Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 505Posts
    • 4,537Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 17
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you both for your posts.
    Cherryfudge, they have loads of Pj's now, I think the problem is they prefer the onesie's so when they're changing them daily it's pretty much a load on their own every day. They've had dressing gowns and slippers for Christmas so if I can encourage them to wear normal Pj's at least I can get more in each load.

I don't have a pot, I drink tea and DH coffee and I drink a LOT of tea. I think it might be an idea, or a flask or one of the water things that just heats up the water as your using it (like a Tassimo thing but just for hot water).

Wannabe, my budget sounds so high when looking at yours, I have no idea how you manage it on so little budget, but broken down like that it probably isn't quiet so bad.

Banks checked and as I thought with it being a bank holiday nothing has changed. Pork in the oven for dinner. First load in washer and dryer. Not going anywhere so will be the first NSD of 2018.
    LBM in April 17 - £5624/£33554 (16.7%) paid.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 1st Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    My budgets low because really there's only the older two smalls that eat

I also have quite a big stockpile of basic things and I use vouchers from surveys to keep it up

I think you do a brilliant job x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 1st Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Thank you for posting MOFK. I've lurked on your thread too, looking for ideas to reduce groceries. We also have £10 a week on beer and DH has beer each week but other than that we don't seem to spend on anything luxurious. I am definitely going to work on it though. It doesn't help with DH and 2 teenage Ds's, they can eat a mountain of food and still be hungry.

I know we use a lot of electric but I couldn't see how it was that much more (it's a graph on their website comparing my use to other 3 bed semis with the same amount of occupants). I spoke to the children yesterday about the bills and making sure they turn lights/chargers etc off. Also trying to get them to wear Pj's a second night if they aren't mucky. I think washing is a major use and the boiler needing replacing too. When we have showers, the boiler has to be on, it heats all the radiators too and it can't be turned off in between each person otherwise it doesn't come back on for hours. My tea consumption is a probably a huge factor too.

Well I've been on the scales for my start weight this morning and hoping my clothes will be more comfortable by the summer, I refuse to buy a bigger size!
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    I'll try and post up my meal plan for each week from now on which might help!

Oh and I have kids who seemed to have hollow legs and are constantly eating. Its worse in the holidays I find.

I think one of the other things that puts up my electric bill is I have a very old fridge freezer and very old freezer. I think I might try to save up to buy a new more efficient one once I have finished sorting out the furniture in the kids rooms.

I agree that my kids just seem to generate washing just by looking at clothes! I swear sometimes they don't even wear the clothes before putting them back in the washing basket!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £20607.44/£23090.83 10.75% paid
    Debt no 1 £0/£593.29 paid Jan 2018 ~ Emergency fund £337.50/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £2524.42/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £98.88/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I'll try and post up my meal plan for each week from now on which might help!

Oh and I have kids who seemed to have hollow legs and are constantly eating. Its worse in the holidays I find.

I think one of the other things that puts up my electric bill is I have a very old fridge freezer and very old freezer. I think I might try to save up to buy a new more efficient one once I have finished sorting out the furniture in the kids rooms.

I agree that my kids just seem to generate washing just by looking at clothes! I swear sometimes they don't even wear the clothes before putting them back in the washing basket!
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    Thank you, it's nice sometimes to see other meals, sometimes we get fed up of the same things all the time.

I always wonder in the holidays how on earth they make it to lunch time at school as by 9 they think they've been starved!

We had a new fridge/freezer a few weeks ago so hoping it makes a bit of a difference. We still have a quiet old freezer though. When we replace the dryer I've been looking at a heat pump dryer, they are more but supposed to use a lot less electric to run.

I sent the children to tidy bedrooms yesterday and I'm just sorting through the mountain of washing they've put in the bathroom and quiet a bit of it is still folded! But we have a cat that wee's on any washing on so can't even put them back in drawers. I've put another basket in the bathroom and said all clothes must go in it and not on the floor, then things can have a normal wash too, rather than a long, hot wash.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just realised I put DH Has £10 on beer, it was supposed to say £10 on nappies and then DH beer, he gets limited to £5 a week, hoping his Christmas present will help reduce that further.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 1st Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Yep mine do the same, put clothes that are still folded in the washing. Or my eldest tries on an outfit and then decided it's not what she wants to wear and do in the wash it goes!
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    We have just eaten a huge roast dinner, so much for that diet starting!

Today has been NSD 1.

Need to check we have everything for back to work/school. Cant believe how quick it has come around.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Just a quick update. £76 paid off CC today. Balance transfer done, has cost £179 charge but is less than the interest would have been over the next few months. Need to look which is the next 0% to end and pay any overpayment on that card.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good evening. Just a quick post, DH off and complaining I spend too long on my phone.
    Yesterday was a low spend day £2.25 on bread and crumpets.
    Today was spendy! £64 on 2 sacks of dog food. £84 on fuel. £2.40 for new washers for the toilet as it keeps sliding while sat on it, now DH can't find the tool to take it off to replace the washers. £21 in the new @ldi. Mainly crisps and biscuits to keep the kiddies quiet while DH sleeps over the weekend.
    We had pasta Bolognese for tea yesterday and enchiladas today. We still have beef to use up that we were going to have new years day
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just another post. Banks checked and no changes. At work in an hour (really should get showered and dressed) Need to use the rest of the pet budget to get the cats things for the month after work today.

Spent last night helping DD1 to fill in job applications last night, i understand she doesnt want a job as college is very demanding (3 9-4 days at college and 2 8.30-4-30 days at placement) but she wants to learn to drive in june and if she thinks i'm paying her lessons/car/insurance she's going to have a huge shock.

Right, better get ready for work.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 5th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    My oldest daughter got a job where I work. She is a waitress and kitchen assistant. The beauty of her job is that she doesn't have set shifts. She works as and when they are busy or if one of the regulars has a holiday. It suits her completely as she doesn't work every weekend but still earns on average £100 per month in term time. In holidays she earns more as she can do more shifts.

Maybe look for jobs like that. My daughter works for a yacht club but I would say a hotel, wedding venue or something like that.
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 5th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Storm89
    Hi just read through your whole diary after your comment on my thread Did you hear anything back about the dyslexia thing I don't know if I missed that post ? it was one of the first pages but you'd paid to have the test. I think my son is dyslexic and the school are saying they don't do tests which was annoying.
    I bought the savvy shoppers cookbook for meal plans because the website has shopping lists and meal plans on then the book you just use the recipes from.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 5th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Working Mum
    A really wonderful book about dyslexia is called "The Gift of Dyslexia" by Ronald D Davis - available cheaply secondhand online - my daughter is dyslexic and it is a roller-coaster ride sometimes but the way she looks at life is phenomenal. The book is packed full of ideas, strategies and useful advice.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 6th Jan 18, 12:13 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    My oldest daughter got a job where I work. She is a waitress and kitchen assistant. The beauty of her job is that she doesn't have set shifts. She works as and when they are busy or if one of the regulars has a holiday. It suits her completely as she doesn't work every weekend but still earns on average £100 per month in term time. In holidays she earns more as she can do more shifts.

Maybe look for jobs like that. My daughter works for a yacht club but I would say a hotel, wedding venue or something like that.
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    I think this is definitely the type of work she could do with. My sister has asked if she would like to work in the pizza shop where she is but I think DD is way to shy to answer calls etc. At the minute she's got applications in for a couple of local shops, will get her to try pubs/restaurants too.

Hi just read through your whole diary after your comment on my thread Did you hear anything back about the dyslexia thing I don't know if I missed that post ? it was one of the first pages but you'd paid to have the test. I think my son is dyslexic and the school are saying they don't do tests which was annoying.
    I bought the savvy shoppers cookbook for meal plans because the website has shopping lists and meal plans on then the book you just use the recipes from.
    Originally posted by Storm89
    Thank you for reading and posting. The test I paid for was £10 and just a basic test (it was an offer price at the time but I've since read about a lot of people getting similar results so not sure it's a trustworthy test at all, you could then buy their full programme). School then did their own tests that came back clear. Her levels were quiet low and spelling was flagged up but they said it wasn't a concern. Her teacher this year has given her a lot more confidence and she will ask when she doesn't understand something. She still refuses to do any school work (spellings/reading) at home though.
    I will have a look at the website now, thank you.
    A really wonderful book about dyslexia is called "The Gift of Dyslexia" by Ronald D Davis - available cheaply secondhand online - my daughter is dyslexic and it is a roller-coaster ride sometimes but the way she looks at life is phenomenal. The book is packed full of ideas, strategies and useful advice.
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    Thank you, I'll see if I can find it yo have a read of, although the tests came back clear, it may have some ways to help her.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 06-01-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 6th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening all. Went to get cat food after work. I ended up buying lots of Christmas paper, cards and baubles! And cream/caramel/reeses eggs. I got pizzas for tea as it was 8.30 and DH started work at 10. I spent £23.... and I've just realised I didn't get any cat food!

I've got £29 left of this week's food budget and could take the £9 out of the Christmas account for the things today but as I'll have a delivery Sunday, I don't think we will need to use any more of it.

At work all day tomorrow so should be a NSD.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Another late night post, i must try to get some sleep earlier.
    Been at work all day. Asked DD1 to put some potatoes in oven for tea, she must have still been asleep as she has no memory of it at all. Thought it would be another quick meal to pick up after work but DH got up early and put a pasta bake in while he came to fetch me.
    So today has been NSD3.

Shopping coming tomorrow, along with cat food/litter.

It's the first Sunday of the month so officially the start of my Jan food budget. Hoping to at least come £50 under budget this month and work on it from there. DH has been told there may not be any over time for a few week so his wages will really be down, he hasn't done less than 4 days since he started in Feb, luckily they've slowly upped his contracted hours from 7.5 to 21 so at least i know that's guaranteed.

Didn't order pain killers though and the dreaded lurgy seems to have hit. Ive felt awful the last 2 days and really ache, DS1 and DD2&3 are all coughing and DD1 says it feels like she has tonsillitis (again) and a temp. The joys of the first days back at school/work.
    Better go get some sleep, i have a massive list of cleaning for tomorrow
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you're all feeling better soon

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 7th Jan 18, 7:11 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Storm89
    boo to the illness It's our shopping day today too. Don't stress yourself too much with the cleaning and get some rest. There are so many germs about at the moment !
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you both. I came down at 9 this morning to DD1 asleep on sofa, she had been up since half 4 with a temperature. She's just used the last of the c@lpol so i've told her she is going to have to brave tablets later, should be fun!

Looking at my bank, the shopping pending is £65 food and £25 cats (36 tins of meat/large bag of dry/large bag of litter).

So far i've put last nights washing on airer and a load in the washer. Swept the hall floor before the shopping comes. I might try to brush the dogs later to try and cut down on some of the moulting, my floors look awful all the time with clumps of fur everywhere.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Shopping arrived and away. We've done pretty well with it this time. 750g mince oos do sent 2 x 500g, 1000g pork loin steaks oos so sent 2 x 700g pork shoulder steaks. 2 smaller bags of cat litter instead of a big bag and 3 small bags of cat food instead of 1 large. Price match refund of £4.60! And we have a bit extra meat.

Beef has been in the slow cooker since this morning. The smell around the house is driving us all mad! Making us so so hungry! DH has even woke up as he can smell it upstairs. It's not going to be ready till later as was done for when he gets up about 6.
    2018 TARGET 0/6930
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,045Posts Today

9,768Users online

Martin's Twitter