Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • julie1234x
    • By julie1234x 7th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    julie1234x
    Should i be worried? selling House
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    Should i be worried? selling House 7th Apr 17 at 3:48 PM
    Hi I'm new and would like some advise please!.

I accepted an offer on my house the end of February i kept chasing my estate agents as it's taken the buyer 5 weeks to book in the survey. The survey was done on Tuesday will i find out the results of the survey even if the survey is ok?. All he did was measure the rooms it's a new house so we still have all the certificates. I'm just worried as it only took over a week to get survey booked on the house we want and had the results back next day.
    I know some banks take longer but didn't think it would take 5 weeks for a survey, my estate agent confirmed with me that he's also paid for the searches.
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 7th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,135 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    I'm a little confused. Who hired the surveyor? If it was you , then you'll get the report. If it was your buyers, they'll get the report (which they may or may not share with you).
    • julie1234x
    • By julie1234x 7th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julie1234x
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    hi sorry it was the buyer who arranged for the survey. I know i won't receive the report but do they normally tell u the survey was ok
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 7th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 7th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    hi sorry it was the buyer who arranged for the survey. I know i won't receive the report but do they normally tell u the survey was ok
    Originally posted by julie1234x
    Nope, they have no responsibility to you top tell you anything, as you've not paid them anything.
    • julie1234x
    • By julie1234x 7th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julie1234x
    • 7th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 7th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    ok thank you first time i've sold a house, so i will probably only hear from them if the report is bad.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 7th Apr 17, 5:07 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 7th Apr 17, 5:07 PM
    • 7th Apr 17, 5:07 PM
    Some lenders do all the credit checks first and others do the survey first, so this might account for the delay.

You won't hear the actual survey result yourself. If its just a valuation you'll hear nothing, if it's a more detailed survey then you might ask the EA or they may even politely call you when they've next had contact from the buyer, just as a courtesy to put your mind at rest. Hopefully there won't be anything major to cause renegotiation, if the house is new you can probably rest easy.
    • julie1234x
    • By julie1234x 11th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julie1234x
    • 11th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 11th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    Thanks everyone

We accepted the offer 7 weeks ago and still not heard anything about his mortgage offer!. It took nearly 6 weeks for his valuation to be booked in. The valuation was done last week and still not heard anything when i ask my estate agent he tells me it's normal to take this long?.

My mortgage offer took just over 2 weeks?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th Apr 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 11th Apr 17, 4:11 PM
    • 11th Apr 17, 4:11 PM
    Thanks everyone

We accepted the offer 7 weeks ago and still not heard anything about his mortgage offer!. It took nearly 6 weeks for his valuation to be booked in. The valuation was done last week and still not heard anything when i ask my estate agent he tells me it's normal to take this long?.

My mortgage offer took just over 2 weeks?
    That does sound rather a long time to get the valuation booked in, but not unheard of.

If the valuation was only done last week, then they are unlikely to have received their offer yet.

It will depend on exactly which lender they are using, as they often have different processes, and work at different speeds.
    • julie1234x
    • By julie1234x 18th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julie1234x
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    Hope everyone had a lovely easter weekend!

Good news my buyer finally has his mortgage offer!

Does anyone know how long it normally takes now? All contracts have been signed i started my searches last week he started his weeks ago? The house we are moving into is empty no chain on his side either
    • cloo
    • By cloo 18th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    cloo
    Valuers are in short supply in some areas, so valuations can take weeks to be booked in, so don't worry about that, it's pretty normal these days.
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 18th Apr 17, 2:40 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    My valuation was booked in for 2 days after I received the mortgage offer, so it does vary a lot. I hope yours comes through quickly so you can get things moving at last.
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 18th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    Not much advice but I had the opposite.

Put offer in and was accepted nearly 10 days later. Then they delayed valuation by 3 weeks. Now they have found a property and have finally instructed their solicitor to issue contract pack. They now have the cheek to chase me - so I have become the slug this time.
    Savings £10000
    • julie1234x
    • By julie1234x 20th Apr 17, 12:13 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julie1234x
    thanks everyone!.

I now have my mortgage offer been advised the searches are done as well!. I've had her contract and signed what next?. How long does it normally take now any idea's?.
    I've e-mailed my solicitor to find out what stage my buyer is at i know he started his searches before me and he's had his mortgage offer as well?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 20th Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    For queries relating to the property you are selling, ask your estate agent - that's what you're paying them for.

For queries relating to the property you are buying, ask your solicitor - that's what you're paying them for.
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 20th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    thanks everyone!.

I now have my mortgage offer been advised the searches are done as well!. I've had her contract and signed what next?. How long does it normally take now any idea's?.
    I've e-mailed my solicitor to find out what stage my buyer is at i know he started his searches before me and he's had his mortgage offer as well?
    It seems like its going at a very good pace. Should not be too long I suppose. Don't worry too much
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    • 9,520 Posts
    • 12,002 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Average is 12 weeks from offer to completion.

All sounds good to me. My last survey took around 3 weeks to reach me - despite lots of chasing and constant promises it had been done (it hadn't), and that they were emailing it to me that day (they weren't). My lender eventually had to chase my surveyor who said it'd not yet been done but he would do it that day and post/email it (he did!).

Try not to stress

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,320Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin