Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 449Posts
    • 3,620Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 14
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening all. Think we will be writing this month off and starting fresh in November. I've had to send off for DD passport, we were struggling with her Id and as she had a passport as a baby it was the best option to update it. We did d's1 at the same time so he doesn't have the same problem next year so £150 gone there. Plus photos and postage costs.
    I've been picking up odd bits of winter clothing and replacing some of ds2 t-shirts as he eats them and they looked awful.
    DH has ordered a trailer, I think we could have managed the holiday without it but he said everything won't fit in the car, the older ones and DH all have wetsuits/boards/fishing stuff, we've always gone with family before that have had a bit extra room to take some of our things. So the savings have gone.

Positives I suppose are it's all come from savings! No cards.We get 2 child benefit payments this month so one will go straight back into savings.

Been trying to shop in store but it's lethal! Need to go back to on line so I'm not filling the trolley with nice things and no food (I've done it regularly this week!). Was getting fed up of the same meals and thought it would be good to browse but it wasn't very money saving.
    LBM in April 17 - £3786/£33554 (11.2%) paid
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Spent the morning waiting for deliveries. Still waiting for the cat litter to arrive.

I was curious this morning and sat and went through the statements for the CC that DH spends on. They only go back 18 months. On there I the car, car parts for the old car, fuel, small shops at the corner shop. The bit I wanted to check was how much stuff he had bought when self employed, in the 18 months there is just under £1000! I know there was more before. None of it claimed for! Along with his whole redundancy to buy his start up (over £10k), it was probably one of the biggest, most expensive learning curves adding to the debt. If he had listened to me and used his redundancy for debt payments we would probably be almost debt free now, or at least only half what we have. Not having almost £30k debt and a storage unit (also costing us £20 a week!) full of things that never got used.

I'm at work this afternoon, will need to get bread for the weekend.
    LBM in April 17 - £3786/£33554 (11.2%) paid
    DFD: 1st May 2022
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

9,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin