Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 434Posts
    • 4,081Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 13
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 27th Sep 17, 12:32 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You've done well avoiding the CCs! I'm really impressed on the grocery spending in particular - a horrible shock turning into a nice surprise. I can remember that feeling when I thought I was well overdrawn and couldn't account for it, but when I looked properly it was that amount in credit! It had been so long since I'd been in that strong a position that I'd automatically thought I was in minus figures.
    The ID thing is a problem, I agree. We found much the same when teenagers needed references from people who'd known them a long time: that just doesn't necessarily happen nowadays. We got by with references from DS1's then girlfriend as her job makes her a suitable referee and she knows all of us, of course. Now they are married we'll have to find someone else as she's part of the family!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 27th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope everythings okay CT x
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 27th Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you cherryfudge and hidden.
    Was definitely a shock to get to the middle of the month on last months money.
    Last CC payment of the month has come out so made a payment of 318 on lowest card to make payments up to 600.
    Been a busy few days with work and my niece falling out of a tree on Sunday and breaking her arm. She's in theatre this afternoon to have a wire in. We go on holiday in 4 weeks, because we booked it so close we didn't take insurance, she's rang them today and they only offered her 10% of payment back. If she can't go they are going to see if they can sell it for a bit more than the £40 offered by the company.
    Right better get some lunch, showered, girls to swimming and straight to work till midnight.
    LBM in April 17 - £4453/£33554 (13.2%) paid
    DFD: 1st May 2022
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 28th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. Not much to update really. Took DS to the barbers today. He has been refusing for ages but didn't argue this morning. £8 spent but he looks so much better.
    Called to fetch cough/cold stuff as germs are spreading through the house. With boxes of tissues, kitchen roll, 4 cartons of apple juice, medicines and a £1 bag of chocs for my niece we spent just under £13.
    Then went to see niece for a little while.
    Couldn't help myself and checked the accounts before sunday and it looks like we will meet the 10% paid and be under 30k once everything has cleared. Sunday will be my 6th monthly update since starting the diary, cant believe how quick it has gone.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Sorry to hear about your niece and about the colds.

Still going strong on the money front, then!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 29th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thanks Cherryfudge. Debt is definitely going down. Just not as fast as I would like, but I guess everyone feels like that too. 10% in 6 months puts us in line for taking 5 years to pay the debt off. My youngest will be a teen by then!
    Rang sister today, niece is doing a lot better. They are still trying to sell the holiday as she's due her pins out then.
    DH came home at 5 this morning.. he looked awful! He got in bed at half 6 and stayed there until about 5. He sorted dinner and took little ones swimming (I was at work) and went back to bed! It took me 20 mins to wake him for work! I don't think he will manage all night. Luckily most of its overtime so isn't too bad if he has to come home.

Today has been a NSD !! Jacket potatoes again for dinner, sack of potatoes hasn't even lasted a week.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Sep 17, 10:29 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    10% is still a big chunk gone! And you never know what may come up in the next five years (pay rises, new jobs etc.) to speed up the repayments.

I worked waking nights for a couple of years and everyone has their own way of coping but the first night awake is definitely the worst. After two or three my body began to adjust. The hardest part is keeping the house quiet enough while the night worker is sleeping. If he feels the same when he gets in from tonight's work, he might benefit from getting to bed straight away and sneaking in an extra hour's sleep. I don't know how much freedom he has to control his working environment, but some people I know dim the lights and put a horror movie on, others put party music on and order pizza at stupid o'clock. I couldn't cope with either - I have all the lights on to trick my brain into thinking it's day, grab breaths of fresh air when I can and plan active jobs for the worst time, usually 4-6am. I have lovely memories of standing by the open door of work in a break between jobs and either watching the sky get light or staring at the snow falling past the street lights, depending on the season.

Sack of spuds - wow, they were obviously popular! I think it's still the cheapest way to buy them, isn't it? Unless you can grow your own, which is easy as long as you have space.

Hope your sister can sell the holiday.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning.
    Cherryfudge, he's been really struggling with sleeping for a while but this cold really seems to have thrown him. I woke him up at 7.45 last night as I was stood outside work, freezing and he went back to be for 45 mins when we got back. He has done almost 8 months without a break or holiday so hoping the almost 3 weeks he has off for the holiday will do him some good. He still has 3 weeks to use before march so hopefully can recover a bit.

Sack of spuds costs £7 at minute so can be a pretty cheap meal. Shame the meats to go with it can be expensive, £13 for a gammon joint last night, the little ones had been asking for gammon for weeks. It will hopefully do a few sandwiches too (Gammon doesn't last long here).

Really looking forward to doing my update this morning but 1 of the accounts isn't working, No information available. So will keep checking it today and update if I can. Need to do my next 10% 100 square, I remember doing the first so clearly.

Nice quiet day today, gammon in the slow cooker, lots and lots of washing to get through. Really need to sort somewhere for the airers to go now, Quiet a bit of washing that I cant dry in the dryer.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 01-10-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    SPC #591
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 1st Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Oh I love gammon but haven't had it for such a long time!

Have a lovely day CT x
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I would normally only buy gammon when it's half price but I think there is enough in the freezer to last us the week so thought i'd treat them this time.

Ive just had a look in the freezer and we have
    2 x packs chicken fillets
    2 x packs mince
    2 x pack tikka fillets (only 3 small fillets in each)
    bag of chicken pops
    bag of nuggets
    some random odd bits

Need to look at the best way of using them up taking the least time so I don't buy more quick meals.

