Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 418Posts
    • 3,811Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 7
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,359 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you're feeling better soon x
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 11th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you HI.
    DH went to the shop while I took the girls swimming. I knew it would be a mistake. A DVD and milk turned into about £30 of stuff, including more beer, chocolate and ready meals for when we got back as he didn't feel like cooking.
    Signed up for prolific about 2 weeks ago and had nothing until today, there's been loads available but needed access to laptop and kids had taken theirs with them (ours is broke, we just use 1 of theres) did get £2.90 though.
    LBM in April 17 - £4453/£33554 (13.2%) paid
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good evening.
    Went to the r@nge this morning for some art bits for DS, £14. DD2 art picture £5. I did really well this morning and resisted the hot tub they had! We've been talking about having one for a few years but walked away.
    Only had DD2 swimming today as DD3 lesson was cancelled. She's got 1 lesson left with them but asked if she can carry on for a while as she's on 42% after only being in that stage 4 weeks, she would like to pass it. Will speak to Dh to see if we can carry them on for another 6 weeks along with club lessons.
    Need to do a top up shop tomorrow and sort my return to work on Friday. Need to get some change as just had a message to say they are having a non uniform or football kit day on Friday.
    Right, better go tell some kids off, they don't want to go to bed, they've not long come in from the garden.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 15th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Not much to update. Spent £3.15 yesterday on bread and multi bag of crisps (Snacks to keep kiddies quiet while I'm working and DH sleeping). Today should be a NSD as at work later.
    Absolutely dreaded going back to work yesterday, sat and cried before I went, almost in tears in my back to work meeting but it actually wasn't too bad. On short shifts for a week and then it's back to full time hours for the first time since I first went off in Feb!

Been going through the accounts and going to start a new budget for next month. Our SOA is currently (there may be bits missing, I've just gone through our account for last few months) All rounded up to next £....
    Bills...
    Mortgage £581
    Council tax £150
    Car tax £20
    Water £59
    TV licence £13
    Scott wid £8 (life ins)
    Scott wid £6 (life ins)
    House ins £24
    BT £45 (Should be £35,forgot we don't have inclusive calls now and need to use mobiles for calls, DH mobile included in this)
    Gas and elec £114
    Tesco mobile £7 (DD1 phone)
    Vodafone £34 (my phone, in contract until feb)

Other monthly...
    HP ink £8 (with DS being home ed this has been a lifesaver but think we can drop it down a level)
    Netflix £9 (used every day on multiple TV's)
    Lottery £18 (Dh wont let me cancel this, his numbers might come up!)
    Park hamper £55 (vouchers for Christmas, don't think i'm going to use them next year as still using them now as nowhere kiddies wanted them for at Christmas)
    Swimming £60
    School dinner £40

Debts (this months min payments)...
    Lloyds CC £100
    Tesco CC £102
    MBNA CC £25
    Sofa £90
    Barclay CC £255

Savings acc each month...
    Car acc £200 (£400 in here for insurance, repairs etc)
    Occasions £150 (£300 in here for Christmas, birthdays etc)
    Holiday £200 (£400 for a holiday next year, days out)

Monthly food acc...
    Fuel £100 (going to take this out next month and see how much we actually use)
    Pets £100 (Same as above, never realised how much they cost until now)
    Food £600 (£150 a week, thinking about taking it out each week instead of having deliveries so I can see where it's going)

Total £3173

Incoming £3642 (last months wages, will vary greatly but as I was on sick, shouldn't be too much worse)

Also came out this month
    Amazon prime £80 (yearly)
    Xbox £40 (yearly) (forgot about this, card had expired so didn't think they would be able to take payment, must get it cheaper next year).
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 15th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    If ive remembered everything, it should leave £450/500 per month. Debt payments will hopefully be topped up to £750 each month. Leaving the rest for clothing, hair cuts and topping up the house/emergency fund.

Was looking at school uniforms yesterday, Just for the little 2 it was almost £100 and DS1 needs new uniform, logo'd blazer and logo'd pe kit, I dread to think what his will cost. DD1 has asked for some nice clothes for college in September and will also need bus fares and dinner money for her as well. Told her she needs to look for a part time job.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Just a quick post, as I logged in I remembered my delivery is due any time and i'm still in my pj's looking like ive been dragged through a hedge! Cup of tea first though.
    Wasn't a NSD yesterday, £1.80 bus fare to work as DH was still asleep. Grabbed a few bits when I finished for DH as he hadn't had any tea and only had 20 mins between picking me up and going to work himself. So some pasties and a bar of chocolate.
    Shopping should be about £60 and i'm going to take the rest of the weeks money out so i'm not just using the card all over and eating into next weeks money.

Checked my updated credit report today and its so good to see it changing! It wasn't bad anyway but was a full 999 today and 93% chance of getting the best cards. Affordability is still low but I thinks it's because I have only used our wages, not child benefit/tax credits In the calculations. DH has gone from 888 to 916 and 20% to 40% over the last 3 months so a big improvement on his too. Never looked at the available credit before, DH has a whopping £45k of credit available to him! Scary thought of how much more we could have spent.

Right better go get dressed and tidy up before the shopping arrives (if I didn't work there and know the delivery people I probably would have stayed in my pj's lol).
    SPC #591
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,359 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Have a lovely day x
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you Hidden.
    Finally got dressed, 2 loads of washing on the line, washing from Friday fetched in... oops! Shopping came to £59.98.
    DD1 has taken the others, except DD2, for a walk to feed the ducks with a couple of slices of bread that had about had it.
    I should get some cleaning done but DD2 has come to lay on my knee, think she stayed home as she would get me all to herself.

Just wondering how much others budget for clothes shopping? It's rare we buy anything unless really needed/going out, but just realised due to his growth spurt, DS1 has 1 pair of Jeans 1 pair of joggers, 2 t-shirts and a pair of pj's. He's just Bern handing me stuff that didn't fit and I never realised how low his clothes were.
    SPC #591
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 16th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I usually set aside money into a separate account and when it's needed the money is available there. I don't have a set amount each month just for clothing. I have one big pot. I understand everyone is different.

I try to keep spends to a minimum each time we buy something new. I usually get him everything for under £50 through browsing around for best offers and looking at what is usually needed.

Hope this helps.
    Check out my Diary
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you Chandelier. That's what I've always done with the children's account, it pays for anything child related and then I top it back up at the end of the month. I had seen so many with a clothes budget I just wondered if i needed to separate it. I might try to keep a diary of what is actually spent where to get a rough idea of yearly costs. I always worry when we do a big clothes shop that I'm spending too much, but it's probably only done once a year.

I think I'll take him to get a few bits and hope they will do, we bought him new school trousers in May and they are 2 inches up his legs already so don't want to buy loads but what he has got won't be enough for summer. He's 14 and needs a men's medium or 32 inch waist, children's clothes just aren't big enough any more. Not like DD at 16 can still fit in some age 11 and they just need replacing as she's had them so long. I only have new for holidays or special occasions and DH still wears t-shirts he brought with him when we moved in almost 17 years ago (I have bought him new but apparently they are more comfortable).
    SPC #591
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 16th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I know some people do set aside separate pots for each thing but I tend to lump everything into one big pot. I know what I have each month and save a good amount each month too. Everyone's different.

I rarely buy new clothes for myself as I'm in uniform half the time so I have a smallish wardrobe and find things that work for all seasons lol
    Check out my Diary
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you Chandelier. I think that's why we don't buy a lot, all have uniforms.
    Think I'll stick with the one pot.

Pie and mash for tea (for most of us anyway) why oh why do I always peel the big potatoes first when we buy a sack, a million little marble sized potatoes peeled today. Still quiet a few in there but they're starting to sprout so need to use them up this week. Not sure what DD2 is having yet.

DH can't have any of the same holidays at work so I've just been looking to see if we could do a Monday-friday when I have my holidays in August, with the funds in the holiday account. He should work friday/Saturday/Sunday night so if he didn't pick up overtime we could manage a few days together.
    SPC #591
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,359 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I don't have a budget for clothes either To be fair the majority are bought at Xmas in the boxing day N3xt sale, then I pop the odd bits into the grocery shop
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 17th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Not much to tell here. Checked bank and nothing changed.
    At work this afternoon, might try to sort dinner before I leave, DH didn't go to bed till late so might not be up till 6/7.
    My house is driving me mad! Need to get in a routine and get it sorted. I look at it and don't know where to start. The kids want friends over but not a chance while it's like this.
    D'S busy with his work so might make a start on the kitchen.
    Also going to start getting fitter and weight loss now I'm not as dizzy. Starting weight 10st 1.6lb. No goal, just to feel healthier.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 21st Jul 17, 11:56 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Haven't posted for a few days, lots of end of term things and work and just didn't have time. Spent a bit this week but not too bad. Sofa payment has come out today making total paid off this month £546 so far. And I still have £40 of this week's food money left.
    I'm sat waiting for DH to come home in his break, I have water pouring through the ceiling! It's actually been leaking for a while but the bucket in the loft must have overflow. Another thing that needs fixing! (It gets forgotten until the heavy rain arrives).
    I'm at work all day tomorrow but the children want to go to the local carnival so will leave them some money for that, if the rain has stopped by then.
    Looking forward to the holidays and not having early mornings but Got to sort out keeping them busy without waking DH.
    DH should be home in the next 10 minutes so will go look for the step ladder to save him time.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Jul 17, 12:34 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh no! to your leaky roof - I hope you can stop it spreading.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 22nd Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you Cherryfudge. DH came home and emptied the bucket in the loft and it's all drying out now. Think it'll have to be repaired before winter arrives.

Went straight to bed when he left at 12.30 and didn't climb out of bed until 10 this morning. I was awake and listening to the kiddies but feel better from the rest. It's my first big shift back at work after going off sick in Feb and feeling a bit scared. I'm going to have to walk to work and risk the rain as not got any change for the bus.

Right, tea drank, better go fasten my hair up and start walking. Have a lovely day x
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Going back to work is a tough one - hope it went well! Also that you didn't get too rained on... it's threatened here too but holding off till I get out and far enough from home not to be able to make a dash for it.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 23rd Jul 17, 12:04 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. Hope the rain stayed off Cherryfudge. I had a lovely walk to work. Stayed dry and was warm. Rain didn't arrive until late afternoon.

DD did take the little ones to the carnival, she had said they weren't going so I didn't leave any money. DS borrowed it from his birthday money so need to put that back. Most of it went on 'hook a bag' but the girls are happy with their teddies.

DH had slept really badly and woke up finally at 8.50. I had told the kids not to make noise and not to wake him so none of them dared wake him to say it was almost time for work. This meant kids had only had 'snacks' all afternoon so I grabbed some sausage roll/pasties on the way home. Not the best tea but never mind. Must teach DD to cook (even at school she was never interested in cooking).

It's still throwing it down here. I was freezing and brought my cup of tea up to bed, got upstairs to find all the windows were still wide open. So snuggled under the quilt now to warm up.

Shopping order coming tomorrow but other than that, nothing planned. Lots of cleaning to do and I may have to give in and dry some of the clothes in the dryer.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 25th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good afternoon.
    Had quiet a few spends over the last few days. On Sunday shopping was delivered. Little ones asked if they could have take away to celebrate the school holidays, so £27 Spent and no body really enjoyed It! Quiet a bit was thrown/demolished by the dogs.
    Monday was some cake for pudding as I left work.
    Yesterday was a NSD!
    Today has been £9 on some snack bits for children, I'm at work this evening and they are swimming 7-8 so needed things they could have quickly. Also spent £9 on a DVD and £54 on a travel fridge. It's half price at work and DH has been after it for weeks but was out of stock, he spotted it on the shelf this morning as he left. We have been talking about camping again and we had burnt the one we had out using it when defrosting the big fridge.

Children have asked to go out somewhere tomorrow but weather isn't supposed to be great so not sure where yet. Just read on social media there was a kids free event on the field behind us earlier, I had no idea, it's supposed to be there every Tuesday through the holidays so will keep a look out. The younger 2 have also asked to go to the free playscheme at the local church next week so need to phone and book them in.

Better go sort some tea before I go to work.
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,587Posts Today

8,155Users online

Martin's Twitter