra postage. You could get it couriered yourself, but at a greater cost. All depends how much you want it to happen.
    Last edited by were; 21-04-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Is it possible to purchase a desktop in PC World or Currys ?
    Originally posted by Jo4

Shudder ....
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 21st Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    If you want to keep within budget, you should also consider the Lenovo from Argos. It will be shiny and new and delivery to Northern Ireland between Mon. 24 Apr. and Tue. 25 Apr. if you order within the next three hours.
    eBuyer will be 2 to 3 working days for delivery to Northern Ireland.

You really have left this until the last minute and now have left yourself with almost no option but to buy low end components for a lot of money.

It would be a shame for this thread to have turned out to be a waste of time for all concerned.

£180 for base. £100 for monitor including delivery.
    PC World have the same monitor, but at £132.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    Anything is possible, but you'll be on your own...or just with DavidP24.
    That is what cogitation does for you.

You can go for the one on Amazon and either take an Amazon Prime free trial if offered or pay a little extra for one day delivery.
    PC: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-410-135na-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B01MRIJ0JE/ref=sr_1_3
    Monitor: http://www.ebuyer.com/727518-acer-k242hyl-23-8-ips-led-monitor-um-qx2ee-001
    One of the people helping to buy this present want to know if either of these are any good?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6223331

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6226008
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    The questing in a round about way was to find out what the toys are, then contact the "toys" manufacturer or web site to find out if there is a new version, and/or will it work in windows 10. the "toys" could be a music play, but it is also be out of date, or obsolete synthesiser interface software/hardware, or mixing software that will cost him a fortune to update.

You could be buying him a new pc which is of limited use, and value to him. Find our exactly what he needs and wants, and you can use google too.

Music.... it is a floppy disk, rather than Mini disk, as minidisk are similar size and were very popular for music and devices?

Windows does have a Compatibility Mode, but still not all software works.

Speak to him.

__________________________________________________ ______
    That Zoomstorm above say a delivery date of 25 April to my postcode. Offer to pay them extra postage. You could get it couriered yourself, but at a greater cost. All depends how much you want it to happen.
    Originally posted by were
    Some of the toys use floppy disks another uses mini disc.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 21st Apr 17, 2:15 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    One of the people helping to buy this present want to know if either of these are any good?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6223331

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6226008
    Originally posted by Jo4
    Will this nightmare never end??

So now the budget has gone out of the window?

Since you are going to pay at least £100 for a 24" monitor, the spend has moved to £430 or £460.

Seriously, waaaay too much faffing around. You are going to end up paying over the odds for mediocre equipment.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    Will this nightmare never end??

So now the budget has gone out of the window?

Since you are going to pay at least £100 for a 24" monitor, the spend has moved to £430 or £460.

Seriously, waaaay too much faffing around. You are going to end up paying over the odds for mediocre equipment.
    I have now bought the monitor and pc.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 21st Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I have now bought the monitor and pc.
    Originally posted by Jo4

....and you think it appropriate to not mention which you chose?

Was going to state that this is also within your budget; http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6683036

Not that it was a recommendation.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4

Was going to state that this is also within your budget; http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6683036

Not that it was a recommendation.
    I was about to post but the phone rang and I pressed the submit reply because the person was looking for something off my laptop so I wasn't really concentrating.

I purchased your recommendation,

http://www.ebuyer.com/727518-acer-k242hyl-23-8-ips-led-monitor-um-qx2ee-001

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-i3-6100-Dual-Core-Desktop-PC-128GB-SSD-8GB-Win-10-DVD-RW-/262934178264

• Jo4
    • By Jo4 21st Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 4,773 Thanks
    Jo4
    Happy now??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,710Posts Today

6,984Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin