Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 6th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 7,541Posts
    • 25,389Thanks
    Primrose
    Who's rushing in with this year's ISA investment?
    • 6th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    Who's rushing in with this year's ISA investment? 6th Apr 17 at 6:56 PM
    And what are you investing in?

Intrigued to know who invests their whole allowance at the beginning of every tax year (as opposed to drip feeding). Given the leap in allowance size I imagine not too many people will be able to afford to do this.

And will you be avoiding certain funds given the uncertainty of the Brexit negotiations ?
Page 2
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 20th Apr 17, 6:27 AM
    • 372 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    We're going "whole hog" this year with full £40k into our S&S ISAs. Already got the first two pots in, from a maturing Reg Saver and our "slush" RCI account. Just waiting for another couple of Reg Savers to mature in May, and that's us in!!!!

(then just sit back and wait for the slide.....yes, it will be all our fault!!!!)
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    See, I told you so.....as soon as we invest BOOM!!!! (although our May funds should be then bought a bit cheaper!!)
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 20th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    jamei305
    Market drops are just opportunities to lower your average purchase price
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 20th Apr 17, 3:05 PM
    • 9,449 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Market drops are just opportunities to lower your average purchase price
    Originally posted by jamei305
    Too bad if they drop just when you want the money.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 20th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 7,541 Posts
    • 25,389 Thanks
    Primrose
    Have money to invest. Just don,t want to tempt the gods while the election campaign is on. Have seen opinion polls go wrong before. Havie a fairly diverse portfolio. Just wonder where would be the best best bet given all the uncertainties of Brexit and the North Korea situation, the latter seeming to be something as haven,t seem to stock market seeming to be too worried about. (Or am I misreading this situation?)
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 20th Apr 17, 8:51 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    Snakey
    See, I told you so.....as soon as we invest BOOM!!!! (although our May funds should be then bought a bit cheaper!!)
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Fear not - it will shoot back up any minute now, because I'm re-jigging all of my pension fund investments and so will be out of the market for a couple of days.
    • ian-d
    • By ian-d 21st Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    ian-d
    I said to my missus, "watch this, I'll invest and something major will happen", funds bought, May announced general election within an hour...couldn't have timed it any better!!!

(think long term, think long term, think long term)
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 24th Apr 17, 10:58 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Fear not - it will shoot back up any minute now, because I'm re-jigging all of my pension fund investments and so will be out of the market for a couple of days.
    Originally posted by Snakey
    Hope you got back in the market for today Snakey!
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 24th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    Snakey
    I can go one better than that, turns out I'm not even out of it yet! The joys of relying on a professional to do stuff for you.

Still, if he messes around for a few more days I might have clawed back enough to pay his fee.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 25th Apr 17, 8:52 PM
    • 10,185 Posts
    • 9,277 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I think it is only a matter of time before HM Government start picking peoples pockets via ISAs also. It is too tempting for them. They are thieves.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 8,670 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    colsten
    I think it is only a matter of time before HM Government start picking peoples pockets via ISAs also. It is too tempting for them. They are thieves.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    For the last 18 years, it's been ISA holders who had the advantage of tax-free gains. Funny sort of thieves who give benefits to the people they are "robbing".
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 27th Apr 17, 4:09 AM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    also, taxation is not theft. and taxation is 1 of the key tools that could make the economy work for the benefit of the whole population, not just for the super-rich.

it's amazing how many people are hostile to both taxation and to governments in general. co-incidentally, that's the same view held by tax-cheating billionaires, who seek to undermine the power of democratic governments in order to increase their own wealth and power. just a co-incidence, i'm sure, and nothing to do with those same tax-cheating billionaires also controlling most of the mass media.

(before you ask: no, i haven't been been drinking )
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 12th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 372 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Well we shall be making the final payments into our S&S ISAs today, so that's us ALL IN for this year.

We shouldn't need the money for at least 10 years, so here's to growth over that period.

But to be fair, we'd have only had it sitting in RCI "float" at 1.1%, so it hasn't got to do much before it out-performs that. (yes we have other cash in high paying accounts too)
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 12th May 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,494 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    Just got my bonus so have maxed out an ISA in my name and one in my partners name. Any additional savings will go into my pension for the remainder of the year.
    IITYYHTBMAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,091Users online

Martin's Twitter