Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 619Posts
    • 5,135Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 21
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 6th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Oh dear to the bank card! Maybe carry a basket instead of a trolley next time.

Gymnastics clothes can be expensive though at club level I seem to remember it's basically for a good quality leotard (hand wash in pure soap, in DD's case!) DD went on to do competitive cheerleading and every time the squad got a new uniform (once it was twice in a year) they had to get another, upwards of £100. However there was a market for selling them on so she sometimes had items from last year's squad. It may be worth asking other parents or the coach about people willing to sell kit because it does happen - especially while they're growing.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Will definitely try to stick to the basket idea.

The girls would like to try the cheerleading that follows them in. I've just downloaded the timetable and the biggest majority of the competitions are cheerleading. They've just done a weekend competition in Manchester, with a Leeds and a Walsall one coming up, think I'll try to hold them off that a bit.
    Great idea about asking for old kit though, thank you.

One set of shelves up, DH has gone to fetch the girls while I jump in the shower ready for work. This room move is happening quicker than I thought.
    LBM in April 17 - £5835/£33554 (17.3%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £211/5000
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good afternoon.
    Had to add another £13 to yesterdays spending. DD wanted a sports top for playing badminton today. I've added it to yesterdays spending. I've transferred her £20 today but that's allocated in the budget so not listing it as spending.
    DS also lost his pe top last week so if there is no sign of it today he will need a new one too, bit annoyed as he only needs it for another few months. Don't even think i can get a second hand one as it was a new kit this year and he's one of the biggest in his year.

Had my updated TC letters, apparently we have been overpaid so they are lowering the amounts by £90 for the next 2 payments, but they've just paid us an extra payment of £800!?! Why not leave it as it was and just an extra payment of a few hundred? I'm not worried too much as between us i think we will earn about £4/5000 less than estimated if i've worked it out right.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Woohoo!! Yesterday was finally a NSD! Today should be too.

Checked the banks this morning. £78 DD for CC has come out and DH £57 tax rebate has gone in.

From this month we no longer get payslips, it's all online. I set mine up the other day and it's took me 4 attempts to log in this morning as it kept telling me it was the wrong password, after the 4th attempt (same password) it let me in. Set DH's up this morning and his wont accept the password i had set up only a few minutes before and it's now locked him out... oop's!! So i have no idea what he will be paid tomorrow.

I have half an hour on my own as DD has forgot her folder so DH has taken it to her. I'm supposed to be cleaning but i really don't have the energy. DD2 is off on a trip with school next week so think we will sort her bag tonight, need to check all her joggers still fit. It's her birthday the week after so need to sort that too, she's still not sure what to have. She would like a party but i'm going to see if she wants to go to alton towers or somewhere that i can use the club card vouchers for.

Suppose i better stop rambling to get out of housework and go get it done.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Managed to login to DH pay after blocking it for an hour. Good job i did the new budget on his basic hours, just a few £ above it this month due to overtime ban.

Today isn't actually a NSD. DH has gone to fetch some rats for the snake but as he is using the £20 i gave him the other day that is accounted for already (the £20 i said he would fritter away so already took from budget), I'm still claiming a NSD (is that cheating?).

Only thing i've done since my last post is decluttered a cup of tea!
    SPC #591
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 8th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Nope not cheating at all. I would take that as a NSD. They are few and far between in my house so anything that remotely resembles a NSD is counted!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    Feb 2018 £6955.3669.88% paid
    Emergency fund £400/£600
    Total Savings £1125.79
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I'm still having it as a NSD then! LOL.

I try to count NSD's but when i get halfway in to the month with only 2 it's pretty depressing and i give up.

With all the children, finding a day i don't have to buy bread, milk, fruit... is almost impossible.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Didn't have to feel guilty, the shop was shut so no spending anyway.
    Think we may have to look for another supply. It is owned by an old man, he sits in the back with his drink (DH has always said its whisky) and the tv. He only comes out when you press the button on the counter. He started closing on a friday a year or so ago and now it's thursday too. I think it may shut down soon if he doesn't have family to take over it.

Had a letter from the tax man. I am getting tax back from DH tax thing. I've just logged in and have £218 now on it's way to my account! Did some looking around while on there and it's good to see my NI/pension is all up to date.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Today was a NSD.
    I haven't done much of anything. I was way too tired. I laid on the bed about half 3 when DH went to fetch the DC,i was still awake at half 5 when dd came in but must have fell asleep just after as DH woke me for dinner at 7.
    I'm now waiting for the washer for tomorrows school clothes.

Dinner was sausages from the freezer, jacket potatoes that needed using up and beans. DH said as i was asleep and he was shattered he was tempted to order takeaway. He didn't, just threw some potatoes in the oven. DD2 had yorkshire puddings instead of potato, it's so hard to feed her, she's getting fed up of the very little she does eat.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Not much to update really. We both got paid this morning so the account is looking a little healthier. I was going to pay half back to the yearly bills account this month and half next month (for the dryer) but i think there will now be enough to do it all this month.

Going to look what's in the freezer for tea, there is a pack of mince needs using in the fridge but i'm going to work and DH has to fetch the DC at half 3, DD at half 4, swimming lessons at half 6 then collect me at 8 so needs to be something quick. He's at work tonight so has gone back to bed for a couple of hours.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just done a freezer list... it looks likes more like a junk food list!
    So the next week is junk food week! The kiddies will be happy. May get a sack of potatoes as don't think they will last in to next week.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 6,766 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Can I have a junk food week too please?

You and your DH sound worn out at the moment, I hope a week of living off the freezer help you both recover a bit. You seem to be making good progress with the finances and using up stuff will hopefully help there too. I know it's made a big difference to what I've spent recently.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I intend to make all those nuggets, chicken burgers and sausages as healthy as possible, LOL.

DH has had 2 weeks off and we are still so tired. I've put our holidays in for next year and hope we get a bit of time off together so we aren't still running round. He's having to pick up a lot of slack from me too, i'm really struggling and haven't left the house unless it's for work (i have to go, we need the money). I've missed a few of the girls performances at school as i just couldn't go so he had to go alone.

I've just had to change my password, 316 days since i came back to start this diary, i actually remember changing it then as i couldn't remember it.

Afternoon at work done and it was another NSD! 3 in a row!

DH has done tea, spag bol for us and i'm not even sure i want to write what he gave the little 2... Nuggets, yorkshire puddings and choc chip pancakes!! He told them to choose what they wanted form the list. I've made sure they had yogurt and fruit for pudding (although i suppose they already had pudding at the same time!).
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 6,766 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done for yet another NSD!

Ha ha about the little ones' tea - I bet they loved that!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    He did say they completely cleared it..

Dragged myself out of bed, just had a cup of tea and porridge. Need to go and find DD bus ticket and make my way to work.

Need to get some shopping ready for school on Monday, don't think it'll take the £40 food budget that's left this week.
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Ahh don't feel bad about what the smalls are eating. It's not like its everyday forever. They will love it.

Hope work goes okay

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Feb 18, 10:27 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    It's been a busy day at work today. Went shopping after work and spent more than i was hoping. It came to £37 but did include a £7.50 wok set (gutted! got home and there's a post on f@cebook that it's only £5 at mr A). We got a £5 stir fry deal to quickly do when we got home. Also got a veg pack at 49p but the beef to go with it to make stew was £9!

Kiddies had chicken (breadsteak type from the freezer), fries and beans. They've had ice cream for pudding, emptying 3 tubs of part used ice cream! Emptying the freezer might be quicker than i thought.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 11th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning (just). Been a very lazy morning.

I went on to check the bank, not sure why as it never changes on a weekend, it's just become habit. I've used the card this week for shopping so don't have the extra to put in my envelope (that seems to have moved on the shelf, better check that). So instead of trying to work out what i need to withdraw, i applied for a savings account and transferred the £13.62 left from this week straight in to it. We have been looking to do a cheap October half term holiday. If we do we have decided to use any built up fuel money for the extra fuel and any built up food money for any extra food for the week. Our half term is late though and most places seem to close the week before. DH has got the week off, just waiting to hear about mine.

Today will be a NSD as DH in bed.
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you manage to get away for Half term.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 11th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. Think it might give us something to look forward to and as it seems to be the week after half term for most places (although i think i've seen you mention yours is the same week, from the 26th oct) a lot of the places we normally spend money may have already shut.

Been looking at my mortgage today. It looks like i could just apply for a new rate with my current provider. This would save about £100 a month. It gets complicated when i try it though as it was a '2 bank mortgage' which have now separated and it doesn't seem to come under either options online (HBOS). Will give them a call tomorrow to see.
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I have done the sun holidays, but I think I'm the week before you. We are going Fri 19th for a week (2 x sun holidays ) because it's quite a bit further away from home than we usually do I wanted a full 7 days. So have done Fri-Mon and then Mon- Fri.

Even if some of the usual things are closed though I'm sure there will still be other things. The planner on H@ven for the week we are there is fully loaded with activities - plenty of free ones too which surprised me!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

724Posts Today

6,998Users online

Martin's Twitter