Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 337Posts
    • 3,118Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 5
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 1st Jun 17, 12:10 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I saw this on this site - free entry to look around farms, I think it's this Sunday. Might be an activity to keep the warring children apart and gainfully occupied?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/open-farm-sunday#2017
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 3rd Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Just a quick post as will update properly once DH goes to work tonight about my very spendy days!

Cherryfudge, thank you. I've just had a look and our closest is 12 miles away. DH is on nights all weekend and I don't drive, but thank you, it would have been a nice day out.

Been dying to get on and update for the first of the month, so totals at 1st June are....

Loan: £414 - £0
    CC1: £830 - £784
    CC2: £6987 - £6787
    CC3: £3185 - £3068
    CC4: £9035 - £8633
    CC5: £8816 - £8597
    Sofa:£4287 - £4198

Total:£33554 Now: £32067 - £1487 paid off altogether, £616 this month. 4.4% paid!
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 03-06-2017 at 9:40 AM.
    LBM-March 17 £2129/£33554 (6.3%) paid
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 3rd Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Wow that is a massive amount paid off. Very inspirational that you can do that. Makes me want to do that well. Very impressed and inspired here. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 3rd Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 14,946 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I agree that's an amazing amount!

DFW £718.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £331.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £216.52 + £25 Cash + £45 Amazon
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That's huge progress, well done!

DH is on nights all weekend and I don't drive, but thank you, it would have been a nice day out.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    DS is on nights too so I will join you on tiptoeing about trying not to rattle things.
    30 days in June...
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. It's all been pretty much minimum payments but the difference has been not re-spending it before the next statement arrives!

The last few days have been very spendy days. The 1st was nieces birthdays. £10 each and cards. They had a party and I really don't have any clothes, haven't bought any for over a year so I did go shopping. I had a new top and jeans and trainers. DD1 has had a massive growth spurt, she's suddenly taller than me and hasn't much to wear. She also starts college soon so she had 1 pair shorts and 3 tops (she wasn't with us and I didn't know what she would like) She only likes 2 of the so the 3rd will go back but she could do with some vest tops to go under 1 of the others. In total with the cards was about £94! We then had takeaway in the evening as we were late home £36

Friday we spent a fortune on BBQ food. DS didn't want a day out for his birthday, just a BBQ as DH is working all weekend we did it Friday instead. Need to find receipts for this. Then fetched his cards and he had a pair of school shoes at £22, the only pair that would fit his ferryboats! He also asked for another game, was £21 but my £10amazon voucher arrived yesterday from the internet switch so used that towards it. Making a cake for his birthday today.

Yesterday was a NSD! spent catching up on washing and DH working on the 4x4 course (aka garden) The children had a huge pool between them for birthdays a few years ago (advantage of them all being within 2 weeks they can have big things between them) and we need to find some level ground to put it up. The kids had the bouncy castle up and slept well last night.

Today I have had the big 'first shop of the month' with the cat food and toiletries in, it came to about £100.

Although it's been very spendy, it was all accounted for in the kids account for Christmas/birthdays and not on the credit card.

Next birthday is dd's 16th next Friday so need to get that sorted and then ds's on the sunday.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Also need to make an extra payment to CC. The 0% on 1 part ends on the 1st and min payment is £190 theres just over £400 on that bit so hoping to pay the other £200 off to avoid interest. Need to do a balance transfer today too.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 4th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 14,946 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Minimum payment or not it's still a huge step in the right direction! Well done x

DFW £718.71/£7348.71

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 6,513 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    That is fantastic progress. Even if minimum payment, the difference not spending on them makes is tremendous. Living without credit cards is the first step towards financial independence. Clearing your past debt is the next and you are doing this. Well done.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Jun 17, 11:34 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. It's defiantly nice to see it going in the opposite direction.

Been trying to keep quiet for DH but apparently i'm the one that wakes him up when I tell the kids off for being noisy, oops!

I made DS birthday cake yesterday and it turned out really well and DS2 has asked for the same for his birthday and DD3 that helped to make it, wants the same but with pigs on! June isn't the month for diets, we live on cake. Last year their cakes were about £30 each!

Checked the bank and not much changed. payments for beginning of week have started coming out so need to record them accurately.

Rang hospital as was sure DS appointment was tomorrow, it was last Friday. I feel really bad, think I got it mixed up with my appointment that is tomorrow. Hopefully they're going to send him a new one out. I rely on their text message service, which I don't seem to be getting.

Going to sort out the little ones (inset day for them today) and then do the balance transfer, was supposed to do it way before today.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just a quick post as on my phone.
    Balance transfer done all bar 5p!! That the limit wouldn't let me transfer. I think there might be a bit of interest so it'll just come out with that. £105 fee.

Also paid £250 overpayment to bc CC to cover the 0% ending, but it then popped up that as it was above minimum payment they wouldn't take this months direct debit, so payed another £200, just over the direct debit payment. Definitely something to remember if I make other overpayment to that card, sure the others all take min payment as well.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 05-06-2017 at 4:08 PM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    It's been a NSD!

Been trying to move some money about but not sure if it's my internet(doesn't seem too bad on here) or the bank. It's not letting me do it.
    Tomorrow will be a spend day as i'm at the hospital and don't have any money for parking, need to get some change. Have to be out of the house for half 7! will be fun with DD who is already saying she's not going back to school. Need to pay school trip, if they'll let me. Was supposed to be paid last day of term but I completely forgot.

Both girls have passed their swimming stages today. I really need to get their badges, they've just passed stage 3 and 4 and I haven't collected any of the badges since they started. Might have to get a couple each week.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 6th Jun 17, 12:29 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 14,946 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    All looking good! Well done to daughters too

DFW £718.71/£7348.71

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Making progress! Daughters (children) are an expensive 'hobby', but worth it.
    30 days in June...
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 8th Jun 17, 12:42 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Well done to daughters too. Swimming is hard!
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. They've only been back at lessons a year on Saturday so not done too bad. I'm glad mine only wanted to swim, my nieces do gymnastics, dance, drama, swimming.... clubs can definitely get expensive.

Just a quick post while dh is snoring on sofa. Been some spending this week, we've had a skip and completely emptied 1 of the sheds into it, followed by the shed itself. It was full of toys, baby things like walkers, play tables, sit and rides etc. All been stored since dd was little ready for selling, they've got forgot about and been In there probably 5 years and had gone mouldy. From now on I must sell things straight away. Lots of money just thrown away. The shed had rotted away and pretty much came down on it's own.

Can't believe I've had to use the dryer all day today. Washing has been mounting up and just couldn't get it on the line, it's been so wet! Can't wait for the summer weather to come back.

Not doing bad with the debt this month though, £653 paid already! Won't come down by that much though as got the balance transfer fee to add on.

Dd1 has had her birthday present today, birthday not until next week. Birthday account was looking so healthy until this week but no credit cards used! She wants to go to Alton towers so looking at the best way, I've got Tesco vouchers and adult free entry vouchers on the cereal. Her best friend has been admitted to hospital tonight so will wait until we know she's well enough to come with us to order tickets.

Suppose I should get ready for bed, work tomorrow.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 17th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good evening. Been a while since my last post.
    I've been struggling a bit, really don't have the energy for anything and spending the evenings asleep. Hayfever has set in, ive got a cold and I think another sinus infection. Also had major tooth ache and cant get a dentist appointment until the end of july! That's the feeling sorry for myself bit.

We have had a lot of spending over the last few weeks as it's been the childrens birthdays. But it has all been paid for and not on credit cards! Will be glad once this month is over and we can get back to normal. For the first time, I have been watching what we have spent and stuck to budget.

Tomorrow will be a washing day while the sun is out. It's ds2 birthday so we have decided to have party food tea and we will make him a cake tomorrow. No other payments to debt as everything came out at the beginning of the month.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jun 17, 12:19 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done for keeping to budget! It's especially hard around children's birthdays, I think.

I hope the hayfever and cold abate quickly: no wonder you need to sleep. Hayfever seems to be bad at the moment.
    30 days in June...
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 18th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 17,964 Thanks
    chevalier
    just read through your diary. sorry you have had it so tough the last year. well done on getting more stuff over on to 0% cards. Remember it wasn't just you that spent this money, it went on the family. So don't take all the blame!

good luck with moving forward and I hope your ear problem is speedily resolved.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 18th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good afternoon. Thank you for your replies, It's so encouraging to know people are reading. Hopefully after my op it will be a lot more positive journey xx

Cor blimey! It's hot! Kids been out on bouncy castle this morning but they've come in to go on games as ds2 doesn't cope well with heat, expecting him to be sick any time soon. I really really want the pool up, it's an 18ft circle and theres just nowhere suitable to put it up and then it takes 3 days to fill, it's a salt water system so helps with dd's eczema from sun cream.

Shopping has arrived, party food for tea. Still need to make a cake. I'm ashamed at the amount we are still throwing away, this is the main thing that needs getting under control.

Last week the car went in for it's MOT, luckily it was only £72 it could have been cheaper but DH didn't have the tool for the things we knew needed doing so had to be done there.

This week I think the dog is going to have to visit the vets, when I first started the diary she had a course of anti inflammatory meds, she still had a slight limp after but seemed more herself. They were playing the other day and she didn't half yelp and refused to put her leg down for quiet a while, she is walking on it now but still really struggling and is sometimes hopping instead of walking. Think we will have to go down the xray route to rule out hip dysplasia so could cost us a few hundred but she's only 6 so hoping shes not got it already.

Well suppose I better go and make some cake otherwise i'll have a very upset boy later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,102Posts Today

7,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin