Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 8th Apr 17, 1:12 AM
    • 339Posts
    • 85Thanks
    elephantrosie
    Work seven days a week
    • 8th Apr 17, 1:12 AM
    Work seven days a week 8th Apr 17 at 1:12 AM
    Is this doable? I am thinking of challenging myself to do this.
Page 1
    • lisawurtzbach
    • By lisawurtzbach 8th Apr 17, 3:36 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lisawurtzbach
    • 8th Apr 17, 3:36 AM
    • 8th Apr 17, 3:36 AM
    Why not?! It's very doable if you focus your mind in working for straight seven days a week. I just hope it would be like 8 hours a day so you can still manage other things on the side. What kind of work you are in now?
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 8th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    • 8th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 8th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    thanks for the reply. i intend to do jobs non related to my usual 9- 5 weekday job. cheers
    • Newusername1
    • By Newusername1 9th Apr 17, 1:39 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Newusername1
    • 9th Apr 17, 1:39 AM
    • 9th Apr 17, 1:39 AM
    thanks for the reply. i intend to do jobs non related to my usual 9- 5 weekday job. cheers
    Originally posted by elephantrosie
    Did effectively 6.5 days a week for 8 years, wouldn't do it personally, something went entirely wrong with my life when I started doing things like this.
    • sharpe106
    • By sharpe106 9th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    sharpe106
    • 9th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 9th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    is it short term or long term?, if for a few months then it possible but if for longer what kind of life would you have.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 9th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,621 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 9th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    short term while young, its very draining.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 32,309 Posts
    • 27,070 Thanks
    custardy
    • 9th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 9th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    Is this doable? I am thinking of challenging myself to do this.
    Is it doable? In what way?
    Are you quite young?
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 9th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    • 9th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 9th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    At sea you work 7 days a week on watch through the night or if on days you are liable for call out any time through the night for emergency or arrivals and departures. A few years ago there was a rule that you could get overtime for over 10 hours a day but emergencies and arrivals and departures did not count.
    The good part was after 6 months you got 3 months leave at home to recover, towards the end of my time at sea the leave increased and the time away reduced, in the end I was on 3 on 3 off on full pay.
    So the answer is you can do most things and you do adapt to conditions.
    • sharpe106
    • By sharpe106 10th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    sharpe106
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    I think it is not difficult to work seven days a week, although it does get boring and you might want to run away.
    I worked at a departmental store where had to go seven days a week for 8 hrs. I believe there should be a balance and i think would not recommend going on this plan for a long term.
    Originally posted by anajames
    For how long seven days a week every week will soon make you pretty bored and if you have to travel on top of that be even worse. For a few weeks you can do it but not for long, unless it is a job that is like a hobby for you.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 10th Apr 17, 6:37 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    As someone who's always found it hard to say no to more money, what I will say is know where to draw the line.

An example from my experience is when I finished college I was working part time at a supermarket. I think my last exam was around June 20th and after this I would try and get as much overtime as possible which would include 7 day weeks. I hated the shifts that finished at closing time at 21:00 the most as you'd have to wait for all the customers to leave before you could go, plus everyone would be down the pub whilst I'd still be at work (they closed at 23:00 in those days). Unfortunately my standard shifts all finished at 21:00 and most the overtime going did too, but I just thought of the money and took pretty much all the overtime that came my way.

In intended to stay there right up till I started uni mid September, then decided to leave beginning of September to give myself a break but also meant I'd get more holiday pay I'd not taken. Around a month after my final exam I was given my rota for the next 3 weeks and pretty much every shift said - 21:00 and for me that was it, I handed my notice in the next day and left 4 weeks before uni began. I spent the rest of the summer making up for lost time (i.e. spending money) and by the end of the summer I'd barely saved anything.

The following summer I foolishly went back to work at the supermarket the morning after my last exam and was given 6 day weeks. I got so fed up I left 5 weeks before going back to uni and ended the summer with a fair bit less in my bank to what I started with.

The summer before my final year I did Mon-Fri 9-5 jobs which was at a slightly higher hourly rate, but not too much. I can't remember if I gave myself a week or two off before going back, but I ended the summer with more money in my bank than I'd ever had in my life. Made my final year much more comfortable.
    • Twisted Princess
    • By Twisted Princess 11th Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Twisted Princess
    It's doable.

But a few things may happen.

1) You will get bored of working so much you despise your job or

2) You will be working too much and you will become exhausted and cause yourself a lot of stress

3) Depending on your hours you may have no life outside work
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 11th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    I wouldn't recommend it, there's a reason why most jobs give you at least 1 day off a week, better to have 2. You will sacrifice your health in the longer term and just how badly your health is affected (physical and/ or mental) will depend on your physical make up, genes, how hard you've pushed yourself etc.

Why are you wanting to do this? If it's to pay off debt, then it should be for the shorter term i.e. a few years at most. But I wouldn't even recommend that. I have seen too many people (personally and professionally) develop long-term stress related conditions from doing this kind of thing and that includes trying to work full-time and work or study part-time on the side.

Life is for living and it's not all about money. You will definitely regret it later on if your health is affected, as usually the conditions that people develop and chronic and lifelong.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £33,560.67
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,175
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 11th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    freeisgood
    I did for years but not 7 full days. I quite enjoyed it while single. And I would do it again....You have to like what you are doing obviously.
    Last edited by freeisgood; 11-04-2017 at 7:59 PM.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 11th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    40+ years ago I worked 12 hour shifts 6 am - 6 pm for 16 days. Hard hot work it was too. Repairing furnaces in the annual Summer shutdown. The one furnace was so hot when we first went in it made our boots smoke!
    I was absolutely tired out at the end of it. Slept for about 16 hours IIRC. Never, ever again!
    I never did do it again, and worked minimal overtime afterwards for the time I was there.

Work to live. Don't live to work.
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 11th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    thanks all.

a significant event has happened in my life recently and since then i have been trying to get out of my comfort zone. i have ticked off one goal and am working on the second one. working seven days a week is my third goal. i intend to work like 5- 8 hours only on the extra days.

i like my job and i would choose it again if i have to. my job is a vocation and i wont trade it for anything else.

thank you everyone and i will put my health and family above everything.
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 17th Apr 17, 11:40 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    did two shifts over the bank holiday weekend.
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 19th Apr 17, 12:26 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    my goal is short hours per day and even reading finances at home is considered work! so yeah not truly seven days of outside salaried work
    • DBlenks90
    • By DBlenks90 20th Apr 17, 6:45 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    DBlenks90
    I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want to try it, go for it! I think you'll learn quickly that it's simply not worth it.

As was said above, "work to live, not live to work."

But as always, YMMV!
    Last edited by DBlenks90; 20-04-2017 at 6:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 21st Apr 17, 12:44 AM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    thanks all.

a significant event has happened in my life recently and since then i have been trying to get out of my comfort zone. i have ticked off one goal and am working on the second one. working seven days a week is my third goal. i intend to work like 5- 8 hours only on the extra days.

i like my job and i would choose it again if i have to. my job is a vocation and i wont trade it for anything else.

thank you everyone and i will put my health and family above everything.
    Can I ask why that would be your goal? What do you hope to achieve by doing that? For how long do you hope to sustain it? Logic and common sense would suggest that it is not a sustainable goal. I mean, OK to try it once to say you've done it over 1 week. But why would you want to do that otherwise? Have you heard of SMART goals? Goals should be specific (which granted yours is)! Measurable- yours again is. Achievable- one could question this, depending on the answers to the next two questions. Realistic- hmmm, maybe which brings us on to Timed.....which ultimately is the crux of the issue here.

I'm curious as to your motivation as one can only assume that the only motivator for doing this is MONEY. I would suggest that is not a good motivator- don't be a slave to money. As we have all already said- there is much, much, MUCH more to life. My concern is that in a month or two, you will end up in hospital collapsed from exhaustion, or much worse- depending on your age, lifestyle and other factors.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £33,560.67
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,175
    • By 1886 21st Apr 17, 3:36 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    In March last year I worked 55 hours overtime. From what I can remember I worked every Sunday and one Saturday as well as going in early and staying late Mon-Fri.

The problem with working Sat & Sun at least for me is that it throws you for the rest of the week. I would get to Tuesday afternoon and think that it was Wednesday etc.

I honestly don't think it's healthy, you need time away, time to recharge.

As of November I was put on a 42 hour week up from a 39 hour week and I now feel less inclined to do any overtime. Some people at work go in every Sat & Sun if possible but I'm no longer interested. I'll do a bit of o\t here and there but I work to live, not the other way round

Short term try it but long term I don't think it's a good idea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,908Posts Today

8,867Users online

Martin's Twitter