Just checked the bank and it's working, off to do my monthly update.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    month 6 update
    Loan: - £0!
    mbna1: - £163
    lloyds: - £6417
    mbna2: - £7917
    barclay: - £3172
    tesco: - £8257
    sofa: - £3842

Total - £29768

£3786/33553 (11.2%) paid.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 01-10-2017 at 1:53 PM.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd Oct 17, 12:27 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    1st of the month and hoping to get back on track. Today has been NSD 1. Quiet a bit of Gammon left in the fridge.
    Not so money saving with the washing, 5 loads done today and most of it has gone in the dryer. I was coming up to bed ages ago but realised I hadn't washed my work jacket so had to wait to hang it up. It's supposed to be nice the next 2 days so will hopefully get some line dried.
    Right better get some sleep.
    SPC #591
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 5:57 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Morning! I'm a gammon lover here too! Just noticed you'd paid off your loan, great going!! I was like that with the washing yesterday! Fingers crossed for a better day really need to get stuff dried! Have a good day!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Oct 17, 11:40 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening all. Been a busy few days again. Just made a £70 CC payment and checked the accounts. I've been sorting through the little ones drawers and need to get them a few bits for the holiday but @sda 2 for £9 deal doesn't look too bad and think i'll be able to sort the younger 2 quiet cheaply
    My sister had her baby yesterday so want to go and get her a little something, they've actually gone on holiday this afternoon so got a week to get something.
    I put elec/gas meter readings in at the beginning of the month and they've dropped our DD slightly. I'm going to leave it in the account as I think we might need it by the end of the winter, I've had the heating on a few times already.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Oct 17, 12:08 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Congrats to your sister! They had a busy couple of days didn't they!

Re meats to go with the jacket potatoes: I like gammon too, and try to save a bit to put with leftover chicken in a pie. However, as you say, meat's expensive, so maybe people here could come up with cheaper alternatives? That's unless you like meat every day. Cheese or beans are the obvious alternatives to me (or cheesy beans ) but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Hope your DH is getting some rest now. Colds can be horrible especially if you can't rest.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Oct 17, 12:27 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    They definitely have Cherryfudge. She had her at 12 yesterday, she had some scans as she has cysts on her lungs but everything looked ok and got home about 10 last night. I knew they should have been going away today (her other 2 came early so she was hoping this one would too) I rang when I finished work to see how they were and to go and visit and they were already well on their way. Gutted I haven't seen her yet but hope they have a lovely time away.

We usually have cheese and beans with the jackets, it's things with the other potatoes that seem to cost a lot, the Gammon was Sunday roast. Ive fetched pork steaks for tomorrow bit we've still had to have 2 packs and DH can't leave any extra that's left, it all has to be eaten. Cheaper recipes/meals are definitely welcome.

We did make our own tikka pasties the other day as DS loves them at the minute, they came out really well. I had so.e tikka left and some bits of pastry so just wrapped a chunk in a bit of pastry, cooked and put in fridge, boys have loved my 'tikka bites' in their lunch boxes.

DH is still struggling but seems to be easing off a bit, kiddies have had sniffles, hopefully that's all.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 08-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Oct 17, 12:42 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Tikka bites sound delicious - perfect for winter lunches.

I know there are amazing threads of recipes on this forum somewhere but the only non-meat thing I can think of now (apart from the beans and cheese) is leek & potato soup. Oh, and that golden oldie, corned beef hash.

It seems to be the season of sniffles and lack of sleep. Roll on spring! Meanwhile, plenty of vitamins, plenty of fluids and sleep if and when it can be fitted in.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Oct 17, 12:50 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you. Will have a look for some food threads tomorrow.
    Ohh.. corned beef hash! The eldest asked for it the other day and I completely forgot. Something to go on the list this week.
    Now laid in bed comparing Lego prices when I really should be going to sleep. It's what the girls want for Christmas. Same price at Mr t and toys r us but get 10% staff discount at one and a free storage chest at the other... decisions! (I'm determined to get sorted this year and not be running round last minute).
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening.
    Not much to report today. Spent the day in my Pj's catching up on washing.

I have managed to spend £150 from the Christmas account though, but that's the younger 2 main present sorted, probably just some pencils/books and a set of clothes for them now.

DD2 is still up and feeling sick again, she is coughing and a slight wheeze (after me saying on another thread yesterday how well they were doing) so may be the cold DH has had and not just because it's school tomorrow.

Pork chops for dinner and DH will have the left overs warmed up when he gets in tomorrow. Had yum yums for pudding, veey sugary and filling, definitely a once a minth treat, not every week treat.

Right better go to bed as got carried away with washing all the bedding today, I forgot to do the girls uniforms! In the washer now so will get up early to put them in the dryer (They might have enough upstairs but don't want to wake DD3).
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Been a bit of a spendy one today. Nieces birthday so cards and £10 there, other nieces on Friday, need to get cards for that.

Done some shopping and cant believe how much I spent, only got pull ups and lunch box bits (fruit, bread, cheese) and some bottles of juice and it came to over £40.

DS has requested pasta bake for tea so at least it's cheap and quick.

Off to work soon so shouldn't be any more spending today.
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

9,283Users online

Martin's Twitter