Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 434Posts
    • 4,081Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 15
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Nov 17, 11:46 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening HI. She hates school, she has major confidence problems and is convinced everything she does isn't good enough. She says she doesn't understand things, even when she's been shown again, she hates the noise and crowds and kids picking on each other. She has always hated it but it has been worse since taking DS out of school.

I'll admit it, I'm watching me her us. It came up on comedy as recommended!
    It's not exactly comedy!
    I watched 13 reasons why in 2 nights. I've never seen Gilmore Girls, so will give that a try, thank you.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 13-11-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    LBM in April 17 - £4453/£33554 (13.2%) paid
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Nov 17, 12:29 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I ended up taking DD out of school for a while and teaching her myself because she was getting so unhappy at her friends falling out with each other. Eventually she felt ready to go back (though I would have liked to have gone on teaching her!) and went on to complete school and get a degree. It was while she was at University that she was diagnosed with dyslexia - something her primary school completely missed despite me asking about it, and which her secondary school was willing to test for but their tests weren't conclusive.

I think I've read things you've written about your DD before and been reminded of mine. With the right help, even so late in the day, she has done well and is now in her chosen career based on her degree. So there are happy endings. Ironically a different primary school in the same town would have had her tested at the age of 6 for one of the aspects of her dyslexia which can be helped in a very straightforward way.

I hope she's over the tears and settled now. I do feel for her as I'm exactly the same about sleep making tomorrow come more quickly!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Nov 17, 12:49 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Cherryfudge, thank you so much. DD Is now fast asleep. DH wants to take her out immediately and try to get her confidence back and then let her try secondary next year. After home ed DS for the last year, I know we can do it now but I don't want to fail her later on for GCSE's etc. If she doesn't go back to school. The only thing she is excited about is the school trip in May. She was tested for dyslexia at school but they've said she isn't dyslexic.

Washer has finished so hope I have everything for the morning.
    SPC #591
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 13th Nov 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 4,297 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I always hated school CT. Never enjoyed it and couldn't wait to leave.
    I turned out OK I think. (Admittedly would have done better if I had learned how to budget but that's another story)

My point is that when I look back at school when I was a teenager I remember it being a far harder struggle that anything I have had to manage as an adult.
    She will be OK but my own belief school does not suit everybody so can sympathise.

If I had to go back to school now I would probably cry too.
    Teenagers are not nice. School is brutal and unforgiving and constant.
    It all flips over when you leave but that feels like a distant future never-happening event until it actually happens to you.

Hope she is ok but can see how school is hard. Work much better.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge, thank you so much. DD Is now fast asleep. DH wants to take her out immediately and try to get her confidence back and then let her try secondary next year. After home ed DS for the last year, I know we can do it now but I don't want to fail her later on for GCSE's etc. If she doesn't go back to school. The only thing she is excited about is the school trip in May. She was tested for dyslexia at school but they've said she isn't dyslexic.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    I don't know enough to advise but there are other conditions which can affect learning... dyspraxia, dyscalculia, probably a host of others. One that DD has is Meares-Irlen Syndrome but I think you said your DD has difficulty in understanding what's said to her? I wonder whether her learning style is something other than auditory?

I wonder if there's helpful advice in the Home Ed community, even if you don't decide to go down that route. It's also possible the school's test isn't stringent enough to make a diagnosis: this is what happened to DD.

Glad she got to sleep in the end.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 14th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you so much for the replies. I'm going to try and speak to DD's teacher and see what she says. I hate seeing her so worked up at bedtime.

I've sat and finished the numbers from the accounts i had started the other day. I have a new SOA with the new figures after some bill rises. I'm going to do an 'account sweep' at the end of each month into the emergency fund account and see how much i can build it up.
    Looking at what we pay a year for things is pretty scary! Just worked out the girls swimming lessons alone is costing us about £1300 a year! They are now stages 6 and 4 so not long to go before they can drop the lessons and will be just the club fees then. DD2 has decided she doesn't want to take part in the competition next week so at least £12 saved there.
    SOA now looks like this..
    Mortgage £581
    Debt £600
    gas/elec £175
    Park £50
    Netflix £10
    kids clubs £120
    Ink £8
    Bus fare £60
    Entertainment £100
    Water £59
    Tv license £13
    life ins £8
    House ins £25
    Phone/internet £40 (includes DH mobile)
    life ins £6
    Tesco mobile £7 (DD1 mobile)
    Vodafone £35 (my mobile, contract ends feb)
    Car tax £19
    Pets £100
    Fuel £100
    Food £667 (£150 a week, seems to still be too high)
    Yearly £250 (car ins, mot, council tax etc)
    Occasions £100
    Holidays £100

Total £ 3233

Things are rounded up and other things are higher to cover 5 week months (like bus fares/ kids clubs/ food) so i dont have to alter direct debits/standing orders, anything left over at the end of each month will be wiped to be emergency fund/house account. There should hopefully be a nice amount to transfer each month.

Gas and electric are high at the minute. They did our bill, said we were in credit, paid us £400 credit back and dropped the monthly DD. We then get a letter saying the bill was wrong so now they have put the DD (which was £114) right up. The credit should have stopped the increase DD if they weren't incompetent!
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 14-11-2017 at 1:25 PM.
    SPC #591
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 14th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Hi, I hope today at school wasn’t too bad for DD. I’m sure you would be brilliant Home educating her. My DCs are no where near gcse level, but even now I find it daunting thinking about doing gcse level with them down the track. Just remember that you know your children best. You know which learning styles work best for them, when to push learning and when to hold back & you can even go back over previous years work to boost her confidence. I’ve seen quite a lot of online resources pop up on the Facebook groups I’m on and I’m sure there’s other home ed families doing GCSEs who could offer guidance if you chose this route.
    LBM Aug 2017. DFD - May 2021 / Dec 2021
    CC1 - £982.50 / £5,185 1/8/17. CC2 - £7,020.00 / £13,470 1/8/17. CC3 - £10.940.00 / £11,400 1/8/17
    CC4 - £12,740.00 / £13,000 20/11/17

1% challenge - 80%. PAD challenge - £2,570.27 (since 13/9/17)
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 17th Nov 17, 11:21 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you AdventureWanted. A lot to think about and decisions to make, there is definitely lots of sites for HE GCSE'S now.
    Both girls have gone in lovely today as it's children in need, we spent hours last night drawing spots on pe t shirts.

Not much to update money wise. We were going to have sausages for tea but on checking the freezer, i dont have any. I ordered 2 bags in the shopping last week and we haven't had any! They obviously didn't come! Must start checking shopping against receipt and not just throwing in fridge/freezer/cupboards!

Not much else to update really. We banked £26 of change the other day as can only bank 10 bags at a time and a £65 cheque thats been sat there since may for DH doing the yellow pages. Must have been picked up by DS when he had an obsession with the post and neither of us saw it.

Work this afternoon and swimming for the little ones. Going to check out the Mr T 342 after work.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nice to have an extra £65 especially at this time of the year!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 18th Nov 17, 2:21 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 1,548 Thanks
    reality_check
    Sorry to read about how your daughter is feeling with school, sorry I can't offer any helpful advice.

I can give you some Netflix recommendations though - my favs over the years have been:

Suits
    Power
    The Crown
    Orange is the new black
    Queen of the South
    Stranger things
    Prison break
    Breaking bad
    Better call Saul
    Vampire diaries
    Pretty little liars

I've just started watching Mindhunter and loving it and my friend has recommended black mirror, so that's next on my list.

With Parks do you pay monthly? Maybe keep doing this but set up a direct debit with somewhere like a credit union so you can't touch the money, you still pay but have the freedom to shop where you want come Christmas? xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,250
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 23rd Nov 17, 1:07 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. Sorry for the late replies, I haven't made it on to the laptop and think I have been trying the wrong password on my phone and locked myself out.

Cherry, It was fantastic timing and already been spent on Christmas shopping today after it had cleared.

Reality, thank you, I will definitely work through that list. At first I loved DH working nights, but now struggle to sleep on my lonely quiet evenings so might put the tv back in the bedroom and lay down to watch tv.
    With Park I pay £50 a month, I've already emptied the Christmas money account this year (I put some away in cash too for Christmas and birthdays) but still have the £600 vouchers unused (plus £50 from last year, a lot of last years have done the shopping in Iceland this year) I think a savings account I cant access might be the way to go, thank you, I will look into it.

Not much to update really. Lots of Christmas shopping done, Christmas jumpers and my boots bought this morning from the cheque clearing.
    Need to check what payments are left to come out and then pay any 'debt budget' left before the end of the month.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 26th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just been sorting out this weeks money. I have no idea where last weeks went! Or more to the point, what DH did with it! We started off with quiet a bit left over from the week before. I gave him £20 for a shop earlier in the week, it was less than £15. After swimming Wednesday he took the girls to fetch bread and some sweets, less than £5. He also had £20 in his wallet, he spent £5 on food for work on Friday (we have argued about how much he spent). I took £10 of the change for the bus on Friday as DD2 has been ill and had a doctors appointment.
    So out of £60, he knows where £35 has gone, There may be £10 left in change in his pocket. Has no idea where he has used the rest!
    Then he wonders why he never has any money.

Food shopping has come today and we have about £25 for the rest of the week. I need to catch the bus to work a few times, DD1 needs lunch at college and we will need top up of bread, milk and fruit.

Can't believe the 1st Dec is on Friday! Will do account sweep on Thursday night. Need to pay any debt payment left tomorrow so it's cleared by Friday for my 1st of month total.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 27th Nov 17, 10:56 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. £5 odd spent today. A large bottle of conditioner, I'm sure we go through double compared to shampoo. Wraps for school lunches and 2 boxes of chocolate orange muffins for the kiddies puddings, they were horrible and probably just a bite out of each one.

Girls finally settled so off to bed for an earlier night.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 28th Nov 17, 3:55 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Went to town this morning to pick up some reserved items. Paid £2.60 parking and have since realised I could pay with the voucher online, had it delivered and saved on parking.

Just paid £201 to debt, taking payments this month to the £600. Need to do a balance transfer beginning of Jan so ordered a new card as cut them up. Checking 0% end dates and I have one ending Jan, one October 18 and one june 19. I think the 4th card is also oct 18 but cant find any details on my statements of when it ends.
    I have £800 still gaining £10 a month interest, I thought I had transferred them all, i'm paying all extra payments to this, will take 3-4 months to pay it off so may not be worth the transfer fee.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 30th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. I've just done a sweep of the accounts ready for the new month tomorrow. I've left a weeks buffer in food account and £100 in bills account just in case anything comes out before the standing orders go through.
    I've swept over just over £100 but it hasn't gone to the savings account this time, I've sent it to the Christmas account for now.

They've changed my shift tomorrow, have to be at work for 8 and need to have the kiddies ready for school before I go so wont have a 1st of the month update until tomorrow evening.

Did some more Christmas shopping today while waiting for DD prescription (she has conjunctivitis) Got some great prices on gift sets and yankee candles were 3 for 2 so grabbed a couple for family gifts.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Dec 17, 10:56 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    It's been a busy day but i have finally got the figures for last month.
    Month 8...
    Loan: - £0!
    mbna1: - £0!
    lloyds: - £6277
    mbna2: - £7682
    barclay: - £3031
    tesco: - £7859
    sofa: - £3664

Total - £28513

£5041/£33554 (15%) paid.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 01-12-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 1st Dec 17, 11:11 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Those are some amazing looking figures! x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Dec 17, 11:18 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you WF. Just been sat playing with figures to see where we might be in a year.. 2 years etc. I am thinking about if we would feel bad going to just minimum payments for a few months to get some savings up for the boiler It really is on it's last legs and after reading your thread tonight, realised we would have no option but to put it on to a CC which i really don't want to do.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 3rd Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. Had shopping delivered today, DD3 was helping to bring it in and dropped down the bag with the bread in, i realised it wasn't just bread when i heard the smash, was chocolate spread everywhere. Lovely driver refunded and took it back. I then walked in the kitchen and dropped the yoghurts! luckily only 1 split.
    Not been anywhere to spend anything else.
    Was hoping to get some of the house sorted, did clear some of the living room before the shopping arrived but nothing since. I have done loads of washing, all sofa covers etc.. then DS has just come down to tell me he has no uniform for tomorrow.. the girls quiet often get changed down stairs so their clothes go in the utility room basket (which i have done a lot of), i completely forgot to check the basket upstairs. So my early night has gone out of the window, his trousers have just finished, waiting for a shirt now.
    Hoping tomorrow will be a NSD.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Not much done yet today.Been helping DS with his work. He is now reading so want to get started on some cleaning before i go to work, just having a cuppa first.
    I think we might start a 'christmas carol' project. He has watched about every version of the film there is and is constantly singing the songs. Hoping it might keep his interest for more than a few hours.
    So today isn't quiet the no spend i was hoping, going to order him the book to read. I also got a call from DH in the night, they were just stocking the shelve with a girls must have, but out of stock everywhere, toy of the year and did i want 2 picking up when he finished for the girls. I really didn't want to buy them, they are extremely overpriced for what they are, but i have! It's on the top of their lists. My dad has asked what they want for christmas so may let him give them so will get the money back. He also picked up some whisky for his dad that he had been waiting for coming back in stock.
    Right i have 1 hour to make a dent in this tip!
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,867Posts Today

7,322Users online

Martin's Twitter